onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Port Vale Fail 3: Lawrie Wilson

News Feed

lawrie-wilson-150x78.jpgSometimes it’s wise not to pick a player simply on the strength of his performances for previous clubs…

About Port Vale Fail – Lawrie Wilson

There’s often an argument on the forum which goes “why don’t we sign player xyz, he was brilliant for club abc…”

If only life was so simple and a football manager’s job would simply involve picking the players with the best reputation to play for their club.

Continue reading Port Vale Hall of Shame 3: Lawrie Wilson at onevalefan.co.uk.

Click for full article

--

This is an automated feed from:

http://www.onevalefan.co.uk

View our home page for our latest features

--

Advert

File under 'good signing on paper'.

I remember the moment when a whole away end started looking at each other and worrying that he actually wasn't any good. It was at Crawley on the opening day when he sliced a fairly routine clearance out for a corner.

Remember when everyone was excited about Martin Foyle's 5 early signings back in 2007? Justin Miller, Shane Tudor, Paul Edwards, Craig Rocastle and (the exception) Marc Richards? Actually, looking back at that season, Richards aside, we can't have had any worse incomings until Smurthwaite took over. Dave Mulligan , Callum Willock, Perry & Slater. Adam Eckersley was ok, I seem to remember but the rest were awful.

Remember when everyone was excited about Martin Foyle's 5 early signings back in 2007? Justin Miller, Shane Tudor, Paul Edwards, Craig Rocastle and (the exception) Marc Richards? Actually, looking back at that season, Richards aside, we can't have had any worse incomings until Smurthwaite took over. Dave Mulligan , Callum Willock, Perry & Slater. Adam Eckersley was ok, I seem to remember but the rest were awful.

Yeah that often comes to mind when people moan about Vale not going for players with good reputations.

I know that not every unknown is a success (arguably with the exception of Oyeleke you could say that about Aspin's non-league arrivals) but it's often the same with the more "proven" names. Yes, some can be a success (Scott Brown stand up and take a bow) but it's often the case that just because a player is a success at one club he may not be at another, different set-up.

Askey's signings may or may not be decent - and the truth is that while people can speculate about whether Kennedy or Burgess are good or bad signings all day long no-one will be able to make a judgement call until they pull on a Vale shirt for the first time...

Wilson was quite bizarre because he looked a brilliant signing.

Remembered him being outstanding in that horrible Stevenage side ( yes i know they are still vile ) under Westley.

Then scored against us at Bolton in the 3-1 and played a fair amount of games in a promoted side.

Looked an absolutely fantastic coup by Baldrick, little did we know.

Complete lack of interest or effort, disgraceful really.

To try and offer a little balance, what I heard was that he was nursing an injury that he never really recovered from, so he was a bit of a gamble anyway. It simply didn't work out for him here. "Hall of shame" is a bit strong really - he was struggling, and was spoken of as a good pro who had just lost it. Not his fault, but that's just my view. Of more concern is that we seem to invest in players who are injury prone - he was just one of many.

To try and offer a little balance, what I heard was that he was nursing an injury that he never really recovered from, so he was a bit of a gamble anyway. It simply didn't work out for him here. "Hall of shame" is a bit strong really - he was struggling, and was spoken of as a good pro who had just lost it. Not his fault, but that's just my view. Of more concern is that we seem to invest in players who are injury prone - he was just one of many.

Probably a valid point you make.

As i said i thought it was a fantastic signing at the time.

Did come across as not bothered attitude though, wasn't he grinning at the paddock one game after another inept home loss ?

Either way, he was a good player and seems odd at say 29/30 whatever he is to be plying his trade at non-league level.

"Hall of shame" is a bit strong really

Believe it or not, I took a while thinking over the name of the series.

In retrospect I think you're absolutely right. It is a bit too harsh.

So I'm going to change it to "Port Vale Fails" - which I think it fairer in that it's players who failed at Port Vale for any number of reasons - not necessarily ones to be ashamed of.

You'll see the names of the threads / blog posts changing today...

File under 'good signing on paper'.

I remember the moment when a whole away end started looking at each other and worrying that he actually wasn't any good. It was at Crawley on the opening day when he sliced a fairly routine clearance out for a corner.

Yep. 5 minutes in we all just looked at eachother in disbelief at how poorly he'd started.

I think he's a case of someone who just falls off a cliff through attitude or injury - I think with Wilson his body just gave up on him one summer and that was that.

Archived