onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

In which local cinema did you see your first film and what was the film?

mr.hobblesworth

Advert

17 hours ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

What have I started? A load of old men forgetting where stuff was... 😉

My dad used to tell me stories of when he went to the Picture Palace (I think he called it) in the twenties! It probably became the Coliseum later, in Burslem (?).

But it was apparently a huge place and of course in those days the films were silent. They had a fella playing a piano and the words eventually appeared along the bottom of the screen, like ticker tape. He reckoned it encourage you to learn to read!

A few more pictures here -

https://potteries.staffspasttrack.org.uk/search.aspx?SearchType=2&PageIndex=1&ThemeID=222

23 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

What was the cinema in Tunstall called on High Street next to the posh furniture shop and more or less opposite Burtons. They used to show many of the popular films of the time, remember going there a few times.

Barber’s Palace??

24 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

My first film was at the Gaumont in Whitley Bay. It was Davy Crockett, King is the Wild Frontier. I must have about five!!  

Fess Parker and buddy Ebson (Jed clampet?) 

I had the hat...... good grief I'd forgotten about that

1 hour ago, Paul6754 said:

What was the cinema in Tunstall called on High Street next to the posh furniture shop and more or less opposite Burtons. They used to show many of the popular films of the time, remember going there a few times.

The Essoldo.

On 7/5/2019 at 8:48 PM, Paul6754 said:

Mine to MB, was it called "Valentines" or something similar. Used to go on a Saturday morning and see the cowboy films as well and then pop across the road for a 6d mixture at Molly's.......now that was living.

Think it was called Valentines cheers

there was the Rex and Rio with a joint entrance, in the High street, then further down the Savoy opposite the Guildhall, lastly I think the Roxy across the road from the baths and Queens gardens, with the statue of Queen Victoria outside...

10 minutes ago, Davebrad said:

there was the Rex and Rio with a joint entrance, in the High street, then further down the Savoy opposite the Guildhall, lastly I think the Roxy across the road from the baths and Queens gardens, with the statue of Queen Victoria outside...

I can just about remember the Roxy - it was on Nelson Place. Fairly nondescript office block took its place.

The only two I remember in Hanley were quite close together. There was the one opposite where the museum is , just up form the Mitchell Theatre (I think) and then another on the other side of the road, further in to Hanley. Can't remember their names. Seems bizarre now having 2 cinemas within a stones throw of each other. I think it is really sad how these little cinemas, some with really beautiful designs, have been wiped out in favour of the identikit multiplexes. 

Archived