Advert

Advert

Boris Johnson is the new Prime Minister

mr.hobblesworth

Advert

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 14/08/2019 at 21:11, Jacko51 said:

It's amazing how confused people are.  They want out without a deal but 68% of them are worried about a rise in the cost of living if it happens.  Crazy.

Not really. In many ways its about having courage to see beyond the bumpy bit in the road. Otherwise we'd all still be living at home with mum and dad. (

The EU is dreadful for young people. Employment for youngsters has crashed in many EU countries and they have zero prospects. So what i have found  really 'crazy' is the trend of younger voters to vote remain. Thing is, a lot of people who talk a lot about the EU know virtually nothing about it, virtually nothing about life in another EU country beyond what MSM puts out and that is focused...surprise....on major metropolitan cities. They see the Eu when they are on holiday spending freely and enjoying the sunshine. They never really see reality. It boggles my mind why anyone would want to support such a totally undemocratic organisation which has failed so many countries and is economically unsound. A very backward and introspective institution that refuses to move with the times and simply soaks up money and imposes tax upon tax to fund it all. 

I get truly sick of folk who are pro-remain spouting the view that anyone who wants to leave is 'confused' or 'crazy'. 

5 minutes ago, Barrierleaner said:

Not really. In many ways its about having courage to see beyond the bumpy bit in the road. Otherwise we'd all still be living at home with mum and dad. (

The EU is dreadful for young people. Employment for youngsters has crashed in many EU countries and they have zero prospects. So what i have found  really 'crazy' is the trend of younger voters to vote remain. Thing is, a lot of people who talk a lot about the EU know virtually nothing about it, virtually nothing about life in another EU country beyond what MSM puts out and that is focused...surprise....on major metropolitan cities. They see the Eu when they are on holiday spending freely and enjoying the sunshine. They never really see reality. It boggles my mind why anyone would want to support such a totally undemocratic organisation which has failed so many countries and is economically unsound. A very backward and introspective institution that refuses to move with the times and simply soaks up money and imposes tax upon tax to fund it all. 

I get truly sick of folk who are pro-remain spouting the view that anyone who wants to leave is 'confused' or 'crazy'. 

Do you want me to wait 4 months before I reply to that?

1 minute ago, Barrierleaner said:

I'm a new member of OVF. 

You have replied haven't you. 

Has you view changed in the last 4 months?

My view was that people wanted a no deal Brexit but were worried that the cost of living will rise if it happens. It seemed odd that people wanted something that they thought would be bad for them. 

11 minutes ago, Barrierleaner said:

Totally happy for you to have your opinion, but as someone who works across the EU with daily access to EU based colleagues in 10 other countries, IMO you are talking bobbins. I have not found a single person from within my company or members of the public that I have spoken to while out and about that have a single bit of understanding of why we would wan to leave - not a single person. I know that ts a small poll and you can probably quote a bigger population, but thats my experience. This isn't a holiday experience, its experience of working in the EU every single day, being involved in the manufacture, export and import of goods and managing a team selling on 10 markets. The EU is NOT perfect, but it keeps things on a level playing field and protects EVERYONES interests. Outside of it I really fear that we will be forced to bow to the direction that any of the superpowers takes. We are all so tied up ion the "we won a war"  and "we are a superpower" without thinking that by being in the EU we are a part of a superpower. Outside of it ... we really and truly aren't.

However, I will go with the majority (not that I have any choice now :)) and we will have have to deal with whatever the fallout is - or if I am wrong - bask in the glory of Bo Jo and his form of Brexit. But it won't be as quick or easy as he makes out. Whatever happens though, just remember that its what you wanted ... I hope for us all that I am wrong and that you are right.

I don't think it is odd if one takes into account that people no longer believe the scare-mongering. 

I remember when the 'experts' were extolling the virtues of joining the Euro and were saying the plebs were backward and getting in the way of progress when hanging onto sterling.... Despite all the gloom-mongering actually it was NOT a disaster for the UK at all and in fact the Eurozone has serious challenges, not least in being shackled to austerity and having no flexibility in terms of quantative easement. So i think all the crying wolf has meant people no longer listen to the experts.

2 minutes ago, Row L said:

Totally happy for you to have your opinion, but as someone who works across the EU with daily access to EU based colleagues in 10 other countries, IMO you are talking bobbins. I have not found a single person from within my company or members of the public that I have spoken to while out and about that have a single bit of understanding of why we would wan to leave - not a single person. I know that ts a small poll and you can probably quote a bigger population, but thats my experience. This isn't a holiday experience, its experience of working in the EU every single day, being involved in the manufacture, export and import of goods and managing a team selling on 10 markets. The EU is NOT perfect, but it keeps things on a level playing field and protects EVERYONES interests. Outside of it I really fear that we will be forced to bow to the direction that any of the superpowers takes. We are all so tied up ion the "we won a war"  and "we are a superpower" without thinking that by being in the EU we are a part of a superpower. Outside of it ... we really and truly arn't.

Hmm. bobbins back at you. I live in the EU, not the UK. We run two businesses and pay tax there. We live amongst EU citizens who are sick to the back teeth with the EU but because they are tied to the Euro they know they have little chance of leaving the bloc. And if they did vote (yet again) to change the EU or reject a treaty it would (again) be ignored. Standards of living have plummeted in the last two decades, unemployment is sky high and people have no money. The EU is certainly NOT perfect. And it DOES NOT keep things on a level playing field. Anything but. We see rampant protectionism of goods and services here all the time, despite EU rules. (some countries are more equal than others in the EU of course.) It doesn't protect everyones interests. It protects the interests of a select band of people in metropolitan centres. The old industrial areas (like Stoke) and the people who live there have effectively been de-commissioned. And, where I live, this has lead to serious unrest. Not surprising as even professionals are struggling to live properly and taxes are scandalous by UK standards.  Not much of this gets reported in the UK of course....unless it happens in a capital city it isn't important to the 'elites'. 

12 minutes ago, Barrierleaner said:

I don't think it is odd if one takes into account that people no longer believe the scare-mongering. 

I remember when the 'experts' were extolling the virtues of joining the Euro and were saying the plebs were backward and getting in the way of progress when hanging onto sterling.... Despite all the gloom-mongering actually it was NOT a disaster for the UK at all and in fact the Eurozone has serious challenges, not least in being shackled to austerity and having no flexibility in terms of quantative easement. So i think all the crying wolf has meant people no longer listen to the experts.

I don't think that people believe much that comes out of a politicians mouth these days!

I agree that the Eurozone has its challenges (show me a political or economic system that is perfect), but checks and balances created as part of the EU have helped to create a more balanced Europe. People see the "Everyone coming over here" and "we are stopped from doing whatever we want to" headlines ... but do we really trust any of our power hungry PMs (on both sides)  to make a better job of it. My fear above all else is the lack of checks that we have now - Boris can pretty much do what he likes as Corbin could have done in the same position - and there is little we can do for 4 years. If what we have been told by remainers is true (and I don't believe half of what is said there either) we don't get that option in 4 years. 

20 minutes ago, Barrierleaner said:

Hmm. bobbins back at you. I live in the EU, not the UK. We run two businesses and pay tax there. We live amongst EU citizens who are sick to the back teeth with the EU but because they are tied to the Euro they know they have little chance of leaving the bloc. And if they did vote (yet again) to change the EU or reject a treaty it would (again) be ignored. Standards of living have plummeted in the last two decades, unemployment is sky high and people have no money. The EU is certainly NOT perfect. And it DOES NOT keep things on a level playing field. Anything but. We see rampant protectionism of goods and services here all the time, despite EU rules. (some countries are more equal than others in the EU of course.) It doesn't protect everyones interests. It protects the interests of a select band of people in metropolitan centres. The old industrial areas (like Stoke) and the people who live there have effectively been de-commissioned. And, where I live, this has lead to serious unrest. Not surprising as even professionals are struggling to live properly and taxes are scandalous by UK standards.  Not much of this gets reported in the UK of course....unless it happens in a capital city it isn't important to the 'elites'. 

Happy to disagree. Your opinion is as valid any anyone elses and I have no issues with your thinking. I just don't agree with you. But all good points to add to a sensible debate based on facts and not rhetoric 

the power hunger is with the quango in Brussels. And hardly surprisingly the EU is not remotely 'balanced' ...the axis between North-Eastern France through the Benelux countries into Germany is where the power and money resides and everything else comes second. Someone from Benelux will love the Eu because it has given them more economic power than they would have had on their own, obviously. However the EU is anything but a superpower in any respect. Its share of the world economy continues to fall year on year. What it has most definitely created is huge geographic inequality within countries.That is the main issue in the country I live in....and it is mirrored in conversations I have with people living elsewhere in the EU. 

I think it is a bit rich saying that our PM is power-hungry and can do whatever he wants...when the likes of Tusk (who made a fortune tearing up thousands of social-housing tenancy agreements in Poland in order to feather the nests of himself and his buddies) get to wield power without let or hindrance and who pretty much decide amongst themselves who shall have the top jobs in the EU. 

I have to go....I have some neighbours coming round for a celebratory drink to toast another boot in the ribs of the bloated EU.

Archived