onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match thread: Port Vale v Bury

robf

1 hour ago, DistantVale said:

I think the jury is out as to whether we have strengthened anywhere only the results in the first few games will prove if we have or we haven't !  

If you're not at least a little optimistic that Cullen, Amoo, Browne and Bennett are an improvement on what we had up top and out wide last season you need to seek help. 

Advert

6 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

We sign chancers every year who have for the majoriry have flopped. But it seems ok for us to that this season..:

top half id be happy with personally don’t see enough in the midfield yet. 

I completely agree about the midfield, unless Oyeleke can play 40 games. But my point is that realistically we were always going to sign a lot of players this summer and many of them would be questionable if you judge them on previous stats. But Cullen and Amoo are good players for this league. Retaining Brown who is arguably the best goalkeeper in League Two and Oyeleke, who has tha talent to play higher and now just needs a bit of luck on the injury front, and I don't see why some people are so doom and gloom. Yes, a midfielder who has proven he can chip in with goals and a centre back with more pedigree than Keiran Kennedy would have been smashing. But that was always unlikely to happen, and as I said, even those tipped to do well this season will have signed players that will have their supporters scratching their heads a bit. 

1 minute ago, valiant_593 said:

We sign chancers every year who have for the majoriry have flopped. But it seems ok for us to that this season..:

top half id be happy with personally don’t see enough in the midfield yet. 

I wouldn’t call Amoo, Bennett and Cullen chancers.

i think the rest are squad players who are cheaper in order for us to balance the budget and afford those players... as well as Browns new contract!!

they are less of a “chance” given the manager has worked with them before... rather than people like hardcastle that no one knew from Adam!

wpuld I prefer we sign a proven young hungry player who tore league 2 up last year... yes. Can we afford them, no.

i really really don’t see how people are struggling to get this concept.

when asked to provide alternatives all I have heard is Charlie Adam, Mark Marshall and Nathan Tyson!!!!

Two we couldn’t afford if we wanted to and the other is terrible.

Certain people couldn’t wait for a poor friendly result... you could sense their desperation to have a go! It baffles me.

4 minutes ago, TylerB said:

If you're not at least a little optimistic that Cullen, Amoo, Browne and Bennett are an improvement on what we had up top and out wide last season you need to seek help. 

The world is full of glass half full and half empty people. Stoke in general and Vale Park in particular have a disproportionate number of the latter. If you can't be optimistic in July and August there's not much joy for most football supporters. Think we've got a lot more upfront this year but time will tell.

45 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

The point is that people have started basing this doom and gloom on one game... ONE.

all I’m trying to point out is that it might be sensible to not dramatise a FRIENDLY result as the end of the season already when last week people were full of praise of the team in the same circumstance against far better opposition.

as you say, if people can be good one week that can be crap the next... that works both ways but as downtrodden vale fans we seem to have this fascination of focusing on the negative.

Im advocating a bit of balance.. you correct me if you don’t think that’s sensible! 

I wholeheartedly agree! 

But people are entitled to their opinion. Be that positive or negative or something in between.

But as Carol her self has said; Vale fans has been treated like crap of the pitch and treated to crap on the pitch, for the past 3 years. It takes more than 2 months to turn most peoples minds around! 

Having followed this forum for a long time, we have to be careful and accept, that people can still ask questions and have opinions, that asks questions to and of the club. I know they have a hell of a lot of things to put right, but that doesn't mean people can ask questions that are not overly positive. 

Because the club can still be expected get the very basics right, like announcing which sizes of shirts are available, so people don't make a 3 hour journey in vain. That is so simple to do, yet didn't get done. And you know what: I would have been well pissed my self, if I had driven 3 hours, just to be told "sorry, that size is not in yet". But instead of people offering a bit of understanding, he got shot down like you wouldn't believe. Which just adds to this, I in lack of better words, call a bit of a 'cult'. You are either 100% behind or 100% against, the new owners. No other argument is being accepted!

And by the way; I AM behind them! Would I travel from Denmark to Colchester next week, if I wasn't? I just think, people are allowed nuances.

And I'm just starting to wonder, because at some point the 'it's all because of Norman' excuse becomes void. And what happens then? We are not at that point yet, by any means, but we will be there next summer.

1 hour ago, JRC said:

I'm not sure we'll be bringing many in on loan unless we have a couple of injuries in a particular position.

Agree. I've got the impression from Askey's comments recently that the squad would be completed by either signing any of the triallists that he wanted, or if not, he would then look at loans to top it up.

As he's since signed Evans & Browne, and both Maddison & Hurst were on the bench yesterday (insinuating that they will also be signed) then I reckon the squad is now complete, and we will only bring in loans in the event of a) lengthy injuries or b) a piss-poor set of results before the transfer window shuts on 2nd September.

What people should remember, some people anyway, is that we are a League Two side, and we haven't been a great one at at that for a while now. We'll have games where we look half decent and then the following week we might look more like the Renford Rejects. It's as much if not more about application, attitude and organisation than quality. We had a good attitude against Premier League side Burnley and for 60 minutes or so we matched them. Against Bury the players that started were no doubt more concerned about not getting injured on the dawn of the new season and they got turned over. Almost every League Two side will have a couple or a few good players and the rest will be an average at best bunch who at times look like they are almost stealing a living as professional footballers. That's League Two football. 

27 minutes ago, TylerB said:

Our best business of the summer could be keeping Brown and Oyeleke at the club.

Couldn't agree more - and add Worrall too. The extension for those three was superb news, closely followed by the additions of Amoo & Cullen.

The other potentially crucial 'signing' was that of a full-time physio - if he can keep those vital players fit that are aging and/or injury-prone (Pope, Oyeleke, Cullen, Legge, *) then Chris Banks will have a far bigger impact than he ever did as a player!

(*......I would have included Montano but that would require working miracles!)

The slightly odd thing for me is that we seem to have amassed a much better array of attacking talent but in comparison neglected the rest of the team. We've now got Amoo, Cullen, Bennett, Pope, Montano, Worall, Browne - anyone else? - competing for 3(4) places maximum but when you analyse the midfield and back four it doesn't look anywhere near as strong in depth.

We'll find out soon enough. Colchester is a huge challenge as they'll bombard us.They were probably the biggest and physically strongest team we played last year so strap yourselves in for a ride.

Hopefully Askey knows a bit more about football than me - or we'd probably be in the Ansells Sunday League by now!

4 minutes ago, TheSage said:

The slightly odd thing for me is that we seem to have amassed a much better array of attacking talent but in comparison neglected the rest of the team. We've now got Amoo, Cullen, Bennett, Pope, Montano, Worall, Browne - anyone else? - competing for 3(4) places maximum but when you analyse the midfield and back four it doesn't look anywhere near as strong in depth.

We'll find out soon enough. Colchester is a huge challenge as they'll bombard us.They were probably the biggest and physically strongest team we played last year so strap yourselves in for a ride.

Hopefully Askey knows a bit more about football than me - or we'd probably be in the Ansells Sunday League by now!

I think colchester will be a very tough game and I think they could be up there at the end of the season... I won’t be devastated if we don’t come away with anything. 

A draw would be a cracking result.

11 minutes ago, TheSage said:

So last year we had no strikers and now we've got too many!!  Who'd be a manager!

57 minutes ago, Danish Valiant said:

I wholeheartedly agree! 

But people are entitled to their opinion. Be that positive or negative or something in between.

But as Carol her self has said; Vale fans has been treated like crap of the pitch and treated to crap on the pitch, for the past 3 years. It takes more than 2 months to turn most peoples minds around! 

Having followed this forum for a long time, we have to be careful and accept, that people can still ask questions and have opinions, that asks questions to and of the club. I know they have a hell of a lot of things to put right, but that doesn't mean people can ask questions that are not overly positive. 

Because the club can still be expected get the very basics right, like announcing which sizes of shirts are available, so people don't make a 3 hour journey in vain. That is so simple to do, yet didn't get done. And you know what: I would have been well pissed my self, if I had driven 3 hours, just to be told "sorry, that size is not in yet". But instead of people offering a bit of understanding, he got shot down like you wouldn't believe. Which just adds to this, I in lack of better words, call a bit of a 'cult'. You are either 100% behind or 100% against, the new owners. No other argument is being accepted!

And by the way; I AM behind them! Would I travel from Denmark to Colchester next week, if I wasn't? I just think, people are allowed nuances.

And I'm just starting to wonder, because at some point the 'it's all because of Norman' excuse becomes void. And what happens then? We are not at that point yet, by any means, but we will be there next summer.

I think there is a difference between “hoping they succeed” and “being behind them” 

If “the shirt sizings were not right” is the thing that makes you “start to wonder” about Carol and Kevin then I’m sorry but you don’t have a real understanding of just how much they have had to do to bring the club back from the edge after Smurthwaite truly shafted us.

Being behind them means having empathy, understanding there is so so so much to do and not jumping on the small things as they try and trying to rebuild our club... which currently you are not... that’s my opinion, which you argue I’m allowed to have!

You say people should be allowed to ask questions... but jumped on me when I asked someone their opinion on the Burnley game in order to get some balance you have requested. Consistency please.

As someone has said,take off whitfield and the 1st year pro's then we have a squad of say 21,add to that Maddison and Hurst takes us to 23.

I agree about midfield if Oyeleke isn't fit but I would guess we will bring in a loan centre midfielder and  LB(desperate for a natural one imo) that would give 25 which is what Askey wants.Lets not forget that a few of the new signings can play in a few positions which could help when players are injured.

As for the budget,it is easy for us all to go I would have signed him,not signed him,gone for better etc.. but none of us know what wage demands were or what they are like in the dressing room,also some of the budget would of gone on Brown,Worrall and Oyeleke extending deals(he wont be cheap trust me),as I have said before I aren't happy with some of the signings(but will back them all) BUT I realise its not as easy as most of us think,you have the decent ones Amoo,Bennett,Cullen and then you have to add lesser waged players..one thing we know Askey can do and that's work with a budget so I will trust him for now and certainly wont panic until seeing where we are after 10 games or so.

As we progress off the field ALL money will go back in so the budgets will become more 

Archived