onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Colchester U v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

6 hours ago, newchapel valiant said:

You really don't like Smith do you.

When I used to go I found one in six his performance level very good but the other five nothing write home about .

No offence to the lad but I do not feel that we can move forwards with him a regular in the team .

Just a personal opinion hope he comes good because Vale need all of the players to be better than what they showed the paying public last season because of that’s the best they can offer then we  have no chance of Port Vale becoming anything other than mediocre.

3 hours ago, Vale fan in Alsager said:

When I used to go I found one in six his performance level very good but the other five nothing write home about .

No offence to the lad but I do not feel that we can move forwards with him a regular in the team .

Just a personal opinion hope he comes good because Vale need all of the players to be better than what they showed the paying public last season because of that’s the best they can offer then we  have no chance of Port Vale becoming anything other than mediocre.

Bizarre very solid defender who rarely makes mistakes. Very rare a centreforward gets the better of him. If you don't notice a defender it generally means he's doing the basics consistently well.

Bizarre very solid defender who rarely makes mistakes. Very rare a centreforward gets the better of him. If you don't notice a defender it generally means he's doing the basics consistently well.

It’s literally because VFIA is fixated on Smith supported stoke as a lad

5 hours ago, Vale fan in Alsager said:

Smith 'came good' a few years ago and if we're honest the team haven't been good enough to claim to be mediocre since Page left.

5-3-2.I feel that we have very little pace in defence and that’s why I’d go for a back five. The problem with a lack of pace means like other seasons we sit too deep and invite the opposition to come onto us. This means that we can’t hold a line because if an opposition player with speed gets away, we’ll never catch him. Bury did a job on Manny and I expect to see that throughout the season. I’d like to see the right and left back linking up with their respective midfielders, with a view to pushing the ball over the top into the hole for the wingers to run into. This should bring an end to our narrow tactics. However it’s no good getting to the bye line looking to put the ball into the area and no one else has been quick enough to get into the area, awaiting the ball to be crossed. This season I think we’ve got five players that command a starting place Brown,Manny,Pope,Gibbons & Worrall, where last season it was only three.

This, for me, is the strongest line up and the one I believe Askey will choose.

To me, this is a very good side. Our issue was the lack of strength in depth. This team, with a subs bench of the following is more than capable of finishing at least mid table:

Rawlinson, Montano, Lloyd, Burgess, Browne, Bennett, Cullen

One thing to remember is whilst Askey performed miracles at Macc, it took him 5 years. A little patience should be in order over the next few seasons. Consistency is key.

lineup.png

16 minutes ago, PV1993 said:

To me, this is a very good side. Our issue was the lack of strength in depth. This team, with a subs bench of the following is more than capable of finishing at least mid table:

One thing to remember is whilst Askey performed miracles at Macc, it took him 5 years. A little patience should be in order over the next few seasons. Consistency is key.

lineup.png

I don't know if that's our strongest team and always prefer two forwards but I do think that you've got it spot on for the starting 11 Saturday

15 minutes ago, Smugsy said:

I don't know if that's our strongest team and always prefer two forwards but I do think that you've got it spot on for the starting 11 Saturday

Whilst I see the merits of two strikers, I always feel in the modern day you really need 3 in the centre so as to not get overrun there. As long as players get around the main striker enough, there's no reason why this formation can't work. But it involves a lot of grafters, which is what Askey has done, and why our transfer business is a lot better than most people think.

48 minutes ago, PV1993 said:

lineup.png

One new signing in the starting X1. 

I was hoping for at least 4, not panned out that way at all has it .

Can't argue with that team I guess Cullen for Pope is the only conundrum. 

That's the issue Darren and I agree with you 100%. You would have wanted more than 1 new signing in our first XI after such a poor season last time around. But the only lads we've signed, by the look of it, who can compete for places, are forwards and you could even argue that Gibbons for Clark has weakened the back four. It still looks short on goals.

We can but hope that pre-season preparations, getting us fitter, and the new optimism around the place will carry us through. 

I suspect the key thing is fitness and if Askey can get us 10% fitter as he did towards the end of last season it can make a difference at this level of football. 

Thanks for your responses to my post let’s hope we have a good season.

A season where folk are enjoying what they are seeing and it creates a queue most home games as the shanahans deserve all the support in the world .

Be going up collect me son and nephews season tickets tomoz

UTV 

4 hours ago, darren1810 said:

One new signing in the starting X1. 

I was hoping for at least 4, not panned out that way at all has it .

Can't argue with that team I guess Cullen for Pope is the only conundrum. 

And instead we seem to have filled our squad with back up players. Other than Cullen and amoo I can’t really see the others having much impact at all. If we go 433 as pv1993 says (I think that will be the team Saturday as well) we are short a midfielder. Nothing on the bench if one of those gets hurt. Still not a fan of Joyce either personally b

Archived