onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Wimbledon Tennis 2019

robf

Advert

Haven't been lucky this year so no tickets for me in the ballot. Should be good to see a roof on No.1 court and always good if you get the opportunity to watch poetry in motion that is better known as Roger Federer, even at his advanced age. Hopefully Andy Murray can play well and continue his recovery. The forecast looks decent so I'll raise a glass of champagne and a bowl of strawberries and cream to the next fortnight. It's a shame Dan Maskell isn't doing the commentary but you can't have everything. Name spotting in the royal box can also be interesting. How the other half live!

With the demise of Andy Murray, it’s down to Sth African born Kyle Edmund and Australian born Johanna Konta to fly the British flag at this year’s Wimbledon. Plus Dan Evans, competing again after his drugs ban.

We all hoped that Murray’s decade of almost unprecedented success at the highest level would inspire youngsters to take up tennis, but this has not materialised. 

The reason why cannot be down to a lack of money within the LTA, so why do we continually fail to produce top class players ? Countries like Argentina and Spain for example, who I would imagine have no where near the financial resources that we do, churn out top 50 players seemingly at will.

Is it bad management of considerable resources, or that old class divide which always seems to hinder British tennis ?

If we could answer that question RR we'd be millionaires! But it is very frustrating, especially when you think we've had Murray in our ranks for a decade or more, plus annually we hold the world's most prestigious tennis tournament.

The weather has something to do with it. Not everything but it is a factor. Spain and South America and the USA and Australia have better weather, as does France, which also has a lot of outdoor tennis courts (virtually every village seems to have one!). But I don't think many schools play tennis. It tends to be athletics and cricket and rounders/netball doesn't it? And you need one tennis court for only 2 players which is expensive to run and to umpire. I'm sure public schools play more tennis. And, as has been said before, most of our more successful players have come from the middle/upper classes or trained abroad in the sunshine at great expense.

Something isn't right. The LTA has a lot to answer for. All that money and once Wimbledon is over....

You make a valid point about court availability. In my old stomping ground, the courts at Porthill Park are now unplayable. Are the courts still there at Morton House ? I recently passed my old school of Wolstanton Grammar and Mr Kirby’s beloved tennis court is now a car park ! When I was incarcerated there, the vast majority of teachers didn’t even own a vehicle !

But have these courts fell into disuse simply because no one uses them, or because of lack of investment by the local authority ?

Either way, it’s a great shame as tennis is a great sport.

PS. As a sports mad mid  teenager, I once tried to enquire about joining Basford Tennis Club. Before I even got to the door a very eloquent, smartly dressed woman informed me that it was a private club and that my membership of such would not be required.

There, I suspect, lies the real problem.

14 minutes ago, RailwayRowdy said:

I once tried to enquire about joining Basford Tennis Club. Before I even got to the door a very eloquent, smartly dressed woman informed me that it was a private club and that my membership of such would not be required.

Are we, on here, at all surprised, knowing you as we do?! :classic_biggrin:

I once managed to join a friend of mine and pay for the privilege of playing at Stone's tennis club, on a grass court, but as far as I recall all the members there were of the upper classes and spoke with plumbs in their mouths.

Walking through a few local parks recently virtually no-one plays tennis any more. Many courts have closed and are in a terrible state now (like the bowling greens) and no-one plays tennis at all, not even in the school holidays. Children prefer to stay in and play computer games and go on their laptops. 

It's funny how times have changed isn't it? I too used to spend all my early years outdoors playing all manner of sports. Football until dusk. Tennis. Even bowls sometimes in Tunstall park. Putting. Cricket. Anything and everything - until my mum embarrassed me in front of my mates by coming to look for me and telling me it was school tomorrow and bed-time. It doesn't seem to happen any more. Sport was my life growing up. I hated being indoors!

Is it my hyperopia, but have the courts at Wimbledon (I refuse to call it SW19) “slowed” over the years ?

In years gone by the surface seemed incredibly quick, which no doubt encouraged the serve/volley game which now seems to be out of vogue. I wonder if the demise of the latter is in some way indicative of the former ?

In a potential 5 set match, the serve/volley approach would seem better as it would shorten the points and ultimately the match thus conserving energy for a gruelling fortnight..

Or is it simply that players have “forgotten” how to master the art of the volley ?

Thoughts ?

I'm not sure about that. There are still some fast serving players on the circuit, like Raonic, but maybe not quite as many as in the past. And of course none of the other tournaments are played on grass so most players are brought up on the long haul of carpet and clay.

Funnily enough I think I heard one player say she thought the grass was a bit long yesterday. Maybe they need to lower the mower!

It didn't look that fast when Borg won all his titles from the baseline. I think it's just the ebb and flow of the years.

• 2 weeks later...

Fine performance from Halep to defeat a sluggish Williams as age seems to have caught up with the American. 

Williams normally overpowers opponents, but the Rumanian’s speed and skill around the court seemed too much for her. Still, with 20+ Grand Slam titles to her name, she hasn’t had a bad career has she ?

I hope that the men’s “golden oldie” does it tomorrow. Federer’s backhand is a delight to watch and his serve often goes under the radar. I genuine nice guy who is difficult not to like, unlike his opponent tomorrow. 

Archived