onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Budget?

Griffalo

8 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

What you’re saying is too simplistic.

On paper it looks a much harder league this season.  Also, there are many other factors to consider, eg. if any team were to lose a couple of key players to injury it could have a big effect in this division.  Equally at this level a previously average player, or players, can “come good” and make a big difference to one of the lesser fancied sides.

A good signing, or the sale of a star performer in Jan.  Who knows at this point what will happen.

Budget is no real indicator, although it’s fair to say that the better funded teams do tend to finish higher.

You’re right about tactics though. At least  Askey, should have a better chance of playing the way he prefers now that he has more of his own players to choose from.

Apart from anything else I’d welcome a bit of good luck this coming season.

Yeah I agree that budget isnt an indicator. My main point is that we under performed last season, I honestly think that squad was (a little bit) better than a relegation battle.

I'd take a top half finish now and I think that is achievable and realistic given our signings and the standard of this league.

Advert

It's totally conceivable that the club can set a lower budget this season whilst still strengthening the side quite considerably.

For the last few years the football club has seen a huge amount of waste and poor recruitment. . The Shanahans are stumping up not just this season's budget but also paying for the last few years thanks to the previous owner very kindly lending the club all that money he wasted.

Rebuilding the side was never going to be a one-window job. Rebuilding the club off the pitch will be, I'm sure, a similar exercise. Sensible management, sustainable growth, all the level-headed things that normal football clubs do, by their very nature require time and patience. We've all want a settled side for a long time but that can't be done overnight.

I'm very wary of people being fobbed off with promises of Jam Tomorrow but while the club is being comprehensively restructured and de-normanned we have no choice but to give the new owners a fair amount of leeway.

23 hours ago, geosname said:

The budget is the budget, whatever it is, it's foolish to spend more than you can afford, it leads to places we don't want to return to.

It's not about how much you spend it's what you buy.

Spot on .

Why spend loads and what if what you spend your money on is injury prone and stealing a wage.

Lets get players in who's desire application and wanting to get a fantastic football clubs support not wanting miss a game such are there performance levels are that high that budget is not something folk can throw at the new owners .

Lets hope the players do there talking for them .

UTV 

i havent posted for a while because i refused to buy a season ticket while mr clueless was in charge of the club. budgets are a bit of a red herring. yes spending a bit of money to help get better players in on the whole helps. BUT NOT ALWAYS. the trick is to spend what moneyt you have wisely and not spend as much as possible. that way you can build a good foundation and head back in the right direction. i now feel we are heading in the right direction but it wont happen overnight folks. the new owners need our full support as does the team starting with the first league game, UTV

Sproeys piece in the sentinel tonight smacks of a plant. There's no content whatsoever just a few sly mentions of the budget going down. I'm sure he's been wheeled out as a negotiating tactic to get better prices on these last few players. Even if the budget has been reduced these mentions and the comments from Kevin at the weekend point one way. 

On 15/07/2019 at 09:04, Griffalo said:

The budget will change as the season goes on and if money comes in there's a good chance more will be made available to Askey - The point raised was really more about the post match comment made by Askey and how it was quickly dealt with in a professional manner by Carol (The previous owner may have done some touchline finger wagging) 

What did Carol say? Or how did she deal with it? Haven’t seen it, so curios 🙂

On 17/07/2019 at 17:48, Emile said:

Sproeys piece in the sentinel tonight smacks of a plant. There's no content whatsoever just a few sly mentions of the budget going down. I'm sure he's been wheeled out as a negotiating tactic to get better prices on these last few players. Even if the budget has been reduced these mentions and the comments from Kevin at the weekend point one way. 

Sproson is an agent and hes got other motives as well, he’s representing players that are either at the club or that he wants to get to the club. Hence the Forest u23 game last game. 

It does all slightly feel like this is a season to write off.

Off the shelf template kit, cut budget, below average recruitment, noises from both management and ownership that we shouldn't expect anything special and it's about hauling ourselves through this season.

Hopefully next season can be when the new era can actually begin.

Off the shelf template kit, cut budget, below average recruitment, noises from both management and ownership that we shouldn't expect anything special and it's about hauling ourselves through this season.

I think it's called managing expectations.

All of us want promotion, few expect it, fewer still will demand it and declare anything less a failure and call for 'change'.

After the last 3 seasons I'd happily take a top to upper mid table finish. That's not 'settling', or showing a lack of ambition/accepting mediocrity, as some will allege. That would be progress, and realistic.

Write off why ??

I think it's called managing expectations.

All of us want promotion, few expect it, fewer still will demand it and declare anything less a failure and call for 'change'.

After the last 3 seasons I'd happily take a top to upper mid table finish. That's not 'settling', or showing a lack of ambition/accepting mediocrity, as some will allege. That would be progress, and realistic.
Whilst I agree with your sentiments and wholeheartedly agree that a mid table finish would suit me down to the ground, the events of this summer haven't filled me with vast amounts of confidence that this will happen.

Archived