onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Bennell gets worse, and Eddie Heath

Fosse69

Advert

This is a link to the Guardian article (it's pretty strong stuff just so you are aware):

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jun/03/andy-woodward-barry-bennell-cousin-mothers-sister-murdered

Perhaps the local media in South Cheshire may want to read it and see what proper newspaper reporting is like? One of football's biggest scandals happens on their patch and despite their local knowledge, their contacts, their inside knowledge, they simply sweep it under the carpet. It's a good job the Guardian do proper journalism.

Yeah, Daniel Taylor has been absolutely brilliant.

I'm surprised that football fans haven't had a co-ordinated response to any of this. The board's refusal to have a proper enquiry, their lack of any apology, their (at best) negligence. I don't know what would be the best approach to take; away fans boycotting Gresty Road or it's refreshments, a lengthy chant of 'shame on you by all home supporters at a specific point in the game when Crewe visit, I dunno. I do know that if it was Vale's current administration being discussed in that article, I wouldn't be stepping foot through the gates again.

Don't know about the fans; that's one thing, but haven't the PFA said anything? A good number of their members will have been Bennell's victims.

Barsteward. He deserves all he gets.

I wish that Woodward could get what he deserves. 'Closure' seems to be a horribly trite word to use in the circumstances but when the club responsible for this happening to him make no attempt whatsoever to even say sorry, it feels like the guy is doomed. Such a tragic story. Then there's that filthy subhuman scum who trolled him with the fake Bennell twitter account. How could any human stoop so low?

Meanwhile on the Crewe forum, they're spending their time questioning whether 'monkey hangers' is an objectionable term for Hartlepool.

I wish that Woodward could get what he deserves. 'Closure' seems to be a horribly trite word to use in the circumstances but when the club responsible for this happening to him make no attempt whatsoever to even say sorry, it feels like the guy is doomed. Such a tragic story. Then there's that filthy subhuman scum who trolled him with the fake Bennell twitter account. How could any human stoop so low?

Meanwhile on the Crewe forum, they're spending their time questioning whether 'monkey hangers' is an objectionable term for Hartlepool.

On what basis are the club to blame ! Barry Benell is a pervert ,,, you need to take a look at yourself you disgusting man using people who have been abused to score points again another football . You’d soon stop your vile nonsense if it happened to your family !

This is a link to the Guardian article (it's pretty strong stuff just so you are aware):

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jun/03/andy-woodward-barry-bennell-cousin-mothers-sister-murdered

Perhaps the local media in South Cheshire may want to read it and see what proper newspaper reporting is like? One of football's biggest scandals happens on their patch and despite their local knowledge, their contacts, their inside knowledge, they simply sweep it under the carpet. It's a good job the Guardian do proper journalism.

Prison is simply too good for Bennell why should the tax payer have to keep this vile creature in jail. He is a danger to society and for every youngster's safety should have been treated accordingly.

A reminder Crewe blacklisted Daniel Taylor, the journalist of this article, to prevent him from attending a Q&A session held at the club.

This is a cover-up of monumental proportions and the revelation here that Gradi had seen youth players sat on the lap of coaches only reinforce this.

If this was any other line of work Crewe would have been shut down months ago. This isn't about a footballing rivalry, but a quite sickening institutional cover up lasting decades.

The club were warned about Bennell and did nothing. That's why they are to blame.

Also, their subsequent actions have done absolutely nothing to help the victims get their lives back on track. No apology, no inquest or inquiry. Instead we get their lawyers high-fiving each other in front of Woodward when he loses a legal action against them. I should add, I get no joy from bringing Crewe in to this. I didn't have any strong opinion on the club either way before this and I'm certainly not after scoring points. In fact, when the abuse came to light, I asked on here that people not use it as an opportunity to gloat. However, I am genuinely disgusted and upset by what has happened to Woodward (and the other victims) and how the club has had such a large part on destroying this man's life.

On what basis are the club to blame ! Barry Benell is a pervert ,,, you need to take a look at yourself you disgusting man using people who have been abused to score points again another football . You’d soon stop your vile nonsense if it happened to your family !

It has been reported that a former director claimed that Crewe officials (I would make it clear that its the people in charge of Crewe at the time, not fans, who are subject to scrutiny here) were made aware of concerns about Bennell and failed to act. If that is the case then blame can absolutely be laid at their door. The club officials may well deny this but as they refuse to comment, we don't know whether they deny it or not because they aren't saying anything.

As the Guardian puts it - the sound of their silence in Barry Bennell affair is deafening

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/nov/25/dario-gradi-barry-bennell-crewe-alexandra-football-abuse-scandal

I totally agree with Joe B - this isn't about football rivalry - this is about the welfare of children. I saw one report that mentioned that 840 football clubs were implicated in a report the police have put together. It could be that Port Vale are one of those. If they are then as a fan I would expect the club to co-operate fully with the inquiry, be open and honest, apologise, learn and ensure it never happens again. If they didn't I would walk away from the club I've supported for over 40 years without a second thought.

As Crewe have been named have they co-operated fully, been open and honest, apologised, learnt from it, ensured it won't happen again? If not, why not?

I fully agree that our thoughts and sympathies should definitely be focused on those who have been horribly abused and their families - but we should also be focused on how we can prevent anyone else ever going through this too? And to do that we need to ensure places like football clubs are safe in the future. To do that, clubs need to co-operate with the authorities.

Put it in a similar context. If Bennell worked in a school and it emerged that students were staying at his house and that the head had been told about his behaviour and did nothing, what would you think? Crewe had/have the same duty of care.

• 2 months later...

Archived