onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Boris Johnson is the new Prime Minister

mr.hobblesworth

Advert

12 hours ago, TheSage said:

I didn't think you wanted a Deal, RB. 😉 

We know from last time out that there was no majority to leave in any of the under 45 age groups. Above that there was a majority and it got stronger the older the age group. So it's reasonable to assume that most younger people who are now 18 will vote to remain. Why is that unrealistic? I wasn't saying they will all vote remain but younger people are more open and tolerant and have been educated in a multi-cultural environment, travelled to Europe a lot I imagine on their holidays, and believe in the EU as the other 27 countries do.

I'm also interested in why ex-pats in Europe were not allowed to vote and indeed 16-18 year olds. It's their future not mine.

And yet we can have a nutter like Johnson as our PM, elected by fewer voters than the Bake Off winner, including 15 year olds, pushing us off a cliff with a No Deal Brexit that most people do not want.

Fine but you are ignoring all the people who are now older (and hopefully wiser) and as you say they a more likely to vote to leave. For all you know there are more people who have turned 45 in the last 3 years than those that have turned 18. 

We also know that turnout in the younger generation is poorer.

So I still dont know how you are concluding that there is likely more remain votes.

The boris being unelected thing is a bit disingenuous too. If we were that concerned we would have done something after Brown. As it stands, boris was elected by his constituents and elected party leader by the members, same as almost every other PM its just a different order.

And most people do not want remain. That's the only fact we have to go off. 

2 hours ago, Aussie Rules said:

Call it what you like RB, but fascism is alive and well in different shades and form - from the school yard bully to the most evil of despots.  

Fine but then can we really apply "the most evil of despots" to Trump and Bojo? 

It's the latest buzz word after the left have completely trashed racist and then nazi. They've twisted it and shouted it at anyone they disagree with and actually all they've done is turned people away from them and turned those powerful and important words into jokes to be honest.

As with most political statements on this site the poster didn't explain how he had concluded that they were fascists. 

I would suggest that many of their policies are the direct opposite of fascist.

3 hours ago, geosname said:

I think fascism existed before it was given a name Barry. 

I can't see Trump and Boris carrying off a Hitler and Mussolini pose somehow..... Hitler looked evil and his mate looked like a pompous loon..... a Mussolini double act perhaps 😊

Who do you think Jezza and McDonnell would pose as,Chairman Mao and Castro?

I hope populism doesn't reach Australia and cause the unbelievable madness that we've got here in the UK at the moment.

There is no majority for No deal and there never was. But instead of showing some leadership skills and common sense mop-head Johnson ploughs on regardless, throwing billions at a scheme that will harm the country. It defies belief that anyone with an ounce of common sense would think that going down this path is wise and in the UK's interests.

26 minutes ago, TheSage said:

I hope populism doesn't reach Australia and cause the unbelievable madness that we've got here in the UK at the moment.

There is no majority for No deal and there never was. But instead of showing some leadership skills and common sense mop-head Johnson ploughs on regardless, throwing billions at a scheme that will harm the country. It defies belief that anyone with an ounce of common sense would think that going down this path is wise and in the UK's interests.

What's the alternative if the EU won't negotiate,please tell?

This should have be planned three years ago from day one,you know when the Maybot said those immortal words "No Deal Is Better Than A Bad Deal".

57 minutes ago, TheSage said:

For all his buffoonery and bluster I think Boris is stuck..... he can't push Mays deal it's been hammered to death.... he can't push another referendum...... (various reasons)...... he can't afford to look weak if a GE is a possibility or if he wants to talk to the EU..... I'm not convinced he wants a no deal outcome..... what's left?

That being said I have no sympathy...... he decided to chew on this particular rats tail.... whatever taste it leaves in his mouth is the consequence.

An organisation does not have negotiate anything if a member wants to leave, they can send a bill for anything owing less what is in credit or a result of investment in the organisation. If that member wishes to have access to facilities, and defines the facilities required from the organisation, an other would be made without prejudice to the facilities  enjoyed by the members. In other words members will always be better off than non-members. 

Historically the Tory government led by May, made no plans, ignored the rest of parliament, the 48% that did not see the point, and various other advisors, did not form a National Govt as in Wartime, but nowadays have war cabinets to grapple with  self inflicted chaos . 

My solution is a National Govt, bring order to chaos, define the reason for leaving the EU. Revoke Article 50 to give more time to  prepare properly if we still wish to leave..

4 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:
42 minutes ago, For Us All said:

What's the alternative if the EU won't negotiate,please tell?

This should have be planned three years ago from day one,you know when the Maybot said those immortal words "No Deal Is Better Than A Bad Deal".

An organisation does not have to negotiate anything if a member wants to leave, they can send a bill for anything owing less what is in credit or a result of investment in the organisation. If that member wishes to have access to facilities, and defines the facilities required from the organisation, an offer would be made without prejudice to the facilities  enjoyed by the members. In other words members will always be better off than non-members. 

Historically the Tory government led by May, made no plans, ignored the rest of parliament, the 48% that did not see the point, and various other advisors, did not form a National Govt as in Wartime, but nowadays have war cabinets to grapple with  self inflicted chaos . 

My solution is a National Govt, bring order to chaos, define the reason for leaving the EU. Revoke Article 50 to give more time to  prepare properly if we still wish to leave..

Dunna talk so much common sense on here Fosse. 

Clearly there is no mandate for a crash and burn Brexit by mop-head and his far right chums, and hopefully Parliament will block it and/or there will be another vote so that we can kick him out. Hopefully he will also lose his Uxbridge seat.

If we go down the worst case scenario path and endure another economic recession and things like shortages of cancer drugs (flagged up today) then I feel sure that it's only a matter of time before we see sense and reapply to join the EU once again. Young people do not want to be sold down the river and there are plenty of MPs of the centre left and centre right who will see that wisdom prevails.

The lunatics are running the asylum at present but their freedom will be short lived. 

On 01/08/2019 at 01:21, geosname said:

It screams cycle of life...... the young who have all the energy but no experience eventually become the old who have all the experience but no energy..... the only real difference is the experience.

As for categories...... I didn't claim all the young will vote remain or all the old voted leave.

It screams you being bitter as usual and putting all young people in one category 

9 hours ago, TheSage said:

I hope populism doesn't reach Australia and cause the unbelievable madness that we've got here in the UK at the moment...

Just picking up on that Nick, and in my opinion, there were strong elements of contemporary populism leading to a Liberal Coalition victory at our recent Federal Election.

Was it a blip? Who knows. But there is no doubt in my mind the 'charisma?' of Scott Morison delivered an unwinnable mandate and Prime Ministership.

I suppose it depends on one's view of contemporary populism. If we agree that an authoritarian form of politics lead by a charismatic leader who appeals to and claims to embody the will of the people in order to consolidate his/her own power at the expense of Party politics then yes - populism in Australia currently haunts us. 

1 hour ago, ginge said:

It screams you being bitter as usual and putting all young people in one category 

They are in one catagory..... they are in the age catagory of young..... apart from that the young of today are just the same as the young of yesteryear.... their choice of weapons may have changed and their causes have shifted.

The young of any generation think they have invented something new by doing what their parents did at a similar age.

I've seen several posts stating leavers are all southerners or old or racist..... is that your twisted categorisation? 

Archived