Home Forum News History Predictions About Contact
Sign in to follow this  
tommytunstall

Graham Barnett

Just before my time but I know he knocked around the Club after he retired and that's a lovely warm tribute in the paper.

Another local lad from past glory days gone. We will not see the likes again. Very sad.

Sorry to hear of Grahams passing, he was a smashing footballer and I spent many pleasant hours watching him play. RIP Graham.

Indeed, 20 goals in 22 appearances in the 58/59 season, the last Vale team to finish top of their league.

Just been reading some of his stories in Port Vale Tales again. He seemed to enjoy flattening opposition goalkeepers and I don't think that endeared him to Norman Low.

His cup beard started off because he had a couple of weeks' growth when Vale played at Dorchester and it became a bit of a running joke after that. It was shaved off onstage at the cinema by his wife during the interval. However he fell out with Low the week before the Villa game after he played well away at Cardiff but got dropped.

There was also a good story about him tipping off the club about a young striker playing Sunday football up Castle called Adrian Heath, only to be told he'd make 'a good ****ing jockey'.

Indeed, 20 goals in 22 appearances in the 58/59 season, the last Vale team to finish top of their league.

Quite amazing when you look back at it - working down the pit in the morning before a Saturday game! He comes across as a lovely bloke, and a club stalwart. RIP Graham, and thank you.

I had the pleasure of meeting Graham when he and the Vale ex-players association came to my dad's birthday a few years back. A lovely fellow. RIP Graham.

My better half and his family lived just round the corner from Graham in Hanley. Eddie says what a really nice bloke he was and that all the lasses in the neighbourhood fancied him!

Great servant for the club. RIP, Graham.

Had the privilege of watching him in the 8-0 defeat of Gateshead and in the 1960 FA Cup match at Vale with the record 49,768 crowd. Stood on the Hamil End bank with my family all mixed in with the Villa fans - they were dead nice, always had a soft spot for the Villa ever since. Sad to say, I think it was Gerry Hitchens, who then went off to play in Italy, a rarity in those days, who finished us off. At half-time two Vale fellahs came on the pitch, probably a bit worse for wear, and practised make-believe penos. Can't recall anyone dragging them off. Those were the days!

Great servant for the club. RIP, Graham.

Had the privilege of watching him in the 8-0 defeat of Gateshead and in the 1960 FA Cup match at Vale with the record 49,768 crowd. Stood on the Hamil End bank with my family all mixed in with the Villa fans - they were dead nice, always had a soft spot for the Villa ever since. Sad to say, I think it was Gerry Hitchens, who then went off to play in Italy, a rarity in those days, who finished us off. At half-time two Vale fellahs came on the pitch, probably a bit worse for wear, and practised make-believe penos. Can't recall anyone dragging them off. Those were the days!

My memory says Hitchens too, a big star at the time. Strangely after the 4 goals against Gateshead Graham never scored for the Vale again. Fantastic gate considering the amount of snow about at the time.

I am reliably informed that Graham was a perfect gentleman as a young man and never tried to drag the lasses up the entry!!

Graham's funeral is on Monday.  I'm told that the hearse will drive by the Sproson Statue at 11.30 on the way to Carmountside.  It would be nice if we had some Vale fans there to give him a send off. 

• Like 1