onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match thread: Port Vale v Bury

robf

I think Bennett has looked better when he has played wide left of a front three rather than up front on his own.  That first half performance was the worst 45 minutes of pre-season but the second half was much better.  Gibbons has to start next week and Pope and Cullen were a good pairing. 

Although that was a scratch Bury side there were a lot of experienced players in there with something to prove to any watching scouts.

Advert

<ovf censored> hell. Some of your are embarrassing. Today wasn't good but had we won 3-0 most of you would have been tipping us for automatic promotion. It's 90 minutes of football. Bury had a lot of players on trial and we're simply more up for the game from the first minute. Many of our players, rightly or wrongly, looked like they were clearly holding something back with one eye on next weekend. Amoo and Cullen will be significantly better than any of the players we released this summer and will improve the starting 11. Worrall coming back to some form is also like a new player almost seeing as he spent most of last season scratching his arse. The rest of the signings will be a mixture of failures, 'do a job-ers' and perhaps one or two who will surpass expectations. That's why we're a League Two side.

5 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

I think Bennett has looked better when he has played wide left of a front three rather than up front on his own.  That first half performance was the worst 45 minutes of pre-season but the second half was much better.  Gibbons has to start next week and Pope and Cullen were a good pairing. 

Although that was a scratch Bury side there were a lot of experienced players in there with something to prove to any watching scouts.

With next to no service it wouldn't have made much of a difference had we played Diego Costa up front on his own. Nobody can judge Bennett on today's performance as for 45 minutes he barely even had scraps to work with. 

37 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

Your assessment of Quigley and Bennett is spot on. It looks like we’re deploying the same tactics that have seen us struggle in this league for the last two seasons.

Make Port Vale Great Again. MPVGA

Bennett has scored 17 goals at league two level in the last two seasons, Scott Quigley has never scored a league goal, I think there is no comparison.

10 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Agreed, I was particularly impressed by Bennett last Saturday, Gibbo has to start next week, also Pope and , or, Cullen.

15 minutes ago, TylerB said:

<ovf censored> hell. Some of your are embarrassing. Today wasn't good but had we won 3-0 most of you would have been tipping us for automatic promotion. It's 90 minutes of football. Bury had a lot of players on trial and we're simply more up for the game from the first minute. Many of our players, rightly or wrongly, looked like they were clearly holding something back with one eye on next weekend. Amoo and Cullen will be significantly better than any of the players we released this summer and will improve the starting 11. Worrall coming back to some form is also like a new player almost seeing as he spent most of last season scratching his arse. The rest of the signings will be a mixture of failures, 'do a job-ers' and perhaps one or two who will surpass expectations. That's why we're a League Two side.

Irrespective of the result today, I was hoping for a safe and comfortable end to the season and believe that 14th will be a success. From what we’ve achieved in the last two seasons 14th would be a great success.

7 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

Irrespective of the result today, I was hoping for a safe and comfortable end to the season and believe that 14th will be a success. From what we’ve achieved in the last two seasons 14th would be a great success.

I think this season we'll finish mid-table comfortably. I'd love to finish top half, but if we end up 13th or 14th that's alright in comparison to what we've endured the last couple of seasons. You can build on a mid-table finish as it shows you were only one or two players short. I think our best 11 are as good as the vast majority of sides in the league, but in an ideal world we would be going nowhere near the likes of Kennedy, Evans, Burgess and Lloyd. But that's not to say that none or even all of them can't contribute. 

25 minutes ago, TylerB said:

I think this season we'll finish mid-table comfortably. I'd love to finish top half, but if we end up 13th or 14th that's alright in comparison to what we've endured the last couple of seasons. You can build on a mid-table finish as it shows you were only one or two players short. I think our best 11 are as good as the vast majority of sides in the league, but in an ideal world we would be going nowhere near the likes of Kennedy, Evans, Burgess and Lloyd. But that's not to say that none or even all of them can't contribute. 

It was just the same old same old today. It’s not worked previously and I would like to see a change. Yes we’ve got to survive within our budget. The players were completely different in the second half, which is why I asked the question of why are we experimenting at this stage. I thought Campbell-Gordon looked exciting going forward and hope to see him develop at Vale. The person I sat next to said he fears going to Layer Road next week, I hope he’s wrong

42 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

It was just the same old same old today. It’s not worked previously and I would like to see a change. Yes we’ve got to survive within our budget. The players were completely different in the second half, which is why I asked the question of why are we experimenting at this stage. I thought Campbell-Gordon looked exciting going forward and hope to see him develop at Vale. The person I sat next to said he fears going to Layer Road next week, I hope he’s wrong

I would put money on us not losing at Layer road next week 

2 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

There’s nothing to say to me that we have as good a starting 11 as any other side. Our best 11 proved last season where they were. With only Cullen and amoo adding to that I personally don’t see us being close to the best sides in the league. 

So you don’t put any value on the management team, tactics employed, training, team spirit, team work ethic and squad professionalism?

I agree we are not one of the best sides in the league, not so I think we will be for a few years while we rebuild from the screwing Smurthwaite did to us.

but to simply compare 11 vs 11 seems to miss out a significant part of the world of football, does it not?

21 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

I remember us losing every pre season game one season under Rudge,we went on to get promoted,its a good job we didn't have a forum that pre season

Didn’t we also win every game one year, or at least perform very well including beating a Man Utd team only to then get relegated!

The team beat premier league Burnley 1-0 over the majority of the game last week only to lose after wholesale changes.

Memories are short, demands are unrealistic and knowledge of how hard the team has been flogged before games is none existent in pre season.

lets see how we are doing after TEN games... we have a difficult start, let’s not lose our heads if Colchester beat us and back the boys!!

Archived