onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Berlin derby next season

TheSage

For those who you who have a passing interest in German football, there will be a top flight German derby next year, as Union Berlin have amazingly won promotion and will play Hertha next year. Should be two great games to watch.

Berlin is not a passionate footballing city but this might raise the stakes and boost interest.

Advert

Yes Sage I noticed that. I went to Berlin (fantastic city by the way) a few years ago and went to both Hertha’s Olympic Stadium & Union’s ground.

I always look how both are going on. Hertha as usual finished mid table ish, but Union got the better of Stuttgart in the relegation/promotion match.

You say that Berlin is “not a passionate footballing city”, but Hertha averaged 49,000 & Union 21,000 !Attendances in Germany are amazing. Dortmund averaged 80,000 and Cologne & Hamburg in Bundesliga 2 averaged 49,000 & 48,000 respectively !

A quick look at average attendances in the major European leagues makes interesting reading.

1st Germany 44,000.

2nd England 38,000

3rd Spain 27,000

4th Italy 24,000

5th France 22,000

I went to the Olympic stadium for a game during the 2006 World Cup and the other year on a weekend away I got the train down to Potsdam to watch Babelsberg 03.

I imagine there’s a lot of geopolitics involved in why Berlin isn’t a footballing hotbed but it’s an amazing city and I’d recommend it to anybody.

I've been to Berlin [and the Olympic Stadium maybe ten times] and we agree - it's fascinating.

But they seem always to be a yo-yo, up and down club and I don't think have won the league for close on 100 years.

They don't pay big money for players either and tend to be a selling club.

It's the capital of Germany and you might expect a team from the capital to be more successful.

It isn't as obsessed with football as the working class areas like Dortmund or Schalke, or Munich.

Their attendances are good (prices are cheaper in Germany) but the ground of course holds 73,000 so it's often 1/3 empty.

But at least they play in blue and white, as opposed to their (East German) rivals Union who play I think in red and white!

Sorry to go off topic, but anyone visiting Berlin MUST go into the Mauer exhibition.

You are effectively standing on the wall(Mauer) looking over “no man’s land” into East Berlin. After your eyes adjust to the panoramic view, you really think you are there ! With the German commentary it is extremely haunting.

However, the nearby “recreated” Checkpoint Charlie is extremely cheesy !

Sorry to digress !

Too many things to list that you really should see if you visit Berlin but top of my list is the Stasi museum, hidden away in a residential estate, away from prying eyes, in old East Berlin.

Do you know why they are called Hertha? It's because the founder of the Club had a boat named after his wife, Hertha.

You learn something every day. No need to thank me. :wink:

Too many things to list that you really should see if you visit Berlin but top of my list is the Stasi museum, hidden away in a residential estate, away from prying eyes, in old East Berlin.

Do you know why they are called Hertha? It's because the founder of the Club had a boat named after his wife, Hertha.

Good job her name wasn't Ann :laugh:

I went to the Stasi museum too, great few hours there although most of the information (and there's an awful lot) is only in German, they even put a movie on for us to watch depicting how people were coerced into working for them. A little like The Lives of Others.

I also went to the Olympic stadium, no game on as it was, I think, during the winter break but did go to see Tennis Borussia who were playing some right leaning side, not so many there but the away side's fans were completely nuts.

• 5 months later...

Union win yesterday’s first derby of the season as a late penalty earns the East Berlin side a 1-0 win over Hertha.

Neither side tearing up any tree’s in the Bundesliga though as a single point separates the two sides. Union (14th) and Hertha (11th) trail surprising pacesetters Borussia Monchengladbach by more than 10 points after 10 games.

Ex Celtic player Dedryck Boyata and Chelsea’s Salomon Kailua featured for Hertha.

Archived