onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Good Book Thread

Jacko51

Advert

So here it is. What are you reading? Any good? Any recommendations from other books you've read?

AND ABSOLUTELY NO BLOODY POLITICS!!!!

"Heaven and Hell" by ex Eagles guitarist Don Felder. A real warts and all story of one of the greatest bands ever. A great read if you have an interest in the subject. Felder was a band member throughout the greatest years of the band and co-wrote Hotel California. Sex, drugs and rock and roll as well fights, law suits, break ups and reunions. His fellow band members were less than impressed with the book. Highly recommended!

Ploughing my way through A Song of Ice and Fire, now that the TV adaption has concluded. Heavy fantasy but great if you're into that stuff.

POLITICS KLAXON PLEASE DON'T SHARE YOUR POLITICAL OPINIONS I JUST LIKE THE BOOK: Yanis Varoufakis' 'Adults in the Room', detailing his negotiations with the financial institutions of the world when he was Finance Minister of Greece, is also captivating me (sorry about the politics Jean :shutup:)

Reading "21 lessons for the 21st century" by Yuval Noah Harari, the author of Sapiens. Heavy going in parts but also interesting. Basically a series of essays on why we are where we are as a species, the issues that we are faced with and how we are going to cope with them in the future.

Listening to "The spy and the traitor" by Ben MacIntyre. A biography of Soviet double agent Oleg Gordievsky. His book about Kim Philby "A spy among friends" is also excellent.

Travellers in the third reich by Julia boyd

Bit political so I'm sorry!

It's real accounts of visitors to germany between the wars. Basically showing how drip feeding propaganda to a country on its arse got the nazi party in.

It's a great read and scarily relevant

Ploughing my way through A Song of Ice and Fire, now that the TV adaption has concluded. Heavy fantasy but great if you're into that stuff.

Great set of books. Hopefully he will finish them.

I tend to devour only fantasy and sci-fi these days. The best in the genre for me is Brandon Sanderson. Loved everything he has written.

Tend to read more than anything else so too many books I love to mention, so will prob dip into the thread now and then.

A football book that was a good read, and links to a current thread, is ‘the numbers game: why everything you know about football is wrong’. Moneyball for football.

Got that for my mum not long ago,Conrad.She agreed with you.

So do I. Wonderful book. I’ve just read a couple of books about the 1930s - Appeasing Hitler by Tim Bouverie which is a wonderful account of the behaviour of our government towards Hitler - reads like a novel. Also Berlin 1936 which is a cleverly written day by day account of what was going on in Berlin

during the Olympics.

Just started Hush Hush by Mel Sherratt - a crime novel about a serial killer set in Stoke! Will let you know!

I've been reading a lot of Julia Donaldson books but that's because my 2 year old son seems to be obsessed with them. If he's not wanting the books reading to him, he's wanting me to make up new stories about the characters. "Daddy, tell me story about Gruffalo and Stickman on a boat."

When I get chance to read, I've been ploughing through some Cormac McCarthy. I really enjoyed The Road but the 2 I've read since have left me quite cold. He has a really annoying tendency to insert loads of Spanish dialogue in his novels and I'm not really sure why he does it. Authenticity I guess but it just takes me out of the moment and gets me wondering if I'm supposed to know what the characters are saying, or should I go and get the Spanish dictionary out.

As a break from that, I've started reading the autobiography of the one-time landlord of Britain's highest pub, the Tan Hill Inn. Well, not really an autobiography but the story of him taking the pub on. So far, it's really good and pretty funny. I like books set in that slightly murky era of the 1970s. Got a big recommendation from Gervase Phinn on the cover so you can predict the kind of book it is.

Also got a book called 'People Get Ready! Preparing for a Corbyn Government' by the economist Christine Berry on the bedside table but I guess I shouldn't really go in to that here.

Currently reading Sapiens...which is a bloody frustrating book, as there are leaps of faith; generalisations and "Where the Hell did that come from?" moments galore. On the whole - not a bad assessment of our history - except for all the above!

My goto reads are "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant The Unbeliever" - first two trilogies are some of the best fantasy I've ever read. The third trilogy...which somehow became four books, although the action would have fitted into two...is pretty much irrelevant until the final book tidies up all the loose ends, very neatly!

I have "The Tailor of Auschwitz" and "The Librarian..." ready for reading and have sworn to read all Shakespeare's works having seen very good film and TV adaptations of several of them.

Archived