onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

In which local cinema did you see your first film and what was the film?

mr.hobblesworth

33 minutes ago, TheSage said:

Either I need to go to Specsavers or you've used a very small font, Barry. 🙂

Btw Nick, there is another 'film' story that could have gone miserably wrong.

It was late 1974 when Ann and yours truly started courting, and on the recommendation of my Watford mate took her to a double feature of 'The Perfumed Garden & Box Car Bertha' at one of the last remaining drive-in theatres in Perth.

Now Nick, without a word of a lie, neither of us were aware what the films were about - my mate Steve forgot to say.

When relating to my friends the evening in question (remembering it was 1974) they were surprised to hear that Ann and I were still an item.

The Perfumed Garden was akin to the Karma Sutra genre, whilst Boxcar Berth was simply brutal to say the least.

Advert

16 hours ago, Davebrad said:

no ones mentioned the bug hut in WOLSTANTON, again cannot remember a film but I do remember the staff walking down the aisles spaying everyone...

The Marshlands. Can remember it but it was closed (and not before time) by the time I started going to the pictures. 

Mine was I think called 'That Riviera Touch' and starred Morecambe and Wise (?) It was at either the Rex or Rio in Newcastle - they were next door to one another and I can't remember which one I went to.

2 hours ago, Aussie Rules said:

Hmm, in the early 1950s I would watch the BBCs Whirligig before heading Up Hanley Duck with my mates to the ABC Cinema.

In my early teens it was hiking & camping with Bucknall Scouts and/or going to Vale Park.

When working 6 days / 60 plus hours a week for the Co-op Dairy in Sneyd Green my limited spare time was mainly spent with the Bentilee St Stephen's youth group.

However. the very first time I saw an 'adult' film other than on the TV remains indelible on my psyche. It was the first time I took Carol Parton nee Jones to the Lyons Café after we walked out early from the Odeon Cinema featuring Drum Beat starring Alan Ladd.

My second eldest brother, Alan, recommended Drum Beat and from memory it was about the US Cavalry v the Indians with double cross and counter double cross. We didn’t stay until the end with the last action seen being the Cavalry moving in single file through a canyon flanked on either side by the Indians. Crikey! I can still see that scene in my mind’s eye. Anyway, we didn’t stay because I was keen to impress Carol by suggesting we go to Lyons Café for afternoon tea. 🙂

Where was the ABC Barry? 

I remember our English teacher taking us all to the Film Theatre to see a film called On The Black Hill. She was quite a prim lady and must have been unaware of a quite graphic scene where a horse had sex (with another horse thank goodness!). When the stallion withdrew from the mare and this thing was flopping about, she was so embarrassed that she nearly went as scarlet as the horse's doodah.

2 hours ago, geosname said:

Where was the ABC Barry? 

Probably means the Odeon.

The ABC Cine-bowl was at the bottom end of Hanley on the Stoke Road (Broad Street? Opposite that pet shop on the corner. Remember that?) and I think didn't open until the mid-60s.

It could have been the Gaumont/Regent on Piccadilly, or maybe the  Empire down Trinity Street (back of Piccadilly).

I best there were 30-40 cinemas in north staffs at one time. I recall one in Smallthorne and another in Trent Vale. All gone now of course.

6 minutes ago, TheSage said:

The ABC Cine-bowl was at the bottom end of Hanley on the Stoke Road (Broad Street? Opposite that pet shop on the corner. Remember that?) and I think didn't open until the mid-60s.

It could have been the Gaumont/Regent on Piccadilly, or maybe the  Empire down Trinity Street (back of Piccadilly).

I best there were 30-40 cinemas in north staffs at one time. I recall one in Smallthorne and another in Trent Vale. All gone now of course.

Or even the Capitol, behind the Woodman pub, where M&S was extended to.

6 minutes ago, TheSage said:

I remember the Odeon by the sentinel office..... the gaumont opposite the unicorn.... the capitol behind M&S, up from the woodman... the essoldo across from the Albion..... cinibowl/heavy steam machine in broad street and the Roxy? Up glass street which became Mr Smith's? 

30 minutes ago, geosname said:

I remember the Odeon by the sentinel office..... the gaumont opposite the unicorn.... the capitol behind M&S, up from the woodman... the essoldo across from the Albion..... cinibowl/heavy steam machine in broad street and the Roxy? Up glass street which became Mr Smith's? 

Yes,the ABC/Heavy Steam Machine was situated at the top of Broad Street opposite where the museum is now.

24 minutes ago, For Us All said:

Yes,the ABC/Heavy Steam Machine was situated at the top of Broad Street opposite where the museum is now.

Before it was the Heavy Steam Machine it was the ABC Cine Bowl - a bowling alley that incorporated a cinema (or the other way round).

4 hours ago, geosname said:

Where was the ABC Barry? 

Crikey Geo, best I remember it was somewhere behind Old Hall Street on the Northwood side of Bucknall New Road. After the ABC we would buy some toffees from a shop corner of Old Hall - opposite Charles Street.

Does anyone remember the Plaza in Longton, its a snooker hall now. Remember going with a group of mates to see our first Adult movie , underage of course. It was a double bill, the Lustful Vicar and Deadly weapons featuring Chesty Morgan, she was a secret agent with a unique way of killing men. Not quite Citizen Kane.

2 minutes ago, Aussie Rules said:

Crikey Geo, best I remember it was somewhere behind Old Hall Street on the Northwood side of Bucknall New Road. After the ABC we would buy some toffees from a shop corner of Old Hall - opposite Charles Street.

I don't remember it Barry and I was born there, moving to bucknall new road across from the 3 tonnes near cappers barbers and Wright's pies..... then up near the dairy at holden bridge with the milk bottle fence....... mind you I was a bit young. 555

7 minutes ago, Aussie Rules said:

True, it was the Capitol in the days of sweet rationing, now part of M&S

1 minute ago, geosname said:

I don't remember it Barry and I was born there, moving to bucknall new road across from the 3 tonnes near cappers barbers and Wright's pies..... then up near the dairy at holden bridge with the milk bottle fence....... mind you I was a bit young. 555

Ah well, maybe it was near Lichfield/Waterloo Road?...

p.s At the time my paternal Aunt Winnie worked for Wrights Pies at the top of Ivy House, and later I would work for the Co-op at Holden Bridge 🙂 

Archived