onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match thread: Port Vale v Bury

robf

Advert

I hate to judge a player in a half.... but Evans hasn’t covered himself in glory there. Not got forward much, sluggish in tracking back, caught out positionally for the first goal when Legge missed a header and then gave the ball away for the second. Crookes has looked a bit shaky on the other side too. Equally Bennett up front looks too light weight to lead the line. Weve got really pressed Bury at all, we need to up the tempo next week.

45 minutes ago, Santa said:

Off topic but Shawcross has suffered a very very nasty ankle injury in the Stoke friendly. Leicester's YouTube channel is streaming the game and they've shown a slow motion replay of the incident. I've seen a screen grab (I won't post it, if you're interested you can find it easily enough) and his foot is hanging off.

Arsenal fans on twitter in 3, 2, 1.....

spacer.png

First half horrendous. Second half better.

I know it's only a friendly, but Evans looks way below league standard, defensively and offensively awful, caught out of position numerous times and was at fault for both goals. Gibbo emphasised this in the second half and the gulf in class between the pair was stark.

Bennett and crooks also had poor halves, crooks look better in the second.

Second half was much better, going forward we appear to have much more of an idea. Amoo, Worrall, Cullen and Pope all had good games.

I wasn't there but it didn't seem great from what I've picked up and heard. Still, it's only a friendly.

We know that we've strengthened the attack but there isn't much change in midfield/defence from last season and that's where our issues will lie.

Keep the faith. We'll get there.

The negatives of the awful first half performance stood out so much that you can take positives from them. They showed that Evans is nowhere near the standard of Gibbons. They showed that a midfield of Joyce, Oyeleke and Conlan sit too deep and play too square, or even backwards. They showed that, sadly, Bennett is no Pope. John Askey had said that the three training sessions each day in Scotland had enabled him and his staff to work on tactics and formations. If that is true, the results were worrying.

The second half changes made at half time at least gave us a team more prepared to go forward and cause a few problems for the Bury defence. But overall, I expected much better both tactically and performance wise from a team only seven days from the first league match.

39 minutes ago, toyahw said:

Where has Lloyd been recently? Is he locked in Ernie's cellar. 

He had a nasty ankle twist in one of the friendlies I think.

i couldn’t make it today, but it didn’t sound pretty. Hopefully it’s a case of the players being

a) knackered after a flogging of a week in Scotland

b) cautious and none committal in order to not get injured  before the big start

c) not as hungry as Bury who will all be trying to earn a deal

Considering that Bury had thrown a team together including the much maligned Kay they carved us open far to easily in the first half,their running off the ball and ball retention was far superior to ours and once again it seemed that we rely to heavily on the big ball up front.

Its a good job it was a slightly better showing in the 2nd half because they brought on so many subs with no name they lost their shape and movement.

I am hoping and praying that the heavy work load last week has taken the edge of us,their seems to be no shape and I didn't see any improvement in the deadball delivery that was apparently worked on in Scotland.

Archived