onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Colchester U v Port Vale

Fosse69

On 28/07/2019 at 12:49, TheSage said:

Can't argue too much with you though Cullen would be unlucky and a fit Montano probably in the mix.

I don't know which thoughts to write down!

With my pessimistic hat on I don't think we have enough strength/quality in defence and midfield. They both tend to pick themselves, with little debate to be had, a reflection of a lack of strength and competitiveness in those areas. Back in the summer I was hoping we'd have seen more than one new player making our first XI. That's more or less the same team we had last year. Sorry. I know that's a bit negative but I thought we'd have made more changes to our new line up than that. We should do a little better but I'm anxious still. Can't see many goals in that line-up, Pope (again, thank the lord) excluded.

But, on the other hand, we've had pre-season to plan and prepare, the manager has now got in more players of his choice, and it's been wonderful to see the black clouds of NS removed from over Vale Park and replaced with blue skies and sunshine of the new owners. It's given us all a real boost. Anything can and does happen on the opening day so why not us? The bench will be stronger and the ethos and atmosphere will be far better. I think we'll be fitter and if we can keep up a pressing game and high tempo for 90 minutes there is nothing to fear at this level.

As you say, it is a new era. And the feel good factor has returned. So who knows?

Pick whichever paragraph best fits!!

Me too hoping for more strength in the first eleven

We still look a weak squad of players. Askey tonight said a budget in the bottom half of the league standings, i believe, and i have to say it shows. 

Will we play with caution ? or will we play with more freedom to attack ? We have to remember that last season the reason we had one of the best defence records for most of the season was that our midfield did very little attacking. If this season we do attack more then that will leave our defence open far more also.

The back four looks weak to me. Brown has to be player of the season again to keep us out of bottom four.

Might be negative but i believe it to be realistic.

100% pleased with off field developments and roll on the coming months / years to develop even more. Lets hope we start to show signs of improvement on the field too. It is on the field that keeps us all going each week and each season. We are needed more than ever now to support our owners but we need the team to show much needed improvement.

Advert

I don't rate Joyce, but Arthur obviously does. Tellingly, on the BBC Radio Stoke interview recently, he was asked about his "three key midfielders" (no names given) and he immediately started talking about Joyce. He also gave a stat though where he said we'd never lost under him when Joyce/Conlon/Oyeleke had started together. Is that right?

For me, the only choice to make is whether to play 4-3-3 (and so Cullen misses out) or 4-4-2 (and so Joyce misses out). The other 10 players pick themselves.

I think the starting 11 will be as most above, with:

Brown

Gibbons Legge Smith Crookes

Manny Joyce Conlon

Worrall Pope Amoo

Although there's only 1 new player in the starting line up, having Amoo instead of Hannant will mean there's a lot more fire power up front. Towards the end of last season when we started picking up results a lot of the goals came through Worrall and we were limited to looking to only one side of the pitch to find Worrall - having an attacking option either side of Pope is going to result in options for the midfield left and right and more should create more chances as well as make us harder to defend against.

When Worrall came back last season he was one of/the best player at the back end of the season so I wouldn't want him pushed back into midfield to try and get Cullen in the team. Hopefully the starting place up front between Pope/Cullen/Bennett will work itself out after a month or two and then there's always a good option off the bench an hour or so in when their defence starts to tire.

1 hour ago, gavcradd said:

I don't rate Joyce, but Arthur obviously does. Tellingly, on the BBC Radio Stoke interview recently, he was asked about his "three key midfielders" (no names given) and he immediately started talking about Joyce. He also gave a stat though where he said we'd never lost under him when Joyce/Conlon/Oyeleke had started together. Is that right?

No, we lost against FGR with all three starting. The biggest thing was not Joyce starting, it was Manny. Under Askey with Manny P7 W4 D2 L1, without P9 W0 D2 L7. For me Joyce played quite well when we played well and badly when we didn't. Whether this is cause or effect - I think the latter. 

Just listened to the Askey interview and he seems to rate Worrall as a good option in a midfield three and was also complementary about Monty. 

I think when everyone is fit, we could see him trying a more attacking 4-3-3 in home games, with Manny driving us forward in the middle.

Brown

Gibbons Smith Legge Crookes

Worrall Manny Conlon

Amoo  Pope/Cullen  Monty

I would also like to see 4-4-2 in home games at some point. Only problem is if Manny or Conlon are injured, I’m not sure our back up options can play in a two.

4 hours ago, gavcradd said:

For me, the only choice to make is whether to play 4-3-3 (and so Cullen misses out) or 4-4-2 (and so Joyce misses out). The other 10 players pick themselves.

I can't see Cullen playing out wide, as many here are suggesting, as he's never lined up there in pre-season (to my recollection anyway - feel free to correct me).

I think what Askey has done is recognised we have a good starting XI, but no strength in depth or options on the bench. The back-up players this year look much better to me than last year, with more options to boot, despite a smaller squad.

So although Amoo is the only new signing to walk straight in, that's not to say we haven't made good signings.

I predict 12th-15th this season, with anything more a bonus. Then we can build from there.

With Amoo for Hannant we have more threat going forward, but Hannant for all his limitations, was a scrapper. We actually missed him a lot last season when he didn't play. Not saying he was any great shakes, but he did a job at our level. 

The thought of Crooks and Amoo down our left fills me with dread when we are on the back foot. Worrall and Gibbo work down the right because they both have speed and work rate to cover eachother.

A lot of last season we were really lopsided, with all our quality down one side. And really week on the other. It doesn't take other teams long to work this out and just head that way.

With Amoo for Hannant we have more threat going forward, but Hannant for all his limitations, was a scrapper. We actually missed him a lot last season when he didn't play. Not saying he was any great shakes, but he did a job at our level. 
The thought of Crooks and Amoo down our left fills me with dread when we are on the back foot. Worrall and Gibbo work down the right because they both have speed and work rate to cover eachother.
A lot of last season we were really lopsided, with all our quality down one side. And really week on the other. It doesn't take other teams long to work this out and just head that way.
The one thing that sh1ts up teams in this league is pace. Under Adams I recall Hunt , then of Rotterdam being taken off early as Vincent did him all the first half. Hunt is now a Crewe legend , albeit not currently that mobile. Just go for it and we will win more than we lose.

I think you're probably right.

It's partly a mindset isn't it? But players like Browne, Worrall, Monty and Amoo are quick and Cullen is no slouch. It looks like that is where our strengths might lie, not in defending deep with ten men behind the ball hoping that Pope might get his head on a free kick.

My major concern is when we don't have the ball. You have to have some physicality and height and strength in midfield - to win 50:50s and loose balls. There are going to be occasions when teams throw the kitchen sink at us and we have to be strong and competitive. Kay helped us last year. Who can do what he (and Grant) did?

I'd love to see us having a go at teams, getting the ball out wide and telling Browne/Amoo and Worrall/Monty to go for the byline every time. far more exciting for us to watch.

Does anyone know if Askey has widened the pitch or not?

2 hours ago, CAVALIER said:
6 hours ago, toyahw said:

The one thing that sh1ts up teams in this league is pace. Under Adams I recall Hunt , then of Rotterdam being taken off early as Vincent did him all the first half. Hunt is now a Crewe legend , albeit not currently that mobile. Just go for it and we will win more than we lose.

That is a fair enough point mate. SH 1 T or bust. I don't think we have the players to avoid bust, But could be wrong, Hope I'm wrong. Just can't see that  happening. 

Imagine our line up is roughly:

Brown
Gibbons
Legge
Smith
Crookes
Conlon
Manny
Worrall
Amoo
Pope

Then either Cullen or Joyce in there depending on formation etc. Looks as though most are pretty confident pointing out 9/10 of our starters, which is a big positive, as we all seem to know our best side before the season has even started this time around. Situation is a lot different from the last 4 seasons.

Getting excited now, 48 hour countdown!

12 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I suspect he's on a decent wage and it wouldn't surprise me if he either treads water for 12 months not playing or we end up having to make a financial contribution to get him to move. 

Archived