onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Bury

robf

We've all seen this coming for a while - small club with small gates signing big name (high earning) players was never going to be sustainable. The same thing would happen at Salford/Mansfield/FGR if their wealthy owners stopped bankrolling.

It's the fans I feel sorry for though. It must be horrible for them to think their club could cease to exist.

Advert

We've all seen this coming for a while - small club with small gates signing big name (high earning) players was never going to be sustainable. The same thing would happen at Salford/Mansfield/FGR if their wealthy owners stopped bankrolling.

It's the fans I feel sorry for though. It must be horrible for them to think their club could cease to exist.

11 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Apparently the Bury situation was discussed at an EFL meeting today and how to prevent it happening.  One suggestion was a points deduction every month that players weren't paid.  That might concentrate the minds a bit.

Blimey, Macclesfield would be on quite a few negative points if that were to happen. 

While it's a fair suggestion I still think the bigger picture is how the FL manages the fit and proper person tests. I appreciate it's not a simple thing - after all it's tricky to stop someone who has paid out millions to buy a club acting like a basketcase - but it's surely time for the FL to at least consider what they can do to prevent dodgy/corrupt owners destroying clubs.

11 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Apparently the Bury situation was discussed at an EFL meeting today and how to prevent it happening.  One suggestion was a points deduction every month that players weren't paid.  That might concentrate the minds a bit.

On the face of it that sounds a good idea.

But generally these clubs have unscrupulous owners who don’t give two hoots about the football side of matters. They are purely in it for personal gain, so the docking of team points monthly may necessarily hurt the owner himself.

However this is not meant to “poo poo” the idea, but I just wonder how much influence this may have on owners whose only real interest is what goes into their back pocket.

I feel that more of a punishment should be placed on the owners themselves so any action taken affects them directly.

How you do that legally, I have no idea. But someone, somewhere will.

22 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

Issue with deductions is it is the fans and players who suffer not the owners and ultimately if teams get deducted points over everything then the league becomes less about the football ability.

Perhaps if the league had been more alert they would have acted earlier, with perhaps a closer monitoring system, and would have deducted the points last season. After all they competed unfairly against the other L2 teams, otherwise someone else would have been promoted. Of course it is the fans that suffer, close and prompt action could reduce unfair advantage, but ultimately fines, points deductions, relegation, or expulsion are the only  sanctions to keep more clubs from trying to act outside the rules. The owners of course should be punished, fines, banning from involvement in football, etc apart from any criminal activities with their own penalties..

17 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

Perhaps if the league had been more alert they would have acted earlier, with perhaps a closer monitoring system, and would have deducted the points last season. After all they competed unfairly against the other L2 teams, otherwise someone else would have been promoted. Of course it is the fans that suffer, close and prompt action could reduce unfair advantage, but ultimately fines, points deductions, relegation, or expulsion are the only  sanctions to keep more clubs from trying to act outside the rules. The owners of course should be punished, fines, banning from involvement in football, etc apart from any criminal activities with their own penalties..

All seems pointless, all that spending to go up when the very very best they can hope for is relegation back to League Two and more likely expulsion.

29 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

This is why it’s often a good idea to keep an eye on Companies House despite what some on here may think. 

Dont you think the crap that is the efl should do the same.

Efl dont care about anything but what is ok for them.

They cant even get the fixtures right, even though we have told them how to work it. I give up with them, they are no good end of.

The EFL should have enforced their laws properly in December last year when SD2 bought the club without approval.

I'm not sure what jurisdiction they had to intervene when SD1 was in charge and his student accomodation ponzi scheme was bankrolling the club. I genuinely don't know if more could have been done.

Funny how fans who ask awkward questions can be branded trouble makers, yet those that don't still get criticized if things go wrong.

33 minutes ago, Properman said:

Dont you think the crap that is the efl should do the same.

Efl dont care about anything but what is ok for them.

They cant even get the fixtures right, even though we have told them how to work it. I give up with them, they are no good end of.

The problem with the EFl as it is currently run is that any changes in the rules of ownership have to be agree by the members - ie the clubs.  Some chairman will not vote for anything that stops them ripping off their clubs.

6 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

Vale fans have successfully mobilised and riddled our club of two detrimental regimes in the last decade.  It's been a long, hard struggle at times.  I am confident that if our new owners suddenly started offering 5k a week salaries and started talking about building new stadiums that a significant number of our fans would be asking some very shrewd questions very publicly.

Indeed they would and have - only to be criticised by other fans for doing so.

Archived