onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Kevin & Carol Buy the 'Vale; Update on July's Supporters Club Meeting

mr.hobblesworth

Advert

I met my nephew for a drink today and he works for a company that did some work for Smurthwaite's Port Vale. They never got paid - Smurthwaite apparently denied even having heard of the company - so were pursuing the matter through the small claims court. At this stage, Norman sold the club so the company thought they'd have to write off the several thousand pounds owed to them. Then, out of the blue, Kevin Shanahan contacted them, stating that they wanted to put things right and even though it wasn't  their debt, they wanted to settle it as it was the right thing to do. My nephew went on to say that Kevin was one of the nicest, most decent people he'd ever dealt with. My nephew's a big Stoke fan too. Felt prouder of the club than I have in <ovf censored> years 

Great story.  I was told earlier this week that our previous owner had an interesting way of dealing with his creditors.  He would write out a cheque to cover the debt, look them in the eye and say "This is your money", then he would tear the cheque up and drop the pieces on the floor.  I imagine he is the sort of bloke who spent his childhood pulling the wings off flies.  Anyone who is still foolish enough to think he was anything but an unpleasant stain on the history of the club must be completely mad.

3 hours ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

I met my nephew for a drink today and he works for a company that did some work for Smurthwaite's Port Vale. They never got paid - Smurthwaite apparently denied even having heard of the company - so were pursuing the matter through the small claims court. At this stage, Norman sold the club so the company thought they'd have to write off the several thousand pounds owed to them. Then, out of the blue, Kevin Shanahan contacted them, stating that they wanted to put things right and even though it wasn't  their debt, they wanted to settle it as it was the right thing to do. My nephew went on to say that Kevin was one of the nicest, most decent people he'd ever dealt with. My nephew's a big Stoke fan too. Felt prouder of the club than I have in <ovf censored> years 

Sums things up very nicely.

Thanks for sharing.

It's so heartening to know that decent people are in control of the club at long last.

• 3 weeks later...

Only just clicked on the link but things seem to be going well. Really impressed with the reports on the players' attitudes up in Scotland and Tommy Cheadles has been renovated and will be used by the foundation as a community centre during the week (and back as a pub for match days). New gym will be ready on Friday and old gym will be used as a media suite.

The supporters club this evening shows once again how lucky we are to have Carol and Kevin!!

I know we shouldn’t dwell on the past so I will say this once... but hearing tonight how the old players were treated by the disgusting human that is Norman Smurthwaite made me furious!!!!!!

Anyone who defended him on here should be ashamed... or at the very least I hope they go to sleep at night knowing they were wrong and had he stayed around we would have been destroyed as a club! No wonder nothing was said after everything came out!

Rant over... promise I will move on now!!

• Aussie Rules changed the title to Kevin & Carol Buy the 'Vale; Update on July's Supporters Club Meeting
6 hours ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

I missed that bit. What was said? 

There was a comment from the floor that the way Smurthwaite had treated a group of old players was disgusting, confirming a story that was told to my old man by one of the players himself.

There is a group of 5 or so old legends that used to regularly attend and would be looked after by the club, given seats together, cup of tea, pat of the back type of thing... Norman realised it was costing him money, and told them in no uncertain terms that they were nothing special and they should pay and sit like everyone else.

Many of them decided they wouldnt come back to the club until the vile owner had gone. Fortunately it was confirmed that Adam Yates (who now works with Carol) had been tasked with reconnecting with them and giving them the welcome back they deserve. 

1 hour ago, Iron Curtain said:

There was a comment from the floor that the way Smurthwaite had treated a group of old players was disgusting, confirming a story that was told to my old man by one of the players himself.

There is a group of 5 or so old legends that used to regularly attend and would be looked after by the club, given seats together, cup of tea, pat of the back type of thing... Norman realised it was costing him money, and told them in no uncertain terms that they were nothing special and they should pay and sit like everyone else.

Many of them decided they wouldnt come back to the club until the vile owner had gone. Fortunately it was confirmed that Adam Yates (who now works with Carol) had been tasked with reconnecting with them and giving them the welcome back they deserve. 

I can confirm that some of the old players were "Booted" out of the match day experience.

I bumped into an ex player that many of a certain age will remember, I won't mention his name out of respect for his privacy he was having a coffee with his wife and I noticed someone approach him and they had a chat re. football,as I was leaving I went up to him and asked how he was and he said he couldn't get over the fact that in his 80's he was still recognised as a Vale player and supporter, how much it meant to him and that I was the second Guy that day that approached him.

I asked him if he still got up to Vale Park and he said he used to go with the old boys but they got    "Booted" out by that ***** of an owner,and in any case he wouldn't have gone if he was still there even if the ***** begged.

I can confirm that some of the old players were "Booted" out of the match day experience.
I bumped into an ex player that many of a certain age will remember, I won't mention his name out of respect for his privacy he was having a coffee with his wife and I noticed someone approach him and they had a chat re. football,as I was leaving I went up to him and asked how he was and he said he couldn't get over the fact that in his 80's he was still recognised as a Vale player and supporter, how much it meant to him and that I was the second Guy that day that approached him.
I asked him if he still got up to Vale Park and he said he used to go with the old boys but they got    "Booted" out by that ***** of an owner,and in any case he wouldn't have gone if he was still there even if the ***** begged.

Reading and hearing things about that vile, despicable ex owner of ours makes my blood boil. I knew he was deplorable having myself met him at Notts County away and I held the door open for him, only to experience him pushing rudely past me and making me feel an inch tall. However the praise and feel good vibes constantly now oozing out of Vale Park concerning our new human beings of owners help me understand that there are genuine people still and we do have to get behind this fantastic couple to show our appreciation of extermination of the vermin from our lives. Welcome Kevin and Carol. Your efforts and dedication will galvanise the missing fan base and Vale can only prosper with you on board. I am truly a thankful and appreciative season ticket holder who will always remember your smiles Home and Away. Your love of our great Club is infectious and will prove vital in our quest to see Vale rise steadily and correctly up the Football ladder.

The Likes of Kevin, Carol and Andy Holt at Accrington are a breath of fresh air for the game. Genuine supporters of their respected clubs, simply wanting what’s sensibly best and achievable. No overspending, no risks, no pipe dreams, just open, honest and engaging. We don’t know how lucky we are.

On 07/07/2019 at 16:08, mr.hobblesworth said:

Very noble of KS, but wouldn't it have made more sense if he had said he'd settle the debt if the court case failed?

I don't like the thought of Smurthwaite getting away with it and other people paying his debts.

Archived