onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

May on the way??

Jacko51

1 hour ago, Fosse69 said:

I thought Ambassadors were the highest level of diplomat, the US post being the top job, and selected by the UK. It is Trump that is the problem, do we have this sort of thing with Putin? . A diplomat`s job is to feed back the situation to the Govt not what the local chief tells him to.  GCHQ are responsible for comms security at high level. I am sure that most secure phone calls would be recorded also as evidence. 

The person to blame is the person who leaked it.... the ambassador was an ass for recording his comments..... he could have easily attributed the comments elsewhere..... CNN or some other media are reporting etc etc..... which they are..... as a diplomat he wasn't very diplomatic.

I'm not saying he isn't correct...... just bloody foolish.

Advert

2 hours ago, Fosse69 said:

A diplomat`s job is to feed back the situation to the Govt not what the local chief tells him to. 

Exactly so.  Anyone who is blaming Sir Kim Darroch for simply doing his job is mad - like that idiot Richard Tice on Newsnight last night - and doesn't understand the role of an ambassador. 

Darroch has the right to expect that his communications will be secure.  The UK government has the right to expect that they will be given honest opinions, without fear or favour, by their ambassador.  Much of what Darroch reported had been told to him by White House insiders and I very much suspect there are many ambassadors to the US from around the world who have reported exactly the same thing.

There should be an investigation into how and more importantly, why, this leak occured and if it was politcally motivated those responsible should have their wedding tackle removed.

Exactly Geo, The UK ambassador was not being very diplomatic, he was being stupid, naive and most likely let his own personal political persuasion get the better of him. Are all diplomats awarded the title of "Sir" or is it just the most incompetent.

2 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

Exactly Geo, The UK ambassador was not being very diplomatic, he was being stupid, naive and most likely let his own personal political persuasion get the better of him. Are all diplomats awarded the title of "Sir" or is it just the most incompetent.

I think the stupidest thing he did was to assume the communications would not be leaked..... they shouldn't have been...... but neither should all the other leaks that happened.

8 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

You could say that if you were in the habit of talking rubbish, which you're not.

Although it was tongue in cheek I wouldn't doubt the accuracy.... I'm the only dictator..... err member.... I vote for me.... none against..... I'm in.... the 3 immigrant cleaners in the village hall don't get a vote..... unanimous then.

16 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

Are you saying you don't want an ambassador to tell the truth?  Are you saying any diplomat should not tell the truth in case his communications are leaked?  And can anyone tell me why exactly these cables, some from 2017, were actually leaked at this precise time??

7 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Are you saying you don't want an ambassador to tell the truth?  Are you saying any diplomat should not tell the truth in case his communications are leaked?  And can anyone tell me why exactly these cables, some from 2017, were actually leaked at this precise time??

Why?..... not a clue Jean. ..... I could guess.

Given all the leaks over the past few years I would suggest it prudent to assume nothing is safe.... especially when there is serious unrest in the home country

5 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Definition of a Diplomat, "A person who can deal with people in a sensitive and effective way", The UK Ambassador clearly failed.

For a Senior Diplomat to communicate negative opinions in writing which can be directly trackable to him is naive at best, if he wishes to say such things to Trump then tell him to his face in private and communicate to his colleagues in the UK in private.

Trump appears a difficult person to work with but is it the job of the UK Ambassador so write negative things or is it the his job to deal with Trump effectively for the benefit of the UK, I would suggest the latter.

Could Sir "What ever his name is" have p**'d other people off in the UK diplomatic service which led to the leaks, anyone's guess.

52 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

Definition of a Diplomat, "A person who can deal with people in a sensitive and effective way", The UK Ambassador clearly failed.

For a Senior Diplomat to communicate negative opinions in writing which can be directly trackable to him is naive at best, if he wishes to say such things to Trump then tell him to his face in private and communicate to his colleagues in the UK in private.

Trump appears a difficult person to work with but is it the job of the UK Ambassador so write negative things or is it the his job to deal with Trump effectively for the benefit of the UK, I would suggest the latter.

Could Sir "What ever his name is" have p**'d other people off in the UK diplomatic service which led to the leaks, anyone's guess.

When was he not diplomatic? Did Trump ever complain before the secret, or  " on a need to know basis " situation report was leaked. I assume by a politician as I would expect officials at that level to be above reproach. Mind you it doesn't help with all the hangers on around the cabinet office. As an ambassador not his job to fall out with Trump, that would be the PM as an equal rank. Not just an isolated report but several over the years.

Archived