onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Good Book Thread

Jacko51

Advert

About 40 years ago one of our neighbours was a lady who was captured by the Nazis while working for the Belgian resistance.She was sent to Ravensbruck concentration camp in Germany where she was operated and experimented on.The book about her is called Child War,The true story of Hortense Daman.I think it’s available on Amazon for a quid.Well worth a read.

About 40 years ago one of our neighbours was a lady who was captured by the Nazis while working for the Belgian resistance.She was sent to Ravensbruck concentration camp in Germany where she was operated and experimented on.The book about her is called Child War,The true story of Hortense Daman.I think it’s available on Amazon for a quid.Well worth a read.

Child at War.

Was that her maiden name? Seem to remember Hortense Clews. If I remember right was she just 15 years old when working for the resistance.

Was that her maiden name? Seem to remember Hortense Clews. If I remember right was she just 15 years old when working for the resistance.

It was Hortense Clewes,Conrad.She married Sid Clewes and had 2 children,Julie and Christopher.Daman was her maiden name.

Currently reading Sapiens...which is a bloody frustrating book, as there are leaps of faith; generalisations and "Where the Hell did that come from?" moments galore. On the whole - not a bad assessment of our history - except for all the above!

My goto reads are "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant The Unbeliever" - first two trilogies are some of the best fantasy I've ever read. The third trilogy...which somehow became four books, although the action would have fitted into two...is pretty much irrelevant until the final book tidies up all the loose ends, very neatly!

I have "The Tailor of Auschwitz" and "The Librarian..." ready for reading and have sworn to read all Shakespeare's works having seen very good film and TV adaptations of several of them.

Would you recommend Sapiens? Seems a bit weighty/heavy and I don't know if I could be bothered with it ahahah

Would you recommend Sapiens? Seems a bit weighty/heavy and I don't know if I could be bothered with it ahahah

With weighty/heavy books, Joe, the secret is to read them on a Kindle then you don't realise how weighty/heavy they are!

‘The Romanovs: 1613-1918,’ by Simon Sebag Montefiore‘ - very much a "kings and queens" approach to history which I don't like as a historical approach, but entertaining at the start and the early middle and at the very end. Gets a bit rambling post Catherine the Great. Proper door-stop of a book.

'In Montmartre - Sue Roe' - the shenanigans of Picasso et al in the early part of the twentieth century.

Ive read half so far, and enjoyed it. Got distracted by another book being released I was waiting a while for, but will go back to it. If you want a lighter ‘history’ of the world book then the Bill Bryson book is good.if you want a big of a laugh then the John o’Farrell books are entertaining.

Bill Bryson

I used to really like Bryson but I read his most recent book a couple of years ago and it was awful. Really jaded and sneery and lots of bits were recycled from his other books. Keep meaning to give his first 2 or 3 another read. First heard him on Radio 4's Book of the Week and, Partridge aside, I don't think I've ever laughed so much at the radio.

Archived