onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Checkatrade boycott

So , boycott or not?

People should spend their money how they wish. It makes money for the club so it's better to have than not. The spirit of football and all 92 clubs being in some way equal died 20 plus years ago and running a boycott to bring it back isn't going to change a thing.

Advert

Our squad needs to play competitive games. This competition allows that. Also, we have won it, and could do so again with luck. So just have to tolerate the downsides. Stoke got thrown out because they are not a PL side, so there is an attempt to only invite the most credible U21 sides.

Never agree with anything you say on here but this is spot on.

I still can't get my head around the fact 4000 Vale fans degraded themselves by attending that Stoke U12 fixture. Imagine the message it would've sent out to everyone if we had sold ZERO tickets and they turned up with 4000. That would've really started the debate and highlighted the attitude of lower league fans towards this B Team Trojan Horse.

Instead, it'll go down in history as our highest attendance of the season. Nice one, guys.

I did not degrade myself, I went to support my club and I shall do so again this season. If you don't want to go then that's fine, but please don't use such over the top language.

No boycotting. Remember every penny you spend now goes into the club, not Smurf’s pockets

The EFL need boycotting and the most effective way to do that it end any Sky Sports subscriptions and don’t buy tickets to any Wembley finals as they get lots of money from those.

Of course, nobody would ever do that.

Nobody really boycotted the games on moral principle. They were poorly attended because they were unattractive games.

Case in point, our highest attendance was V Stoke in the same comp.

I do not attend the Checkatrade games, partly because of the Under 21 teams being involved in the competition but mainly because I live away from the Potteries and cannot be bothered to come up to the Vale for what are, in the main, reserve team outings.

However, nobody ever mentions boycotting EFL (Carabao) Cup games even though Premier League clubs take part (and nearly always win it) and they are not members of the EFL as far as I am aware.

Double standards maybe!

I do not attend the Checkatrade games, partly because of the Under 21 teams being involved in the competition but mainly because I live away from the Potteries and cannot be bothered to come up to the Vale for what are, in the main, reserve team outings.

However, nobody ever mentions boycotting EFL (Carabao) Cup games even though Premier League clubs take part (and nearly always win it) and they are not members of the EFL as far as I am aware.

Double standards maybe!

Maybe Phil, but Prem sides are obliged to put out a certain number of first team players these days aren't they? Not like when Man U came to town and we had to watch nonentities like Paul Scholes.

Maybe Phil, but Prem sides are obliged to put out a certain number of first team players these days aren't they? Not like when Man U came to town and we had to watch nonentities like Paul Scholes.

My point was that Man Utd, for example, are not members of the EFL but they see fit to enter the competition as they might win it plus get a load of money. Why don’t the fans of the 72 EFL clubs boycott that competition.

I personally have been to all of the Checkatrade Trophy games since the format changed in 2016. Couple of reasons for this, however the main reason for me is that Saturday games are generally difficult for me to attend, due to work and family commitments, and I'm sure that there are people who are in similar circumstances that feel as though it is sometimes easier for them to get to midweek games. I manage to get to around 15-20 games a season so a half decent run in the competition, like last season, means I can attend more games.

The flip side of this is supporting a competition that allows U21 teams inclusion, at the behest of a sponsor. If we think back to when the format changed, EFL chair's were effectively told that the sponsorship of the competition from certain sponsors was dependent on a change in format, to make the competition more "exciting". Am I against the inclusion of U21 or B teams? Not 100% against the idea in principal, however I would prefer more of those youngsters getting a chance to go out on loan and learn their trade down the ladder. Am I against the inclusion of U21 or B teams because a potential sponsor says they have to be included? Definitely! This is the element that is of the greatest concern to me, the competition changing at the behest of anyone who is not the governing body of the competition is wrong. Which is why it was pleasing that the final last was between two EFL clubs from League One.

Is there value in the competition for Vale? Certainly, we had a good run in the competition last year, and I personally think that any of the 48 clubs from League One and League Two could potentially win the competition, with the right draw and team selection on a game by game basis (e.g. can't see someone like Sunderland, Portsmouth, Bolton Wanderers going full strength until the semi's etc.). It also gives the opportunity to players who don't play regularly to get more game time, fitting into our system without too much disruption, as only a certain number of changes are allowed. From a scouting point of view, its an opportunity for our recruitment staff and analysts (John Rudge, Dan Thompson etc.) to take a look at fringe players from other clubs and U21 players at first hand, if we are to have a look at recruitment in a January window for example.

As much as I like to see the positives, and I have to considering I go to these games, I understand there are plenty of negatives, namely the biggest that I mentioned. However, I don't think that there will be change in the competition anytime soon, so from that point of view I have to accept the competition as it is (god that statement is going to get me some grief!) but would hope that eventually the competition would revert to just those from League One and League Two.

Just wanted to try and offer a balanced reason as to why some supporters would regularly attend these games.

The boycot failed. It was always going to. The power of lower league fans is nothing compared to the power of the Premier League. But the boycot showed the fans aren't going to be pushovers, even if lower league owners are. So it was still worth doing.

Everyone has the right to attend or not and that's their decision. I've said before that I used to go these games but have not and will not attend any games while the league allows Under 21 teams to compete in it. To me it's the first step to the eventual inclusion of these teams in the Football League which would be a disaster for us. To say that a boycott has failed is premature because the FL got lucky in that arguably the two biggest teams in the competition played in the Final. More telling was the number of attendances below 1000 in the early stages of the competition where many clubs registered their lowest ever first team crowds. Boycotts will take time because the Football League will never admit they were wrong straightaway and I will continue to vote with my feet until the trophy is reverted back to it's previous format.

Archived