onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Dean Smith

robf

Advert

I have a theory that the vast majority of successful managers were defenders or, even never played the game to a decent standard.

Ferguson, Mourinho, Paisley and Allardyce immediately come to mind without thinking too much.

I think why this may be the case, is due to the fact that “lesser” players realise how damn hard it is to play this game at a high standard, therefore understand the difficulties players have.

Alan Ball for example found the game so easy to play that it frustrated him to hell when players couldn’t control the ball. Others names like Bobby Moore, John Barnes etc fall into this catagory.

Just a theory, but I think it has legs.

Controversial! I'm not sure. We'll have to do a scientific survey to prove it.

Jack Charlton of course was a better manager than Bobby.

I don't think Arsene played at the top level or did he? Nor Sacchi. He was a salesman. Nor Herbert Chapman.

Lippi was a centre half.

Sir Alf a full back.

Your theory sounds good.

But-

Pep was a midfielder. Kaiser Franz too. And Zidane. And Del Busque.

Shankly was a wing half.

Clough a forward. And Rinus Michels

Ancelotti a midfielder again, as was Van Gaal.

Busby I think was another right half, but began as a forward.

Conclusion? Case unproven!

I have a theory that the vast majority of successful managers were defenders or, even never played the game to a decent standard.

Ferguson, Mourinho, Paisley and Allardyce immediately come to mind without thinking too much.

I think why this may be the case, is due to the fact that “lesser” players realise how damn hard it is to play this game at a high standard, therefore understand the difficulties players have.

Alan Ball for example found the game so easy to play that it frustrated him to hell when players couldn’t control the ball. Others names like Bobby Moore, John Barnes etc fall into this catagory.

Just a theory, but I think it has legs.

Neil Aspin and Dean Glover were both legendary defenders at our club. Both ***** managers.

Nice article - I'd forgotten he played for us at the end of his career. Rudgie had a habit of signing good pros with the right attitude and if we are to be successful in the near future, I think it is important to recruit that sort of player. Scott Brown is a shining example of a role model to the younger players. We need to have a dressing room that can look each other in the eye knowing they are all going their bit on and off the field. I'm fed up of hearing thinly veiled "rumours" of certain members of the squad being unprofessional between games. They need to leave and find another way - we need more Dean Smith types in the game. I hope he can do a Sean Dyche for Villa, speak his truth openly, and last more than the first part of the season. If they stay up and then get to push on in 2020-21, Dean Smith will be even more of a hero to the club. And if it doesn't work out for him, we could always save him a place on the Lorne Street car park....

As we could all come up with the odd name that either proves or dispels my theory, I thought I would look into it in a bit more detail.

As the Premier League is the much vaunted best league in the world, I think it would be fair to class these managers as a “success”. With this in mind, I looked into the 20 managers in the Premier at the start of 18/19 season. In no particular order, this is what I found.

Eddie Howe - lower league defender.

Mauricio Sarri - never played the game professionally.

Jose Mourinho - journeyman defender.

Roy Hodgson - never played league football.

Marco Silva - lower Portuguese league right back.

Rafa Benitez - a few games in Spanish lower leagues.

Unai Emery. Journeyman winger in Spanish lower leagues.

Neil Warnock - journeyman winger in lower leagues.

Juergen Klopp - converted defender for Mainz.

Claudio Ranieri - defender for “yo-yo” Italian clubs.

Sean Dyche - centre half in lower leagues.

Manuel Pellegrini - International centre half.

David Wagner - striker in Bundesliga.

Javi Gracia - striker in La Liga.

Chris Hughton - right back in England top tier.

Nuno Esprito Santo - top Portuguese ‘keeper.

Mauricio Pochettino - international centre half.

Pep Guardiola - top defensive midfielder.

Mark Hughes - top British striker.

Claude Puel - defensive midfielder for Monaco.

As my post said “defenders” or “not played at a decent standard”, the above means that at the start of the Premier League season 75% fell into this catagory if we include the one keeper as a defender. Indeed as Guardiola & Puel were defensive midfielders you could make a case for that figure rising to 85% !

Not exactly a scientific study, but maybe a thought provoking one.

It does generally seem defenders have a greater likelihood of bring managers. Make sense when you associate good defenders with organisation, presence and leadership. Goalkeepers are a bit isolated and different whereas strikers and wingers are seen as more self interested rather than being in the thick of it.

Archived