onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Good Book Thread

Jacko51

48 minutes ago, robf said:

The Testaments is as good as always from Margaret Atwood (and very appropriate in these times). If you've not come across her works then I can highly recommend them. It's difficult to pick some of her books out as its a high standard but the Handmaid's Tale (like Game of Thrones the plot has been hugely changed in the TV series - I prefer the book), Alias Grace or The Blind Assassin are well worth your time.

I’ve picked up oryx and crake a few times and never actually gone for it.

Advert

On 22/09/2019 at 11:47, Andyregs said:

I’ve picked up oryx and crake a few times and never actually gone for it.

I really like that one but it's a bit "out there" in terms of her books. I think she describes it as pure science fiction. Something perhaps easier to start with would be Alias Grace or even the Handmaids Tale if you haven't read it. 

4 hours ago, robf said:

I really like that one but it's a bit "out there" in terms of her books. I think she describes it as pure science fiction. Something perhaps easier to start with would be Alias Grace or even the Handmaids Tale if you haven't read it. 

I love science fiction and fantasy, which is why it was the one of hers that stood out to me.

Bee Quest, Building the Buzz and Sting in the Tail by Dave Goulson - three books about bees, on which he is a global expert, and they are beautiful reads, taking you back to those flower filled meadows we used to muck about in when we were younger.  Anything by Chris Yates about carp fishing is also chicken soup for the soul - he writes superbly, and it's not all about fishing, but about lots of other stuff as well.  Oh, and Erebus by Michael Palin - brilliant.  Have also just finished the 3 Danny Baker autobiographies and they are funny and poignant.

• 1 month later...

I enjoyed the Danny Baker books and miss his Saturday morning show.

Billy Connolly's latest book is also very entertaining if you want some light reading.

Sad no doubt but one thing I always look forward to is Xmas when I usually ask my dearest and nearest to give me vouchers that I can spend on a book or two if they are short of ideas. It's wonderful to spend hours in a good bookshop and choose 2-3 new books that you've wanted to read for a while but couldn't really afford to splash out on, but I must say that the book offers in Tescos are very tempting if not that many to choose from. 3 new hardbacks for £20 at the moment. 

1 hour ago, TheSage said:

I enjoyed the Danny Baker books and miss his Saturday morning show.

Billy Connolly's latest book is also very entertaining if you want some light reading.

Sad no doubt but one thing I always look forward to is Xmas when I usually ask my dearest and nearest to give me vouchers that I can spend on a book or two if they are short of ideas. It's wonderful to spend hours in a good bookshop and choose 2-3 new books that you've wanted to read for a while but couldn't really afford to splash out on, but I must say that the book offers in Tescos are very tempting if not that many to choose from. 3 new hardbacks for £20 at the moment. 

Ed always buys me loads of books at Christmas.  He's such a romantic that a couple of years ago he bought me a history of football tactics!!

• 2 weeks later...

We may have covered some of this ground above but if there's a book you'd recommend to buy this Xmas, what would would it be?

For light relief I'd say get hold of Tommy Cooper's autobiography by Ian Carroll. It's packed full of anecdotes and jokes and is hard to put down.

(For older posters Graham Rinaldi's book on Will Hay is detailed and quire good fun).

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just read  "Say Nothing; A true story of murder and memory in Northern Ireland" Very well written and researched about the Troubles. Also loved '7's Heaven" by Ben Ryan, the story of Fiji's Olympic 7 a side Rugby winning team. I'd also recommend "Churchill's Ungentlemanly War; the mavericks who plotted Hitler's downfall".....brilliant view of all the crazy, dirty tricks the Allies pulled.

Archived