onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Colchester U v Port Vale

Fosse69

Welcome to the New Era, the first league game in the long journey to where we belong, well  at least a more hopeful future. Layer Road a long trip and usually a hard game, but with a more hopeful atmosphere around the club, why not a draw or even a win. Teams are not usually settled in August with new players so why not?,  

Advert

Can't argue too much with you though Cullen would be unlucky and a fit Montano probably in the mix.

I don't know which thoughts to write down!

With my pessimistic hat on I don't think we have enough strength/quality in defence and midfield. They both tend to pick themselves, with little debate to be had, a reflection of a lack of strength and competitiveness in those areas. Back in the summer I was hoping we'd have seen more than one new player making our first XI. That's more or less the same team we had last year. Sorry. I know that's a bit negative but I thought we'd have made more changes to our new line up than that. We should do a little better but I'm anxious still. Can't see many goals in that line-up, Pope (again, thank the lord) excluded.

But, on the other hand, we've had pre-season to plan and prepare, the manager has now got in more players of his choice, and it's been wonderful to see the black clouds of NS removed from over Vale Park and replaced with blue skies and sunshine of the new owners. It's given us all a real boost. Anything can and does happen on the opening day so why not us? The bench will be stronger and the ethos and atmosphere will be far better. I think we'll be fitter and if we can keep up a pressing game and high tempo for 90 minutes there is nothing to fear at this level.

As you say, it is a new era. And the feel good factor has returned. So who knows?

Pick whichever paragraph best fits!!

Keeping Manny and Brown was definitely our best bit of business. Everyone is 100% behind the Shanahans, appreciate what they have done saving the club from the previous knob, and the mess they have inherited. Surely. Everyone is 100% behimd Arthur and the lads and hoping for the best.

But football fans like to talk about players, tactics and stuff and have different opinions, are pessimistic/optimistic. It is part of the "fun". Role on Sat.

2 hours ago, PV1973 said:

Looking forward to it. Can’t see us starting 4-4-2 but I think we’ll go with. 

Brown

gibbons - Legge - Smith - crookes

manny - joyce - conlon

worrall - Pope - amoo 

I think he will go with that as well. Although it is the same team as last season, bar Amoo, at least we now have attacking options on the bench in the form of Cullen, Monty, Browne and Bennett. 

I still think we will (really hoping) we utilise the loan market and bring in a DM and CB.  Surely there are a couple of quality ones out there that would really push to get in our starting eleven. 

If the team stays as it is, we really need Worrall, Amoo, Manny and Conlon to chip in with goals.

The other option is to take out Joyce, and replace him with Browne (when fit) which gives us genuine pace on both flanks. (Which was a major factor in our last promotion)

Also, I remember that season Loft created quite a few chances from left back, which could be replicated by giving Monty another go there, or Campbell-Gordon.

Brown

Gibbons Legge Smith Monty 

Worrall Manny Conlon

Browne   Pope/ Cullen   Amoo

I think there would be more goals in the above team, but it might leave us a bit vulnerable at the back. 

What we should have this season is a lot more pace on the counter, which, in theory at least, should make teams a little more cautious when attacking us.

If we can remain as solid defensively as we did away from home last season there’s no reason why we can’t pick up a point in this game.

We have a bit more firepower in the squad but I’d still like to see another front man before the end of the window, along with another ball winner in midfield to win those second balls, which, barring mistakes, is where the game will most likely be won or lost against Colchester

I always look forward to the Colchester game because I can drive the back way through the lovely Essex countryside but it's never been very fruitful in terms of the footy. The only game recently where we got anything from it was two years ago, I think, where we got a 1-1 draw after a pretty good second half. Worrall played in midfield that game and gave a really good account of himself that resulted, as I remember, in the equaliser to a dodgy first half goal from Szmodics who looked well offside. Will history repeat itself? I think I'd be happy coming away with a point.

Colchester are going to give us one of the sternest tests we could have asked for in our opening game as they always seem to start the season on the front foot whereas we are generally slow starters. They are also a big, tall side with, as I recall from last season, 5 outfield players over six foot, and they used their physical strength to devastating effect when we were lucky to come away with just a two goal defeat. They had also done their homework on us and attacked relentlessly down our left where we had Hannant and Montano constantly exposed, with their right back getting a goal where he simply wasn't picked up on the flanks nor as he moved inside. This season, I expect pretty much the same with Manny, the key to our game in midfield, getting plenty of personal attention.

So, in terms of selection and tactics, Arthur has a lot of thinking to do. Personally, I'd go for 4-4-2 with Popey and Cullen up front and try to take the game to them as much as we can. Attack would be the best form of defence - Cullen in particular might get more than a bit of success against their two big and relatively immobile centre backs. If we try to defend Aspin-style and rely on the long ball, we're finished. Trying as much as we can to pin them back is, I think, our best hope.

Anyway, looking forward to it. UTV.

5 hours ago, Fosse69 said:

Welcome to the New Era, the first league game in the long journey to where we belong, well  at least a more hopeful future. Layer Road a long trip and usually a hard game, but with a more hopeful atmosphere around the club, why not a draw or even a win. Teams are not usually settled in August with new players so why not?,  

Colchester havnt played at Layer road for years Fosse.

The new ground is dead easy to find.  It's right next to the A12 dual carriageway.  You can pre-book parking at the ground via the club website - it's six quid.  Or you can, if I remember rightly, use the park and ride car park which is the other side of the dual carriageway and is about 10 (or 15 with arthritic knees) minutes walk from the ground.  There is a McDonalds right next to it as well.

Archived