onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

2019 Cricket - World Cup, Ashes, Pakistan ODI series etc

robf

2 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

At the end of the day Australia had the one class batsman in either team  and the Aussie bowling attack was better than England's hence the result of the Ashes series.

I'm unsure if taking the captaincy off Root will solve any problems 'cause it won't shore up the technical deficiencies of some of England's batsmen and make the bowlers more threatening although it would allow Root to concentrate on his batting more.  Shane Warne during commentary was talking about if one day cricket is responsible for the lack of technically correct, test class batsmen. His view appeared to be that it wasn't anything to do with one day cricket and he put some of it down to how the batsmen practice these days, he said they use more practice aids which don't simulate a bowler bowling.

At the end of the day we need the players with the required talent and temperament who are better than what other countries have.

Cricket is the one sport where a captain can affect the game by decisions and leadership alone.

Although I personally didn’t like Mike Brearley, he is a shining example of how a captain by leadership and man management alone can influence a game. He contributed little with the bat (even as a batsman) but his influence as a captain was immeasurable. 

I well remember an interview with a then young Norman Cowans when he told a story about Brearley during his debut match. Cowans said that he was fielding in some insignificant position in the match when England were struggling. Apparently Brearley marched up to Cowans , a debutant, and asked him what he thought he should do to change the way the game was going.

After that, Cowans said he would have run through a brick wall for Brearley, simply because he sought the advice of him as a debutante. It was all bull of course, but Norman said it made him feel part of the team, rather than someone just making up the numbers. 

The art of captaincy seems to have been forgotten. Root, if he ever even knew, has most certainly forgotten it. 

Advert

RR, I remember the Brealey debate well but I was on the side of pick the team then pick the captain, the way the Aussies do. Most of the time England were playing with 10 men when Brearley was in the side but England had players to make up for his deficiencies as a batsmen, Gower, Botham, Gatting (?) and Bob Willis.

Who would you appoint captain in place of Root?

Can’t believe we’ve gone with the same squad again. For me we’ve been outplayed every game other than at lords in every department. The main difference is obviously smith but out batting has been appalling at times. Stokes should be captain for me. Roots batting seems to have gone drastically down hill since taking over. Would have had sibley, Crawley, pope and foakes all down to play at the oval. 

4 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

RR, I remember the Brealey debate well but I was on the side of pick the team then pick the captain, the way the Aussies do. Most of the time England were playing with 10 men when Brearley was in the side but England had players to make up for his deficiencies as a batsmen, Gower, Botham, Gatting (?) and Bob Willis.

Who would you appoint captain in place of Root?

Funnily enough Paul I also didn’t think that Brearley was worth his place during his first spell as captain. 

But when he replaced Botham mid series in ‘81, that decision (with a bit of help from Botham & Willis !) changed the whole complex of what remained of that Ashes series.

I don’t necessarily think that a captain should be appointed purely for his leadership, but more thought needs to go into who has the nous for the position rather than just giving it to the perceived best player.

I don’t know who would be the best choice as captain, as you need to know the player personally to have some idea of his capabilities. But with Bayliss’ departure also, a change all round is what is required.

• 2 months later...

Captain Root and the England XI as a whole confirmed their ineptitude in a poor, poor display in the 1st test in NZ.

Root’s captaincy continues to mystify and batsmen continue to find new, but equally appalling, ways to get dismissed. Buttler’s non stroke bowled dismissal was staggering !

I really don’t see where we go from here with the current captain. His leadership is flaky to say the least, which now seems to be affecting his limited time at the crease.

NZ are not a great team. Neither is  this the sub continent where the abrasive turning wickets are usually cited as the excuse for defeat. 

This was a poor performance and an even worse defeat. No positives can be taken in any way shape or form from this abject display.

But no doubt the captain and the ECB will find some. 

I personally think we have no chance in Australia as the wickets there suit extreme pace and the Aussies have a world-class quartet of them (with a couple more in reserve) wheras we have one.

I do think Root is NOT the answer as captain but I struggle to see who should replace him. Stokes would be an inspirational figure but would it diminish his game by asking him to produce never say die batting displays, to bowl and to captain. 

I simply can't understand the England's side make-up. I would say Foakes is the best wicketkeeper so I've no idea why if Bairstow was dropped that the gloves should go to Buttler. I can't understand why they dropped Leach to play two very similar fast-mediums in Curran+Woakes. Leach has done really well and dropping after one poor match smacks of the panic decisions of the 80's.

I'm pleased to see we seem to have settled on an opening partnership and that Denly is doing well at three. That side of things at least looks better but without a good captain we are going to struggle. 

Not going great in the second test either, after putting them in. Fairly even but we need to win the game.

I thought the selectors did well last winter in Sri Lanka when they seemed to pick exactly the right team for the conditions, with two spinners, but what's going on in this test? Pope as WK and no spinner. I'm bemused.  Did we not take a reserve WK? I can't remember.

Archer? What has happened to him? Broad manfully does his fair share always but we desperately need others to step up to the plate.

Nice grounds to watch cricket by the looks of it.

• 1 month later...

Blimey we got to lunch without losing a wicket. I know it's a flat deck but still...

I've seen a stat that says that is the first time England have been no wickets down at lunch on day one since the days of Strauss and Cook opening.

On 16/01/2020 at 10:10, robf said:

Blimey we got to lunch without losing a wicket. I know it's a flat deck but still...

I've seen a stat that says that is the first time England have been no wickets down at lunch on day one since the days of Strauss and Cook opening.

And we did it two days in a row!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived