onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

May on the way??

Jacko51

Just now, Regal Beagle said:

You've not been concerned with facts before now, what has changed?

Leaving in name only.

In practice we would still be trapped by all the negative points that motivated people to vote to regain our sovereignty.

How have I not been concerned with facts before!?

Leaving in name is leaving. How is May's deal specifically with evidence not regaining sovereignty? Have you actually read the withdrawal agreement? 

With any deal (including no deal) there is going to have to be compromise and trade offs, not all leave voters voted for the same issue, immigration was a big reason to leave and that could increase with a no deal brexit. 

Advert

3 minutes ago, ginge said:

I clicked both links. The Independent one is quite wishy washy but does outline some positives (although minimal and there's little evidence that we'll lose these benefits completely if we leave).

The first link is a horrendous list of garbage. I stopped readying after the first 5 were complete rubbish:

1. Membership of the world’s largest trading bloc with over 500 million consumers, representing 23% of global GDP

2. The UK has greater global influence as a member of the EU

3. The EU provides a counterweight to the global power of the US, Russia and China

4. With Trump in the White House the UK’s strongest natural allies are France, Germany and our other West European neighbours

5. Tariff-free trade within the EU

1. What about the 77% of global GDP? I know remainers struggle with what percentages are bigger than others, but 77% is bigger than 23%.

2. Really? is that quantifiable? What if we disagree with the way that the EU chooses to implement its influence? Ginge has already admitted that there is little we can do against 27 other countries.

3. As it will when we leave.

4. Is this just another vague anti-trump dig? We should be working hard to increase our relationship with USA and Trump will play a very big part of that. He's certainly a bigger ally of the UK than Obama was.

5. Free, for a "small" monthly fee, oh and you have to sign over your sovereignty, oh and we want exclusivity with your trade deal, we don't want you going off and signing a deal with anyone else. But yeah, it is definitely free.

21 minutes ago, Regal Beagle said:

maybe a remainer should tell me why the EU is so great for once?

I have not heard one single tangible benefit for me that leaving will have. How is it going to make mine or yours or any other everyday persons life any better off?

7 minutes ago, ginge said:

How have I not been concerned with facts before!?

Leaving in name is leaving. How is May's deal specifically with evidence not regaining sovereignty? Have you actually read the withdrawal agreement? 

With any deal (including no deal) there is going to have to be compromise and trade offs, not all leave voters voted for the same issue, immigration was a big reason to leave and that could increase with a no deal brexit.  

It keeps the UK in the customs union meaning that we cannot set our own tarrifs on goods which enter the union. There's one.

Immigration could increase or it could decrease. Immigration is a UK issue that should be decided upon by General Elections. Like every UK issue it should be decided upon in the UK by our Government.

Just now, Regal Beagle said:

Well we would be outside of the EU. That's pretty tangible.

That's not a benefit though. That's an action. Just saying we're outside the EU isn't going to make our lives better. Give me one single tangible benefit that leaving will have on mine or yours or any other everyday persons life. 

5 minutes ago, Regal Beagle said:

It keeps the UK in the customs union meaning that we cannot set our own tarrifs on goods which enter the union. There's one.

Immigration could increase or it could decrease. Immigration is a UK issue that should be decided upon by General Elections. Like every UK issue it should be decided upon in the UK by our Government.

Her deal doesn't guarantee remaining in a customs union. Also that wouldn't be a bad thing. A WTO brexit would lead to higher tariffs and long checks at borders. Without mutual recognition of standards UK businesses may have to produce two products. 

44 minutes ago, Regal Beagle said:

You've not been concerned with facts before now, what has changed?

Leaving in name only.

In practice we would still be trapped by all the negative points that motivated people to vote to regain our sovereignty.

Interesting comments form Gordon Brown the other day, he said leaving the EU with no deal would be an absolute disaster for the U.K., what concerned him was the people calling for a No deal as a patriotic move to restore our sovereignty. Patriotism was  used with the Europeans in WW2. Not the stupid way Brexiteers are slinging it around.

Archived