onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Boris Johnson is the new Prime Minister

mr.hobblesworth

Advert

5 minutes ago, Howjy04 said:

Trump has stated how difficult it is to do some trade deals with the EU.He expects to increase trade with the UK ,fourfold.BTW I’ve never been food poisoned whilst in the US.

Rubbing his hands with glee, easy deals with us,

28 minutes ago, Aussie Rules said:

So. what is it about that message on the side of that big red bus?

Am I to believe there is no truth in the lie? or

That the lie is, in fact, true? or

Do I really care given the political shambles since the Referendum? 

A fairly detailed summary of the court case has been posted a couple of times on this thread. Which means in  my layman`s view.... Since few people believe what politicians say a political slogan on the side of a bus should not be believed. Thus the content did not matter whether it was a lie or not regarding the charge. The effect of the slogan on the vote is a separate issue.

11 hours ago, geosname said:

When did we officially go metric?

Heath or Wilson kicked it off in the 60s from memory, triggered by international trends during the 50s, money was about 1970. I assume Mogg still uses his imperial inkwell.

The difference in food standards is to say the least, very wide.

The FDA has a booklet of allowable defects including “insect filth, rodent filth (both hair and excreta pellets), mold, insects, rot, maggots, mites, insect eggs, drosophila fly, sand and grit, parasites, mildew and foreign matter (which includes  sticks, stones & cigarette butts."

https://www.fda.gov/food/ingredients-additives-gras-packaging-guidance-documents-regulatory-information/food-defect-levels-handbook

(Decimalisation was 71 wasn't it?)

30 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

Heath or Wilson kicked it off in the 60s from memory, triggered by international trends during the 50s, money was about 1970. I assume Mogg still uses his imperial inkwell.

So we haven't officially gone metric..... it's just common usage 

I still use wet ink on occassions.0

1 hour ago, Fosse69 said:

Already our biggest export market, including foreign owned car makes. Just the terms will change to suit the US and car imports will reduce.

Have I missed this biggest trade deal with the US?  When did it happen?

Interesting stuff on metrication  - and brings back memories. I recall buying bars of chocolate for 1d and bottles of pop for 1d, though I think I got 1/2d back if I returned the bottle.

Apparently it was 65 when Wilson tried to get us to go metric. I think the FBI (CBI) wanted it and didn't Commonwealth countries have it by then? Australia?

But it was slow to catch on (I still don't understand half of it, though we now have our petrol in litres of course. But most weights and measures mystify me!) and so governments have never really gone 100% for making it compulsory. I think the law is that you can use both imperial and metric but not imperial on its own. And most countries now are metric and most children are taught metric. It used to be a stick used by the anti-EU brigade to claim it was all the fault of the EU, but it wasn't. It began in 65 and has been slowly evolving ever since because it makes sense I suppose to fit in with what most of the world is doing. 

I remember very clearly my grandmother not having the foggiest and simply opening her purse and telling shopkeepers to take what was owed as she was so confused and bewildered by it all!

2 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Have I missed this biggest trade deal with the US?  When did it happen?

Isn't the US behind the EU and Germany? Very important still but not our biggest trade partner? I think trade with the EU is about x5 what we've got with the US currently.

1 hour ago, Fosse69 said:

Are you a serious poster or just a time waster? We already trade with the world through the EU trade agreements, all we will do is change the agreements. As we are a smaller dealer it is expected the deals will be inferior. However if we throw our toys in the air nobody knows what will happen.

That's so simplistic. It cannot be true that all eu trade deals benefit the uk more than a uk only trade deal. Just complete and utter pie in the sky.

23 minutes ago, ginge said:

You just said the left? That's not true. Who specifically?

I could narrow it down a bit more but I think I'll stand by my post as i believe it is accurate. 

It happens about every 2 weeks on this website and theres probably 10 left wing posters who have tried and failed to use it. I'm being called far right in another conversation which is ongoing right now.

Archived