onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Budget?

Griffalo

Great that it's all professional and kept in house but wires were clearly crossed regarding the budget 

It was picked up on social media yesterday & I received a few messages asking about the wording of John’s “obviously the budget is lower than last season” and my previous remarks that they are about the same. I replied with the following which I thought may be helpful to share: Hi y’all! John and I had a post match chat this evening and given that I had read this post I asked him what budget figure he felt we were working towards. I was very reassured that it was exactly the same as I thought too. So the concern (which I totally get given where we all were before) is how we have both phrased this season’s playing budget in comparison to last. We understand that it’s only natural (again, given where we’ve all been) to be wary about the club and its unity which leads people to see possible discrepancies. Throughout the club we are building a new era/culture through being together as a group. This grows the more we talk (we learnt the lesson of communicating electronically which may work for some but it didn’t for us!) and sometimes (because we aren’t managed and scripted) one of us will get it slightly awry as happened here. So did John or me get the wording right? Come on guys leave us some mystique 😉🙊👍 UTV. KTF. Cx

Advert

I don't need  to know the budget, only that it is related to what the club can justify. The important thing is that it is spent wisely. Whether there is a marginal drop or increase from last season should not affect our prospects. 

Feel that's a politician answer, doesn't really tell us anything. I don't know why Askey would feel the need to say it if it wasn't true.

If it's lower then it's due to the fat controller taking as much out as possible. Hopefully we can get by this year and build from there.

2 hours ago, Fosse69 said:

I don't need  to know the budget, only that it is related to what the club can justify. The important thing is that it is spent wisely. Whether there is a marginal drop or increase from last season should not affect our prospects. 

I agree. I think you can have a fortune but spend it on the wrong players. I want continuity both in terms of ownership and manager so for that I think we need to spend within our means and build over seasons not months. I still argue that all the local clubs have had their best spells when there has been continuity in the boardroom and in the manager's office - when the likes of Pulis, Rudge, Gradi were allowed time to build their teams under the same owners. For me we need to be looking at a long-term plan not splashing the cash and hoping. We've all seen what that did for the likes of Bury!

I just hope the fanbase don't get impatient and expect instant success.

I agree. I think you can have a fortune but spend it on the wrong players. I want continuity both in terms of ownership and manager so for that I think we need to spend within our means and build over seasons not months. I still argue that all the local clubs have had their best spells when there has been continuity in the boardroom and in the manager's office - when the likes of Pulis, Rudge, Gradi were allowed time to build their teams under the same owners. For me we need to be looking at a long-term plan not splashing the cash and hoping. We've all seen what that did for the likes of Bury!
 I just hope the fanbase don't get impatient and expect instant success.
Brilliant post let's just steady the ship

9 hours ago, Wrex said:

Realistically speaking the budget is lower than last season's so we shouldn't expect to finish much higher in the table. It should be a building job for a future promotion push

Totally disagree, if we finish anywhere close to where we finished last season it will have been a failure in my opinion.

Whether it's lower or not I bet there are plenty of teams with smaller budgets. I also think we under achieved last year due to poor tactics amongst other things.

I'm not saying we must go up but if we are in a relegation battle again then we've failed, in my opinion.

57 minutes ago, Regal Beagle said:

Totally disagree, if we finish anywhere close to where we finished last season it will have been a failure in my opinion.

Whether it's lower or not I bet there are plenty of teams with smaller budgets. I also think we under achieved last year due to poor tactics amongst other things.

I'm not saying we must go up but if we are in a relegation battle again then we've failed, in my opinion.

What you’re saying is too simplistic.

On paper it looks a much harder league this season.  Also, there are many other factors to consider, eg. if any team were to lose a couple of key players to injury it could have a big effect in this division.  Equally at this level a previously average player, or players, can “come good” and make a big difference to one of the lesser fancied sides.

A good signing, or the sale of a star performer in Jan.  Who knows at this point what will happen.

Budget is no real indicator, although it’s fair to say that the better funded teams do tend to finish higher.

You’re right about tactics though. At least  Askey, should have a better chance of playing the way he prefers now that he has more of his own players to choose from.

Apart from anything else I’d welcome a bit of good luck this coming season.

The important thing is what we spend the money on. Not how much there is. SJA has a good record of unearthing players on free transfers or for small fees. And turning them into effective team players. In fact he does is best work when he has very limited resources.

We only have to look at the club on the dark side of the city. They spent £18.3 million on Imbula. He has played 28 times, since 2015 scored 2 goals and costs them about £ 66,000 a week until his contract runs out in 2021.  The bigger the budget the more you have to lose.

Im surprised the budget isnt higher with the season ticket sales being higher already now than last season, and also every penny that comes in would go back into the team which she said would happen.

Maybe its Askeys way of letting the fans know that becuase we have new owners and more season tickets it doesnt mean the team are going to be higher in the table and will be able to afford any more decent lads to bring in.

I will take steady progress this season. I think we will finish about 15th

The budget will change as the season goes on and if money comes in there's a good chance more will be made available to Askey - The point raised was really more about the post match comment made by Askey and how it was quickly dealt with in a professional manner by Carol (The previous owner may have done some touchline finger wagging) 

Archived