onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

TV series you are watching

robf

I thought in the spirit of the book thread, we could look at what TV series to watch.

I'd kick it off with Chernobyl which we are watching at the moment. Very bleak but looks very convincing on the historical accuracy. Nice to see the Office's Finchy as a Russian General too.

On a slightly different tangent, we also enjoyed Black Summer on Netflix. It's a zombie/apocolypse series but a little different as it seems more realistic (i.e. everyone has the potential to die without any warning) and has some interesting camera work - lots of long shots where you follow characters and along the way you'll see other characters doing things which will be explained later.

Any others?

Advert

I'm terrible for putting things off and as a result I've got a big list of things that I'd like to watch but never get round to. Watching the telly can be a bit too much like a chore these days, it's another inbox to clear. I think life was so much more straightforward when something was on at a certain time and you had to either watch it then or set the video.

Been watching a lot of Archer at the minute, and yes I know I'm a bit late to it. I find that those American half hours are a really good length given my short atten

Chernobyl - decidedly grim but one of the best series I've watched. Great script, excellent dialogue and brilliant acting. Really brings home the horror of nuclear power gone wrong. A don't miss series if ever there was one.

Berlin Station - second series of the spy drama set in modern day Berlin. Good but not as good as the first series, which was excellent.

About to start watching Riviera on catch up, so hope that's going to be as good as the last series.

Most of the stuff available here, on the telly, is crap..... agents of shield, proven innocent, criminal minds blah blah blah.

So I tend to turn the clock back.... tinker, Taylor..... smileys people..... the prisoner... Boston legal.... even early House episodes, it's lupus.. oh no it isn't,... even found a few episodes of the human jungle with Herbert lot.

Most of the stuff available here, on the telly, is crap..... agents of shield, proven innocent, criminal minds blah blah blah.

So I tend to turn the clock back.... tinker, Taylor..... smileys people..... the prisoner... Boston legal.... even early House episodes, it's lupus.. oh no it isn't,... even found a few episodes of the human jungle with Herbert lot.

Bloody spellchecker..... Herbert Lom .

I've had the most recent series of Twin Peaks sat on my shelf for about 18 months now so am currently wading through all the earlier episodes. It's till one of the greatest ever TV shows, albeit one that's significantly flawed in parts.

Like Santa said, things do seem to be a bit of a chore nowadays and I can't imagine ever returning to those days where I watched an episode of something and then had to wait a week for the next one. Closest I've come to that recently was This Time with Alan Partridge. Even though there were parts that, for me, didn't really work, I believe Alan is by far the greatest comedy creation of the last 40 years, if not all time.

I've just watched every episode of the League of Gentlemen for the first time.

First series exceptional, after that pretty awful in my opinion. What's so weird to me is that I now realise that Little Britain was a total rip off of League of Gentlemen, albeit a dumbed down version. Looked into it and the LOG guys wrote most of Little Britain anyway so it all adds up.

Looked into it and the LOG guys wrote most of Little Britain anyway so it all adds up.

Dunno where you read that but it's nonsense.

I like the 2nd series and thought it was better than the 1st in many ways, certainly had more of a narrative arc. The third is generally slated but it had some really great episodes, Geoff going to London being one that springs to mind. Christmas special was great but I thought the recent specials were quite poor. Psychoville and Inside no. 9 are arguably the better shows.

Series 3 had its highlights but I wasn't keen on the narrative.

Series 2 was the best one for me, the highlight being the episode with Papa Lazarou. I'll never forget sitting down to watch that for the first time.

Archived