onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Fleetwood

robf

Without Manny in central midfield we have no power in that area.  What we do have are a lot of energetic players, several of whom are a bit too similar for my liking in our small squad. Burgess, Trickett Smith, Conlon, Joyce and Lloyd, all full of running and quite technical, decent enough but all a bit too much alike in my opinion.
I like the look of Cullen but we still desperately need another decent striker if we are to really push on.

Joyce, full of running?

Advert

12 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Without Manny in central midfield we have no power in that area.  What we do have are a lot of energetic players, several of whom are a bit too similar for my liking in our small squad. Burgess, Trickett Smith, Conlon, Joyce and Lloyd, all full of running and quite technical, decent enough but all a bit too much alike in my opinion.

I like the look of Cullen but we still desperately need another decent striker if we are to really push on.

...and Durrell, who has been mentioned by many on multiple occasions, is another in the small, busy, not good enough in the air category, so it won't bother me if he signs elsewhere. What we have needed for several years is a 6ft 2" physical presence in midfield to win it in the air and to stop the opposition having it all their way, and various, recent managers have failed (or not wanted ) to sign a player of this ilk.

Thought it was a great work out for Vale, decent performance against what I thought were a decent outfit in Fleetwood, but Vale more than matched them....

Brown - 6 - Little to do, but what he did he did well and with authority

Gibbons - 8 - Industrious, looked to get forward at every opportunity, link up play with Worrall really good

Smith - 6 - Never looked in trouble at all, kept Madden at bay

Legge - 6 - See Smith, leader

Crookes - 6 - Shaky opening 20 mins, once he'd got settled was solid

Joyce - 7 - All of a sudden he looks fit, covered lots of ground, real terrier in the middle of the park

Conlon - 7 - Makes the game look easy at times, always on the front foot looking to play forward

Lloyd - 6 - Really good opening 20 mins until forced off with a twisted ankle, neat and tidy, unlucky not to score in the incident where he was forced off

Worrall - 8 - Duracell bunny, will have given Askey food for thought, equally good in a middle 3 as he was the front 3

Amoo - 8 - Wonderful goal, terrorised the right back at times, pace, power, great outlet, clever player, real threat

Cullen - 7 - Terrier, doesn't stop snapping at peoples heals, gave the centre halves a tough evening, industrious

Subs

Bennett - 6 - Big men can play! Eye for a pass evident, kept trying to get Pope and Cullen in

Pope - 6 - Good cameo from the pontiff, excellent in posession

Maddison - 6 - See Brown

Rawlinson - 6 - Steady if unspectacular, has done well in pre-season

Browne - 5 - Struggled to make a real impact in the game until forced off with what looked like a hamstring pull

Burgess - 6 - Took ten mins to get up with the pace, once settled was neat and tidy in possession

Trickett-Smith - On for the last ten minutes, little time to judge

9 hours ago, Seamus O'Wye said:

...and Durrell, who has been mentioned by many on multiple occasions, is another in the small, busy, not good enough in the air category, so it won't bother me if he signs elsewhere. What we have needed for several years is a 6ft 2" physical presence in midfield to win it in the air and to stop the opposition having it all their way, and various, recent managers have failed (or not wanted ) to sign a player of this ilk.

Sam Foley has another 12 months in him and would do a brilliant job in midfield.

Last night showed that we definitely need a decent midfielder whe Manny doesn’t play.

Sam Foley has another 12 months in him and would do a brilliant job in midfield.
Last night showed that we definitely need a decent midfielder whe Manny doesn’t play.

I thought Conlon carried the ball well and we looked a real threat, with the two more advanced midfield players looking to get close to the front three, allaying my concerns when Oyeleke doesn’t play. Worrall was excellent with Conlon as a pair in the second half

It’s a fair point we need another decent option when Manny doesn’t play. He’s picked up another muscle injury so can he be relied on for the full season? If Manny can stay fit then Joyce sitting with a bit more mobility either side of him in Manny and Conlon would be my preferred midfield 3. Foley and Lloyd could be steady fall back options, but not starters IMO. Worrall did well dropping a bit deeper and that gives us another option when we change our forwards during a game too.

We could have some good attacking options if Amoo and Worrall can stay fit too. Get both full backs linking with them as well, certainly Gibbons and Worrall partnership is looking good again. Conlon and Manny can carry a ball and go past our forwards if need be. Cullen is a tidy little player and Pope and Bennett can provide us some physicality up there too.

24 minutes ago, Erniemossrules said:

Sam Foley, as good as he was for us, isn’t what we need.  We’ve got “decent” midfielders but we probably need a player in the Grant/Griff mold to complement what we currently have if, as seems likely, Manny will miss games through injury.

Ideally I’d like to see someone with a bit of strength to win those second balls.

Overall we competed well last night and look dangerous when Amoo gets on the ball.

Ryan Lloyd looked “decent”, until injured 😉

I think Conlon has an aggressive side to his play as well as a creative one. He gave the ball away a couple of times at Leek but was straight in there to win it back. 

Key for me last night was the work rate, we were able to get our midfield 3 higher up the pitch and press because we were trying to win it back immediately after turning the ball over. Definite change in pattern of play without the ball, with the ball we looked well drilled, functional and had the added bonus of Amoo’s flair and trickery, Cullens movement and Worrall’s industry. Encouraging signs

6 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I think Conlon has an aggressive side to his play as well as a creative one. He gave the ball away a couple of times at Leek but was straight in there to win it back. 

He does, he’s certainly a combative player, but that’s different than having physical strength and power.  There’s only currently Manny with those attributes.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think we’re too bad in midfield overall, certainly if last nights performance was any indication.  Amoo looks like he’ll chip in with goals and assists if we can get him on the ball.

Archived