onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Boris Johnson is the new Prime Minister

mr.hobblesworth

Advert

Project Fear? 😉

I think the tide has been turning now for quite some time. No one voted for a crash and burn No Deal Brexit. Voters were sold a pup. This mythical land of milk and honey does not exist, unless you're a multi-millionaire or hedge funds manager. More and more voters are realising that and turning their backs on Farage's intolerance. Quite right too. No one voted to be poorer.

And only yesterday we see Hunt asking the EU to help us with shipping in the Gulf! Amazing.

6 minutes ago, TheSage said:

Project Fear? 😉

I think the tide has been turning now for quite some time. No one voted for a crash and burn No Deal Brexit. Voters were sold a pup. This mythical land of milk and honey does not exist, unless you're a multi-millionaire or hedge funds manager. More and more voters are realising that and turning their backs on Farage's intolerance. Quite right too. No one voted to be poorer.

And only yesterday we see Hunt asking the EU to help us with shipping in the Gulf! Amazing.

I dread to think of the state of the armed forces with Corbyn and Abbott running the show.

Why this idea that Johnson is the one who can defeat Corbyn?  Have they not seen the polls?  You could put a donkey with a fake unicorn head against him and it would win.

And why does everyone think Johnson is this arch brexiteer?  He's nothing of the sort - the week before the referendum he wrote two articles for his weekly column in the Torgraph, one supporting leave and one supporting remain because he hadn't made his mind up.  The Saturday before the announcement of the referendum in February 2016 he texted Cameron to say he was supporting Leave.  Then he sent another text saying he'd changed his mind.  Then changed it back again.

Johnson is the sort of politician who says, if you don't like my principles, don't worry, I have others.

2 hours ago, TheSage said:

Project Fear? 😉

The "no one voted to be poorer" thing is one of the least intelligent thing that a remainer can say.

It doesn't stop millions voting for labour every GE.

Also, this "land of milk and honey" thing clearly does exist. Other countries don't have the issues we have though in fairness we don't have the issues that they have either. That doesn't mean that we can't strive for better and simple probability states that there are better options than the EU. If you deny that then you are seriously claiming that the EU is the closest political set up to perfection?

You want your head looking at if you genuinely believe that.

There are an infinite number of variables. Brexit will add a few more into the mix and no deal will add a few more still. A lot of the significant variables would be within the UK's control. A no deal situation is not a final situation, it's a blank canvas.

2 hours ago, Mario said:

I dread to think of the state of the armed forces with Corbyn and Abbott running the show.

I think what would happen is that the offensive capability of the armed forces would be restricted and repurposed to ensuring defence of our coastline and airspace. There would be very little scope for Britain to take a role in the grand police operations such as Syria/Iraq and more recently Iran. If that's what you want, fine but it's a world away from what we're doing - or trying to do - at the moment. 

Since 1940, though, it's been clear that Britain can't act alone in its own defence and all our military capabilities are based on alliances. It remains to be seen how a Corbyn government would deal with this. And I haven't even mentioned Trident yet.

11 minutes ago, Heatwave said:

I think what would happen is that the offensive capability of the armed forces would be restricted and repurposed to ensuring defence of our coastline and airspace. There would be very little scope for Britain to take a role in the grand police operations such as Syria/Iraq and more recently Iran. If that's what you want, fine but it's a world away from what we're doing - or trying to do - at the moment. 

Since 1940, though, it's been clear that Britain can't act alone in its own defence and all our military capabilities are based on alliances. It remains to be seen how a Corbyn government would deal with this. And I haven't even mentioned Trident yet.

We have various alliances and mutual obligations, pulling out of those would need parliamentary approval. Who knows what the Clown will write in his instructions to the trident commanders on Wednesday.

1 hour ago, Regal Beagle said:

The "no one voted to be poorer" thing is one of the least intelligent thing that a remainer can say.

It doesn't stop millions voting for labour every GE.

Also, this "land of milk and honey" thing clearly does exist. Other countries don't have the issues we have though in fairness we don't have the issues that they have either. That doesn't mean that we can't strive for better and simple probability states that there are better options than the EU. If you deny that then you are seriously claiming that the EU is the closest political set up to perfection?

You want your head looking at if you genuinely believe that.

There are an infinite number of variables. Brexit will add a few more into the mix and no deal will add a few more still. A lot of the significant variables would be within the UK's control. A no deal situation is not a final situation, it's a blank canvas.

I have to say that your posts get more ludicrous and far fetched with each passing day.

As far as I'm aware no-one did vote to trash the economy and risk putting us into another recession. Maybe you did. All I remember being told was how easy and quick leaving would be and we'd have all these trade deals by March and all that money on the side of the bus for the NHS. And then, of course, it began to unravel. Because no one had a plan. No-one had considered the future of the Irish border or the UK as a whole, no-one had a clue about the realities of trading solely on WTO terms, and no one ever told the voters that it would already have cost them £2000 each and rising with every day.  None of the problems and costs were ever outlined to Joe public. Everything would be hunky dory and we'd all be quids in. Well, what a load of rubbish that was. 

Why on earth do you think we spent the best part of 15 years trying to get in? Do you not realise the enormous economic benefit the EU has given us? Why do you think Norway and Switzerland are keen to pay for access to the EU? Why has Canada spent years negotiating a deal with the EU? It's the biggest and most successful free trade area in the world and countries would give their right arms to be members of it. Our economy has benefited enormously since 1973. Every ex PM living believes it's been a good thing. Are they all daft?

Why on earth would any sane person side with the likes of Farage, Rees-Mogg, Grayling, Trump, Baker, Rabb, Francois and the rest of the loonies who make it up as they go along, compared to what experienced senior politicians  like Major and Blair, Clark and Cable, Heseltine, Brown and Cameron, the Bank of England and every sensible economic forecaster you can come up with is telling us? Leaving without a deal is stupid and leaving per se will damage the economy.

The far right extremists have taken over the Tory Party today but luckily not yet Parliament. At the next election all these 18-22 year olds who couldn't vote before will be in the mix and mostly supporting the EU. Johnson could well lose his seat. Wake up and smell the coffee.

Archived