onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Colchester U v Port Vale

Fosse69

5 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

I agree... but by “those types of players” we usually mean doesn’t defend much, bit of a maverick but it’s worth sacrificing the system and hard work as they pull some magic out of the hat on a consistent basis.

Ben unfortunately hasn’t done that enough to warrant a place. He isn’t good enough to be let off the other work required.

Sums it up really. Looks good when and where it doesn't matter generally. Askey did seem prepared to look at him again at the start of preseason, then for whatever reason it all went wrong again. The problem is I can only see someone like Macc Town being interested and I suspect they won't pay his wages. Not a young player anymore and I suspect he'll drop out of the league structure for good next season. In the position he plays he should be pretty close to his peak now so it will be hard for him to drop down to the conference and bounce back.

Advert

3 hours ago, JRC said:

Sums it up really. Looks good when and where it doesn't matter generally. Askey did seem prepared to look at him again at the start of preseason, then for whatever reason it all went wrong again. The problem is I can only see someone like Macc Town being interested and I suspect they won't pay his wages. Not a young player anymore and I suspect he'll drop out of the league structure for good next season. In the position he plays he should be pretty close to his peak now so it will be hard for him to drop down to the conference and bounce back.

Quite a sad state of affairs for him when you consider he’s come from a premier league club, I bet he didn’t envisage this happening. Just shows how quickly it  can all go wrong for a player. 

16 hours ago, PV1973 said:

It doesn’t take a tactical genius to see we've only got 2 formations at the moment that see either Cullen in there or an extra midfielder instead. 

Maybe Whitfield has burnt his bridges now with Askey, supposedly he came back fit and ready but it seems it was too little too late. It’s a pity because he could probably do a job for us if he applied himself. It must be hard now to get fixed up from here unless he drops down a league maybe?

Just meant about the team selection really & more to do with the players themselves rather than the formation. Last few seasons our line-up has been the source of constant debate & many long arguments about adding countless squad players back into the starting 11 who were in the background/not playing, because we A) had too many ins & outs, B) had too many players in general, & C) hadn't see them all play much at all, therefore nobody really knew our best 11.

Now we've actually got a bit of much-needed stability which I think will help us get some consistency in the team despite a slight lack of depth. Less players naturally means less changes, & everyone gets to play with each other a lot more. I looked into it a bit more a year or two back & the top teams in each league always directly correlated with the smallest squads/least players used!

I agree on Whitfield, would like to think he could turn it around like Rawlinson has, but sounds like it may be a bit too late for that.

The most worrying thing is that the probable starting eleven will be same as last season with Amoo in for Hannant.Despite releasing nine players most of the new signings will start on the bench.Where are the goals coming from unless Cullen plays along with Pope or Bennett starts with Pope.

16 minutes ago, Erniemossrules said:

The most worrying thing is that the probable starting eleven will be same as last season with Amoo in for Hannant.Despite releasing nine players most of the new signings will start on the bench.Where are the goals coming from unless Cullen plays along with Pope or Bennett starts with Pope.

It is a slight worry yeah, but a summer together with new additions & a completely different atmosphere could make all the difference, we'll just have to see. I don't think we're promotion material right now but who knows. My main worry is us just keeping everyone fit, injuries could be our main problem this season with the kind of depth we (don't) have.

I can't see any improvements in the squad. Maybe I missed what happened with Whitfield, I always thought he was exciting and can pull a goal from nowhere. Lack of goals in the squad worries me, I fear a drubbing tomorrow and a lower finish than last year. I just don't rate Askey or his signings. I fully support him and the team though and hope I am wrong. Goo arn boys and good luck!!

I can't see any improvements in the squad. Maybe I missed what happened with Whitfield, I always thought he was exciting and can pull a goal from nowhere. Lack of goals in the squad worries me, I fear a drubbing tomorrow and a lower finish than last year. I just don't rate Askey or his signings. I fully support him and the team though and hope I am wrong. Goo arn boys and good luck!!

Good to see the negativity has spread to the other side of the world

8 hours ago, Tomo said:

Just meant about the team selection really & more to do with the players themselves rather than the formation. Last few seasons our line-up has been the source of constant debate & many long arguments about adding countless squad players back into the starting 11 who were in the background/not playing, because we A) had too many ins & outs, B) had too many players in general, & C) hadn't see them all play much at all, therefore nobody really knew our best 11.

Now we've actually got a bit of much-needed stability which I think will help us get some consistency in the team despite a slight lack of depth. Less players naturally means less changes, & everyone gets to play with each other a lot more. I looked into it a bit more a year or two back & the top teams in each league always directly correlated with the smallest squads/least players used!

I agree on Whitfield, would like to think he could turn it around like Rawlinson has, but sounds like it may be a bit too late for that.

I wasn’t having a dig or anything at you mate. Just pointing out the obvious the team pretty much picks itself in 1 of 2 formations for me. I’m sure the opposition will know this too. 

We await the starting 11 eagerly because, injuries apart, this is clearly who JA regards as his strongest 11. I suspect Kennedy will start at CB with either Leggy or Smudge as he's clearly seeking a bit more quality (passing wise) from the back. Or maybe he'll wait till the home game next Saturday to throw him into the mix? 

I would be amazed if Amoo doesn't start. 

Is Pope still club captain? For me, he's still the best footballer at the club but he's knocking on age wise. 

UTV. SVA. 

I'd be happy with a point, maybe 1 1. 

Good luck to the lads tomorrow. I won't be there in body but I will in spirit.

I don't hang on this idea that we haven't improved the first team, I believe that we now have a squad who will work hard for each other and have the ability to spring a few surprises.

We aren't promotion material in my opinion but given our position a mere month or so ago that was never going to be on the cards, Slow and steady progress whilst Kevin and Carol get to grips with a new season.

Tomorrow is a conundrum, do we play for a draw or go gung-ho for the win? In my opinion we should go there and attack from the off, catch Colchester cold and see how it goes. I don't think many fans will be surprised if we lose there so go and give them a game.

A big 'Up the Vale' from me to all travelling there. 

Archived