onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match thread: Port Vale v Bury

robf

23 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

I think there is a difference between “hoping they succeed” and “being behind them” 

If “the shirt sizings were not right” is the thing that makes you “start to wonder” about Carol and Kevin then I’m sorry but you don’t have a real understanding of just how much they have had to do to bring the club back from the edge after Smurthwaite truly shafted us.

Being behind them means having empathy, understanding there is so so so much to do and not jumping on the small things as they try and trying to rebuild our club... which currently you are not... that’s my opinion, which you argue I’m allowed to have!

You say people should be allowed to ask questions... but jumped on me when I asked someone their opinion on the Burnley game in order to get some balance you have requested. Consistency please.

You are very much entitled to thinking that! 

Regarding the shirts, you haven't read what I wrote. The lad read "Away shirts for sale" and drove down. The club could and should have written "xx and xx size, still not available". But they didn't. THAT is the mistake, I think he's entitled to criticize. 

I don't give a <ovf censored> when the shirts are out, or if the seat I sit on is cleaned of bird <ovf censored>. I just wan't progress on and off the pitch. And I do believe, that we have a better squad this season, than we did last season.

But you can believe I'm a Stokie, a wum or what ever else people get accused of, my life goes on. I am behind them, I do empathize with the shithole that was left for them. But as I've said before, which I think people don't understand, when people criticize the shop, the SoMe etc: that is NOT a critique of Carol or Kevin! Believe it or not! 

They DO have a staff in those positions, that are very much allowed to have independent thoughts, and do their jobs, without Carol or Kevin holding their hand, every single step of the way! And therefor, the guys critique of lack of information about the shirt, is therefor not a critique of Carol or Kevin, but the staff that are supposed to be able to handle and give the information.

But most people can't separate those things. If I ie. criticize a steward next home game, is that also a direct critique of Carol or Kevin? No, because they, as the staff in the shop, the SoMe, the kiosks etc etc, are people hired to do a job. And therefor it's a critique of THEM, not the owners!

Advert

There is a team in Scotland who have an average of 200 goals against over the last 2 seasons, finished bottom of the league many times and to add insult to injury the one game they were winning was called off at half time so they got no revenue from pie sales.

In comparison we lost 2-1 in a friendly.

12 hours ago, toyahw said:

Don't get me wrong, this is not an anti-Askey post. And we were heading in the wrong direction at the time, and he kept us up. A bit like Aspin did previous season. A change was needed.

But the facts are last season we got less average points per game and scored less average goals per game under Askey than under Aspin. Sure, Aspo had to go. Something was deeply wrong at that time.

Our worst performance (vs Macc) was under Askey.

Aspin was not the useless devil incarnate and neither was Askey saviour. 

I wish him all the best of course. But it is a very simplistic view to say he pulled out a miracle and changed us from a dour team grinding out results to a free flowing footballing machine.

I'm not convinced by him myself. Neither am I convinced by the recruitment, or by the current balance of the squad.

We are weak at full back (apart from Gibbo when in the good books), lack decent cover at CB, light weight in CM, and really super light weight if Manny gets crocked. Three central up front options, but an injury or two, when one is injury prone and the Pope is getting on a bit?

This is not a popular opinion I know. Not meaning to be negative. And I really hope I am wrong. But you can only say it how you see it. And this is not based on pre-season friendlies. 

I think we will struggle again.

I tend to agree with this but think Askey has done as much as he can to strengthen our biggest weakness i.e. our lack of goals. The forwards we've recruited - Amoo, Cullen and Bennett - give us far more potential to put this right, along with Pope. The biggest weakness for me is in midfield where we are in desperate need of a box to box midfielder who is going to give us 40 games a season, and someone who can put the ball in the net from midfield going forward. As things stand, the key to much of this will inevitably be the manager's selection and - if he keeps to his favoured 4-3-3 - it will probably mean playing only one of Pope and Cullen. Yesterday's second half has clearly given him much to think about for next week's opener if he wants to increase our goals tally.

Colchester are going to give us one of the sternest tests we could have asked for in our opening game as they always seem to start the season on the front foot whereas we have generally been slow starters. They are also a big, tall side with, as I recall from last season, 5 outfield players over six foot, and they used their physical strength to devastating effect last season where we were lucky to come away with just a two goal defeat. They had also done their homework on us and attacked relentlessly down our left where we had Hannant and Montano constantly exposed, with their right back getting a goal where he simply wasn't picked up on the flanks nor as he moved inside. This season, I expect pretty much the same with Manny, the key to our game in midfield, getting plenty of personal attention.

So, in terms of selection and tactics, Arthur has a lot of thinking to do. Personally, I'd go for 4-4-2 and try to take the game to them as much as we can. Attack would be the best form of defence -  Cullen in particular might get more than a bit of success against their two big and relatively immobile centre backs. If we try to defend Aspin-style and rely on the long ball, we're finished.

UTV.

32 minutes ago, geosname said:

There is a team in Scotland who have an average of 200 goals against over the last 2 seasons, finished bottom of the league many times and to add insult to injury the one game they were winning was called off at half time so they got no revenue from pie sales.

In comparison we lost 2-1 in a friendly.

Fort William?

I follow them on twitter! Now they really do have something to moan about... yet somehow they don’t! 

A lesson for some maybe?

1 hour ago, CambridgeDon said:

I tend to agree with this but think Askey has done as much as he can to strengthen our biggest weakness i.e. our lack of goals. The forwards we've recruited - Amoo, Cullen and Bennett - give us far more potential to put this right, along with Pope. The biggest weakness for me is in midfield where we are in desperate need of a box to box midfielder who is going to give us 40 games a season, and someone who can put the ball in the net from midfield going forward. As things stand, the key to much of this will inevitably be the manager's selection and - if he keeps to his favoured 4-3-3 - it will probably mean playing only one of Pope and Cullen. Yesterday's second half has clearly given him much to think about for next week's opener if he wants to increase our goals tally.

Colchester are going to give us one of the sternest tests we could have asked for in our opening game as they always seem to start the season on the front foot whereas we have generally been slow starters. They are also a big, tall side with, as I recall from last season, 5 outfield players over six foot, and they used their physical strength to devastating effect last season where we were lucky to come away with just a two goal defeat. They had also done their homework on us and attacked relentlessly down our left where we had Hannant and Montano constantly exposed, with their right back getting a goal where he simply wasn't picked up on the flanks nor as he moved inside. This season, I expect pretty much the same with Manny, the key to our game in midfield, getting plenty of personal attention.

So, in terms of selection and tactics, Arthur has a lot of thinking to do. Personally, I'd go for 4-4-2 and try to take the game to them as much as we can. Attack would be the best form of defence -  Cullen in particular might get more than a bit of success against their two big and relatively immobile centre backs. If we try to defend Aspin-style and rely on the long ball, we're finished.

UTV.

I think he'll play Pope, Cullen and Amoo up front. Use Cullen as an inside left or right and have Amoo on the other side (probably left). He'll get width on the right from Worral and Gibbons on the overlap. He's not signed Cullen not to play him and Pope will play if fit.

1 hour ago, Iron Curtain said:

Fort William?

I follow them on twitter! Now they really do have something to moan about... yet somehow they don’t! 

A lesson for some maybe?

That's the one mate.... talk about keeping the faith, bloody hell..... good on em and good luck to them

5 hours ago, DistantVale said:

I think the jury is out as to whether we have strengthened anywhere only the results in the first few games will prove if we have or we haven't !  

IMHO Cullen and Amoo have better pedigree's than Miller or Hannant so the likelihood is they are an improvement (I take there have been exceptions in the past), it will take more than a "few games" to make any kind of judgement.

With regard to how much has had to be done this close season off the pitch, Carol said at the SC meeting on Thursday that the ground licence expires on 31st July and they have had a tremendous amount of work to do to make it compliant with regulations - work that was totally neglected by our former owner. 

As fans we just look at on pitch matters, signings and the like but the owners have had a load to take on board in addition to that.  They have appointed Stadium Manager - Steve Brown - who has a to do list as long as your arm.  They have also brought in lots of new equipment for Steve Speed I'm told, to make his job of looking after the pitch a bit easier. 

The issues over the kit have driven them mad and it's only down to folk like Andy in the shop that we have kept Errea on board and got the delivery before the season that it was able to go on sale this week.

None of this sort of stuff makes headline news but it is vital to the smooth running of the club and we now have folk who realise its importance rather than just ignoring such things. 

Yes a few mistakes will be made and the club will learn from them.  I'm prepared to forgive not having all shirt sizes on sale though if that's all that goes wrong.  Contrast that with the mistakes that have been made over the previous three years and thank our lucky stars.

Askey has had a difficult job with signings this close season. We have had 3 relegation battles on the bounce and stayed in this division by only the smallest of margins. In addition we have had a new manager and an ownership change which as fans we know is for the better. However, as a footballer who is an outsider to the club looking in it would be easy to understand if he looked elsewhere. The better the player the better his options and I am sure we are towards the bottom of any such list.  We need a few seasons of stability and progress before we become one of those better options. Once we are Askey may be able to sign these better players. Until then its bargain basement shopping looking for the odd undiscovered rough diamond.

19 hours ago, toyahw said:

Don't get me wrong, this is not an anti-Askey post. And we were heading in the wrong direction at the time, and he kept us up. A bit like Aspin did previous season. A change was needed.

But the facts are last season we got less average points per game and scored less average goals per game under Askey than under Aspin. Sure, Aspo had to go. Something was deeply wrong at that time.

Our worst performance (vs Macc) was under Askey.

Aspin was not the useless devil incarnate and neither was Askey saviour. 

I wish him all the best of course. But it is a very simplistic view to say he pulled out a miracle and changed us from a dour team grinding out results to a free flowing footballing machine.

I'm not convinced by him myself. Neither am I convinced by the recruitment, or by the current balance of the squad.

We are weak at full back (apart from Gibbo when in the good books), lack decent cover at CB, light weight in CM, and really super light weight if Manny gets crocked. Three central up front options, but an injury or two, when one is injury prone and the Pope is getting on a bit?

This is not a popular opinion I know. Not meaning to be negative. And I really hope I am wrong. But you can only say it how you see it. And this is not based on pre-season friendlies. 

I think we will struggle again.

Toyah, there is no need to apologise. We all hope we’re wrong but I find your comments, both relevant and accurate.

We all want PVFC show an improvement to repay the faith of Kevin and Carol.

MPVGA

Long time reader, first time poster.

Ridiculous overreaction to a pre-season match on here. We have to give players a chance to show what they can do in a match that matters.

Evans wasn’t great but he’s not played any football since May for goodness sake. I was impressed by Amoo, looks very direct and just what we were missing last season.

3 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:
18 minutes ago, Vale89 said:

Ridiculous overreaction to a pre-season match on here. We have to give players a chance to show what they can do in a match that matters.

Evans wasn’t great but he’s not played any football since May for goodness sake. I was impressed by Amoo, looks very direct and just what we were missing last season.

Welcome to OVF , proper perspectives especially welcome.

Losing to a team thrown together is very worrying.

Then Askey saying it will give them a kick up the backside ,oh dear already they need motivating.

It doesn’t bode well friendly or not .

I would just hope the fans have something shout about this season .Too many very 1 in 6 players spell  disaster .

Not negative just going on what I think of the regulars who I have watched for years 

21 hours ago, Vale89 said:

Based on that performance would you start evans next week?

Archived