onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Women World Cup and England

Heatwave

I thought the girl was trying to take her foot away and the US player stumbled and then fell over. I don't recall anyone appealing for it.

But, as I said above, England got no penalty for a much worse challenge than that and no red card for that tackle at the end. It's bizarre.

How can they make such contrary and controversial decisions?

Worst of all is the fact that no-one knows what's going on half the time as play gets brought back 45 seconds later when everyone thinks they're playing on. The delays are absurd. It's ruining game after game.

The only way you could get the system to work is to give the VAR officials the ability to stop the game immediately they think an offence has been committed. If that happened we might as well all pack up and go home.

Advert

I thought VAR might be very good for the game but I'm having serious second thoughts now.

It's supposed to take away any element of doubt but that US penalty could have gone either way and you are still none the wiser after watching it 10 times over and slowing it down.

I'm not particularly happy with the idea that your big toe can put you offside either. In very close matters why not give the benefit to the striker and make it plain that the majority of your body has to be in front to be given offside?

The other controversial thing is, of course, this rule about interfering with play. A huge grey area. Yes or no? Distracting for the keeper or not? In the keeper's line of sight or wouldn't he/she have saved it anyway? Another huge area of debate.

But if they keep stopping games like this and we end up playing ten extra minutes in every 45 it's a farce for me.

Unlike cricket and rugby and tennis, football doesn't have long breaks and it's breaking up the flow of the game and leaving the fans bemused by what's going on.

I'm not particularly happy with the idea that your big toe can put you offside either. In very close matters why not give the benefit to the striker and make it plain that the majority of your body has to be in front to be given offside?

Been having a debate about this in our house, Sage. If we are to have VAR I think the offside law needs to be reviewed. We've seen a couple of examples in recent matches (the Cameroon "goal" and the Jesse Lingard one v Holland) where we are talking centimetres. Defenders are benefitting from this when it is nowt to do with their defensive qualities at all and attackers are losing out when they are clearly not "seeking to gain an advantage".

It used to be the case that the benefit of the doubt was given to the attacking player. Now we have no doubt even when talking centimetres. Why not change the law so that you can only be offside if there is clear daylight between your trunk and that of the defender.

From the very conception of VAR I’ve said it will never work and I’ve seen nothing to make me change my mind.

What some people who are VAR advocates seem to forget is that most decisions are down to the referee’s interpretation of the law. On most occasions there is no definitive “yes” or “no” No amount of replays can definitely confirm if a foul is committed or not.

This then undermines the referee’s authority and, as in the England/Cameroon game, the ref loses the plot.

It’s been tried and it’s failed. No amount of “tinkering” will ever get it to produce the right decision, as in most cases there is no right decision or indeed wrong decision, merely interpretation.

Technology can be beneficial as in goal line technology because there is a definite goal/ no goal scenario. The same cannot, and never can be, applied to VAR. Scrap it for the good of the game.

VAR is also to blame for the non giving of offside decisions. We've already seen the farce of the offside player having to touch the ball before an offside is given; now the linesman can't raise the flag even if there's a clear offside as the passage of play has to conclude before a decision is made.

From the very conception of VAR I’ve said it will never work and I’ve seen nothing to make me change my mind.

What some people who are VAR advocates seem to forget is that most decisions are down to the referee’s interpretation of the law. On most occasions there is no definitive “yes” or “no” No amount of replays can definitely confirm if a foul is committed or not.

This then undermines the referee’s authority and, as in the England/Cameroon game, the ref loses the plot.

It’s been tried and it’s failed. No amount of “tinkering” will ever get it to produce the right decision, as in most cases there is no right decision or indeed wrong decision, merely interpretation.

Technology can be beneficial as in goal line technology because there is a definite goal/ no goal scenario. The same cannot, and never can be, applied to VAR. Scrap it for the good of the game.

*thanks*

I thought VAR might be very good for the game but I'm having serious second thoughts now.

It's supposed to take away any element of doubt but that US penalty could have gone either way and you are still none the wiser after watching it 10 times over and slowing it down.

The other controversial thing is, of course, this rule about interfering with play. A huge grey area. Yes or no? Distracting for the keeper or not? In the keeper's line of sight or wouldn't he/she have saved it anyway? Another huge area of debate.

But if they keep stopping games like this and we end up playing ten extra minutes in every 45 it's a farce for me.

Unlike cricket and rugby and tennis, football doesn't have long breaks and it's breaking up the flow of the game and leaving the fans bemused by what's going on.

The other daft rule ruining the game under VAR is giving penalties for hand ball when it's definitely ball to hand, in the split second when most players have to use their arms, to some extent, to keep their balance and there's no discernible intent. Over the top, if you ask me.

Tough game for England v Norway on Thursday. We need to stop giving the ball away in midfield and move the ball more quickly through the thirds to Ellen White, who seems able to score with virtually every chance. Playing Beth Mead and Rachel Daly in both wide positions would also help, particularly instead of Theresa Duggan who's been injured and largely ineffective. We can win this but only if we keep out the stupid errors we've been making and play to our strengths.

The other daft rule ruining the game under VAR is giving penalties for hand ball when it's definitely ball to hand, in the split second when most players have to use their arms, to some extent, to keep their balance and there's no discernible intent. Over the top, if you ask me.

Tough game for England v Norway on Thursday. We need to stop giving the ball away in midfield and move the ball more quickly through the thirds to Ellen White, who seems able to score with virtually every chance. Playing Beth Mead and Rachel Daly in both wide positions would also help, particularly instead of Theresa Duggan who's been injured and largely ineffective. We can win this but only if we keep out the stupid errors we've been making and play to our strengths.

Stupid errors seem to be the trait of all England teams at the moment all the way down to the U21's?

Spot on.

We seem to play in fits and spurts but all too often have conceded possession in central midfield by not being aware enough and not passing it more rapidly. Hopefully that will improve as we get further into the tournament but we do look a poor disjointed team when we lose the ball and have to funnel back quickly.

The keeper has made 2-3 excellent saves but her kicking....

6 minutes ago, For Us All said:

Getting hammered so far by the Yanks.

Long way to go, but they do look a few steps in front (USA) .

This quote off the BBC made me think 🙄

Alice Delaney, a 24-year-old researcher from Lincoln, says: "When you watch the men play, you expect them to lose. When the women play you feel nervous because you know they could win."

I believe we can always win 😆 

and 1 all now 😤😤😤

Archived