onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Boris Johnson is the new Prime Minister

mr.hobblesworth

Advert

4 hours ago, Barrierleaner said:

I don't think it is odd if one takes into account that people no longer believe the scare-mongering. 

I remember when the 'experts' were extolling the virtues of joining the Euro and were saying the plebs were backward and getting in the way of progress when hanging onto sterling.... Despite all the gloom-mongering actually it was NOT a disaster for the UK at all and in fact the Eurozone has serious challenges, not least in being shackled to austerity and having no flexibility in terms of quantative easement. So i think all the crying wolf has meant people no longer listen to the experts.

But we did listen to the experts over the Euro - the right ones.

3 hours ago, Barrierleaner said:

the power hunger is with the quango in Brussels. And hardly surprisingly the EU is not remotely 'balanced' ...the axis between North-Eastern France through the Benelux countries into Germany is where the power and money resides and everything else comes second. Someone from Benelux will love the Eu because it has given them more economic power than they would have had on their own, obviously. However the EU is anything but a superpower in any respect. Its share of the world economy continues to fall year on year. What it has most definitely created is huge geographic inequality within countries.That is the main issue in the country I live in....and it is mirrored in conversations I have with people living elsewhere in the EU. 

I think it is a bit rich saying that our PM is power-hungry and can do whatever he wants...when the likes of Tusk (who made a fortune tearing up thousands of social-housing tenancy agreements in Poland in order to feather the nests of himself and his buddies) get to wield power without let or hindrance and who pretty much decide amongst themselves who shall have the top jobs in the EU. 

I have to go....I have some neighbours coming round for a celebratory drink to toast another boot in the ribs of the bloated EU.

So will you be moving back to the UK now and escaping the EU??

We became expats for a wide variety of reasons...not all ideal but there it is.  We didn't vote in the referendum because we were living here and it was, in our view, for the people living in the UK to decide and therefore wrong for us to have a say. 

Despite the result, and that of this general election, causing us potential difficulties (which has been very stressful because no-one has known what to do with all the uncertainty) we still feel that the most important thing is for Democracy to prevail and the will of the people to be enacted, not fudged. My dad would have expected no less of me as he and mum sacrificed a great deal to protect it. A few difficulties is the least I can put up with. 

heaven knows how it will turn out. We will probably have to sell our home, We miss England. I miss a wreath on my parent's grave at christmas, we miss seeing our relatives. We miss the Vale. Choices are never straightforward they have to be pragmatic. Ir was a pragmatic decision as much as anything to move abroad....it wasn't a dream or a whim in our case. We are not retired and we have to work for a living. We paid into the UK for decades and we now pay in here. 

So we will probably come back to the UK. If we can. When we can. It will always be my home. 

Thank you for asking.

5 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

My view was that people wanted a no deal Brexit but were worried that the cost of living will rise if it happens. It seemed odd that people wanted something that they thought would be bad for them. 

In my opinion I don’t think people wanted a “no deal” Brexit, rather, a deal, which had been offered by the Pro Leavers, whereby we could cherry pick the best of everything, where pulling out of the EU would be as simple as pulling the plug out of the bath, which we al now know was never possible, so deeply are we entrenched, and, equally of course, the other EU member states would rather the status quo to protect the republic. However, if the choice was simply remain or no deal then I think most who voted leave would opt for the latter.

Also the fear of a second referendum, the so called “People’s Vote”, a term which should have be banned under the Trades Descriptions Act, as it implies “people” weren’t voting in the first referendum, simply hardened the attitudes of the leave voters, pushing many closer to a no deal stance.

Ironically the best deal would have probably been obtained 2 or 3 years ago, had the negotiations been held with the backing of a fully united country, along with the option of no deal as a bargaining lever.  A bit like buying a car, the salesman has to know you’ve the option to walk away if the deals not right.  This doesn’t mean that the deal is dead. The salesman can call you up a day or two later and offer to throw in the mats and a full tank of juice.

Anyway, it’ll be interesting to see, now Johnson has his majority, just how hard, or soft, a Brexit the country ends up with.

Archived