onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

In which local cinema did you see your first film and what was the film?

mr.hobblesworth

Bit of an unwieldy title but I was discussing old cinemas on a different forum and it took me back to when I was little. My first film was Bambi at the Savoy in Newcastle, some neighbours took me one Christmas. I've tried to find photos of it but can only find pictures of the rear, near the multi-storey. I can picture that cinema so vividly. There was that long alley type thing to walk along from the high street and the box office was at the end. They sold Poppets (or the equivalent). I have a really vivid memory of my dad driving past one Sunday afternoon when Jaws had come on and being astonished at the length of the queue. I my mind, it stretched all the way down to St Giles' Church but I guess that might not be the case. I also remember going to see The Spy Who Loved Me one Christmas and at the end of the pre-credits bit, Bond skied off a cliff and opened up a union flag parachute and I was puzzled as to why the audience all started clapping and cheering.

Advert

My first time was at the cannon. In Hanley. I think it was called that anyway. I went with a girl to see apollo 13. It was my first date. I had to watch the film again... :)

I have a thing for girls named Emma lol I married one!

I remember when I was very young standing outside the Grand in Leek waiting for my sisters to come out of ET but it closed down before I could watch anything there myself.

The first film I saw would have been at the Cannon in Hanley. Maybe Back To the Future?

1 hour ago, For Us All said:

My mum took me to see The King And I at Barber's Palace in Tunstall.

Blimey, I remember going to Barber's every Saturday morning. It was like a child minding club. My mum dropped me off and did the shopping while I watched the films. There were usually two on weren't there? Always a western and John Wayne. And if it was your birthday you got called up on stage and received a bag of sweets.

I can't remember what the first film was that I went to but I recall watching Help at the Essoldo round the corner and also Batman at the Regent I think in the mid-sixties. Both queues were enormous.

Very happy memories indeed.

the COL ie Gaumont/Colosium in Burslem, that was the posh one the tatty one across the road- Bournes bank was the Palace/Eselldo?. My parents took me from about 1952, they both had a film on mon. tue, wed. then changed film for thur fri sat... sundays had either one film or if it was a big film sun and all week. We went Monday and Saturday so saw 2 a week out of 4, can't remember any particular films but I do remember buying a block of cadburys chocolate for 6d and cutting each square in 4 so it would last longer...oh and trying to find the bag of salt in the crisps and not making a noise.

My 1st cinema visit was to the one in Kidsgrove ( can't remember the name ) above the town hall. Every Saturday we used to go and watch the latest Cowboy film and then come out firing pretend guns and bows and arrows lol.

Struggling to remember which came first , Mary Poppins or Zulu.  That was at the old ABC Cinebowl in Hanley, massive cinema. Probably always claim it was Zulu, still my favourite film of all time. Just 150 British soldiers at Rorke's Drift  against 4000 Zulus with only a Martini - Henry rifle and some close harmony singing to protect them.

In case I was in any danger of having any credibility I still have my Mary Poppins EP for those of you old enough to remember what one of those is.

I remember going to the gaumont Hanley Saturday mornings with my mate to watch flash Gordon..... and Zorro..... we used to come out with our coats over our shoulders with the top button fastened like a cloak and wave imaginary swords as we pranced up the street .

My first X film was a 3d horror called the skull.... put the mask on now..... crap really even at 13 ish.

Archived