onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Boris Johnson is the new Prime Minister

mr.hobblesworth

18 minutes ago, TheSage said:

Isn't the US behind the EU and Germany? Very important still but not our biggest trade partner? I think trade with the EU is about x5 what we've got with the US currently.

I quoted from memory trade to individual countries, it can also be confusing with the amount of cars that are built with components crossing the channel a few times. Also all our major car firms being owned by foreign companies who make up a lot of the trade to the US, where  Trump is trying to stop car imports. Of course the EU is our biggest partner, why pick a dispute with your biggest partner? Does not make sense. No wonder the world is amazed.

Advert

11 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

I quoted from memory trade to individual countries, it can also be confusing with the amount of cars that are built with components crossing the channel a few times. Also all our major car firms being owned by foreign companies who make up a lot of the trade to the US, where  Trump is trying to stop car imports. Of course the EU is our biggest partner, why pick a dispute with your biggest partner? Does not make sense. No wonder the world is amazed.

Why pick a fight when you can pick over a trade deal?

26 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

When we can get better value and other benefits elsewhere.

These trade figures surely prove that there are alternatives to the EU. It also shows that trade wont suddenly stop with the EU when we leave even if we don't have a deal. It just means that it is marginally more expensive for us and them to buy from each other.

If a significant portion of our trade already comes from countries where we do not have a trade deal in place, what is there to be scared of?

Cliff edge = project fear. Pure and simple. There's no facts to back it up, no logic to back it up, no common sense to back it up.

1 hour ago, Regal Beagle said:

When we can get better value and other benefits elsewhere.

These trade figures surely prove that there are alternatives to the EU. It also shows that trade wont suddenly stop with the EU when we leave even if we don't have a deal. It just means that it is marginally more expensive for us and them to buy from each other.

If a significant portion of our trade already comes from countries where we do not have a trade deal in place, what is there to be scared of?

Cliff edge = project fear. Pure and simple. There's no facts to back it up, no logic to back it up, no common sense to back it up.

Insert insignificant for significant for it to make sense, also if we do not have a deal WTO kicks in, customs arrangements change but not overnight, the EU were ready in March. Of course it makes sense to pay more for everything, especially for people living on the margins.

3 hours ago, TheSage said:

Ah, that old chestnut of "Project Fear" once again. Always good to play that card when the facts are stacked against you.

What facts? Bullet point them for me, I've been asking you to do it for years but for some strange reason you've not managed it yet. 

Project fear is as good a name as any for the growing collection of remainer lies.

3 hours ago, Fosse69 said:

Insert insignificant for significant for it to make sense, also if we do not have a deal WTO kicks in, customs arrangements change but not overnight, the EU were ready in March. Of course it makes sense to pay more for everything, especially for people living on the margins.

Nah thanks it makes perfect sense as it is. And we would be paying less for things rather than more.

5 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Have I missed this biggest trade deal with the US?  When did it happen?

Exports as arranged via EU. I suppose Trumps super deal is to reduce our exports and increase the US exports

United Kingdom's exports 2017 by country

Top export destinations of commodities from United Kingdom in 2017:

USA with a share of 13.3% (59 billion US$)

Germany with a share of 10.5% (46 billion US$)

France with a share of 6.87% (30 billion US$)

Netherlands with a share of 6.23% (27 billion US$)

Ireland with a share of 5.67% (25 billion US$)

China with a share of 4.83% (21 billion US$)

Switzerland with a share of 4.58% (20 billion US$)

Belgium with a share of 4.01% (17.7 billion US$)

Spain with a share of 3.04% (13.4 billion US$)

Italy with a share of 2.98% (13.2 billion US$)

22 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Is it not the case that if we leave without a deal we will then have to ....err ..... make a deal??

Not a deal, but dozens even hundreds of deals, taking many years. With unbounded confidence competence is not necessary.

3 hours ago, Fosse69 said:

The opposite to what you said, I suppose that makes sense. I think I need a rest.

I think you need a rest too.

We would be paying less because we can shop around. The essential trade with the EU will cost slightly more but so will their essential trade with us. It's sad that they aren't prepared to negotiate a sensible deal but hey ho.

Archived