onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

New flagpoles

Jacko51

Advert

9 minutes ago, jeffers said:

Does it really matter why or where the pulleys were.

It will get rid of the eyesore and generate sponsorship. 

Glad Smugthwaite didn't change them, can you imagine 6 pictures of his chin fluttering in the wind.

the point being made is why have 10 new poles, if indeed that is what is meant. The ones in place now looked all right last home match, they need flags have done for awhile, if as one poster said the flags could not be raised, so why replace everything when only the mechanism, and cord plus flags are needed... save the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves...

18 minutes ago, Davebrad said:

the point being made is why have 10 new poles, if indeed that is what is meant. The ones in place now looked all right last home match, they need flags have done for awhile, if as one poster said the flags could not be raised, so why replace everything when only the mechanism, and cord plus flags are needed... save the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves...

The point is that our new owners have seen fit to replace the old poles rather than just pulling them down, or worse, leaving them in the dilapidated state that they were currently in.

It’s safe to assume that the old poles were beyond economic repair, and, for all we know, the parts may be unobtainable.

It may be possible that some form of sponsorship has payed for the new poles, if not, the onus is on the marketing team to ensure that any available advertising space on flags is sold to recoup the cost of replacing the old poles.

The only thing I would hope is that any flags are replaced when they become weathered, otherwise it’s like looking up at a dirty old pair of bloomers.

1 hour ago, robf said:

I think it's also just the general impression that a well-run and smart stadium gives. It gives any stand sponsors / stadium sponsors the view that the club takes pride in the appearance of its stadium. The flats are also visually impressive for any commercial sponsors being wined and dined in the Lorne St posh seats too.

I didn't know we had built any flats ( Sorry Rob couldn't resist lol )

If the owners think it's a better option to replace instead of repair that's what they should do.

You can't micromanage from the outside.

The whole club has to be lifted out of the pit it's sunken into.... not just the players.

2 hours ago, jeffers said:

Glad Smugthwaite didn't change them, can you imagine 6 pictures of his chin fluttering in the wind.

Does anyone know what happened to the old flagpoles?

I've got a suggestion for where we can stick them.

6 minutes ago, newchapel valiant said:

Maybe the flagpoles were unsafe, or maybe there is no certificate from when they were installed.

The owners have a duty of care for  all supporters and could end in court if anything happens to anyone.

so stop questioning everything they do.

i'm not questioning everything they do, just saying on the information given in this thread post 6, they were being replaced because the mechanism for raising and lowering the flags had to be replaced cause of rust which was beyond repair... if the poles were unsafe fair enough but if it was just the pulley why go to unnecessary expense.

Sorry I started this thread now!  I do know that the club had a meeting with the safety bods last week so I don't know if this has been a response to that meeting.  I believe there were a number of issues which our previous owner had failed to deal with if they cost money.

Don't be sorry, news from the ground is always welcome to those living far away. Obviously every change will be pored over as if it is still a one man show. Safety is paramount, no doubt other changes will be apparent when the turnstiles open.

Archived