onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Bury

robf

8 minutes ago, robf said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/09/27/human-cost-burys-demise-laid-bare-former-captain-stephen-dawson/

(I know it's behind a paywall but I was able to read this - I think non-subscribers can read one article a month - if so then I recommend this as your one for this month)

Its an awful situation for the players.

Shame Dawson hasn't got tied up as he is a decent player, maybe we could offer him a short term deal.

Advert

19 hours ago, valefan16 said:

It’s complicated, why does a team that have not played this season deserve an EFL spot over a team that has competed and financially soundly?

Pure and simply they don't . Just my opinion that's all.

Who knows the way the vote went but i'm surmising 71 votes?

36 for a majority. So let us assume all 24 clubs in our League voted no it would be intruiging to see who the other 12 were and why ?

The EFL have a massive case to answer about due diligence. And do you know what Bob Young who always gets dragged out when we have been in trouble is one of the people who came out of Port Vale ownership wranglings with no credit at all.

Young first diligently appointed The Invisible man, Keith Ryder and followed that with a bloke who thought Port Vale was a hotel. Albeit originally as a double act with Wildes.

The EFL and administration comapnies have proved to be inept as was the case with Dale at Bury.

Some great memories there for me as far back as Geoff Hunter and a certain Neville Southall in goal for us . The whole situation is terribly sad.

8 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

36 for a majority. So let us assume all 24 clubs in our League voted no it would be intruiging to see who the other 12 were and why ?

The EFL have a massive case to answer about due diligence. And do you know what Bob Young who always gets dragged out when we have been in trouble is one of the people who came out of Port Vale ownership wranglings with no credit at all.

Young first diligently appointed The Invisible man, Keith Ryder and followed that with a bloke who thought Port Vale was a hotel. Albeit originally as a double act with Wildes.

The EFL and administration comapnies have proved to be inept as was the case with Dale at Bury.

Some great memories there for me as far back as Geoff Hunter and a certain Neville Southall in goal for us . The whole situation is terribly sad.

We all loved Norman and Paul at the start and V2001 was the one the fans pushed for so its a difficult one. Keith Ryder well read Micky's book about that! Last time anyone saw him he met Micky in a service station with a bag of notes to pay for the trip to Ireland!

Apparently the press reported over 60 clubs were opposed to Bury... League One clubs are not happy about the farce the league became, just look at the various comments by the likes of Barton and the Accrington chairman. Bury are still not sold, have no ground prospects currently and no sign that even if admitted Bury would be in a position to take the place next season anyhow with the CVA, no income and no resolution as it stands.

49 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

There was no vote at yesterday's meeting.  There was a discussion about how to return the EFL to 72 clubs.  There appears to have been consensus to relegate only one club but this has not been officially endorsed by the league and has to go though a further process.

Colin Garlick spoke about the meeting at list night's SC meeting.

Just now, Jacko51 said:

There was no vote at yesterday's meeting.  There was a discussion about how to return the EFL to 72 clubs.  There appears to have been consensus to relegate only one club but this has not been officially endorsed by the league and has to go though a further process.

Colin Garlick spoke about the meeting at last night's SC meeting.

I feel sorry for the Bury fans. But it would have been an unprecedented step since the Premier League/Football League split in the early 90s to have let a club who had failed to fulfil their fixtures due to financial issues to stay in the football league (I know it happened before that point).

Bury would be better off as a phoenix club, starting again without Dale involved. Whilst it was Stewart Day who ultimately has to take responsibility for the years of overspending, having Dale running the club going forward is a disaster. Sometimes you have to say that the game is up, and it's time to start again. For the record, I would have no issues if we were in the same position as Bury and this was happening to us. This is just a direct response to this crazy situation we have where clubs are desperate to play above their level and get to the promised land of the Premier League. For whatever the rights or wrongs of what I'm about to write this is my opinion and I'm sticking to it. Two options will sort this out:

A) Let the top 6 sod off and get their European Super League dream. English football will regroup and move on, with less money but with more parity

B) Stop promotion to the Premier League. Have a 2 tier, 16-team Premier League 1 & 2. Entry to the Premier League will be through application rather than any other way. If you take away the possibility of getting to the top level, clubs will stop spending to get there.

Sadly, Bury won't be the last club to have this happen to them. It's just the first of many, and I'm just glad we weren't the first club to be destroyed due to irresponsible off the field management and catastrophic decision making.

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50132652

Stewart Day made £1 million for himself taking out a loan against the stadium on Burt's behalf.

Steve Dale didn't provide any evidence whatsoever in order to pass the fit and proper persons test.

The EFL say lessons will be learned i.e. there will no changes made, nobody will be punished and the exact same thing will happen to other clubs in years to come.

How can Jevans say he passed the Owners and Directors test when his record shows a history of taking over distressed companies and dissolving them?  Do they not check a bloke's business history before ticking the "Passed" box?  The EFL is about as much use in the governance of football as a chocolate fireguard.

• 2 weeks later...

However, the club say they believe they have continued to automatically pay tax on wages that would otherwise have been paid to staff, despite those wages not being paid.

Long ago, in the days of Roy of the Vale and when employed as a paymaster, not once was I required to submit Tax Due Returns for nil paid wages (my employers would most probably have nil paid me with a DCM - don't come Monday).

The quote above, in my opinion, seems to be nothing more than a furphy - something claimed to be factual to stall proceedings.

12 hours ago, robf said:

The 'Committee may have a point, but will the EFL take note?

The committee highlighted as a key flaw in the rules the ability of Steve Dale to buy the club for £1 in December without having passed the owners-and-directors test first.

Archived