onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

2019 Cricket - World Cup, Ashes, Pakistan ODI series etc

robf

Advert

Another wretched day in the field for England. 

Dropped catches, one of the few caught was a no ball and the convicts no.’s 9&10 putting on an unbeaten 59 before Paine had seen enough and declared. Superman Stokes gets hit to all corners and goes for 6 an over.

Root had so little idea what to do that only Burns, Roy, Butler & wicketkeeper Bairstow didn’t bowl.

Another masterclass of incompetency from Root & Co. The only hope of saving this test and The Ashes now rests with our ever hopeful friend, the Manchester weather. 

Root has to be replaced. No idea’s, no leadership, no nothing. 

19 minutes ago, RailwayRowdy said:

Firstly, take the catches he gives you when they finally come your way and when you do catch him, don’t no “no ball”

That would be a start. 

Easy peasy. Why has no one thought of that?  He had already got 118 before the no ball so another plan might help. 

12 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Easy peasy. Why has no one thought of that?  He had already got 118 before the no ball so another plan might help. 

The simple point I am trying to make is that England should have had Smith out on 65 with Archer’s dropped catch (although admittedly tough chance) and again but for Leach’s no ball. 

When faced with someone of Smith’s class you have to take these opportunities as they come around only too rarely. You can lay all  kinds of elaborate plans for him, but if you then don’t execute the dismissal it counts for little. Smith is hard enough to get out once without giving him two lifelines.

How you plan to get him out is up to the coach and captain. But letting these fleecing golden, yet basic, opportunities slip through your hands isn’t going to help.

I agree about Root’s leadership. He doesn’t seem to inspire. The weather has played a big part with our bowling, it’s not great playing in those conditions but doesn’t explain simple things like the no ball. That really was school boy. Jofra didn’t seem interested and just turned his arm over. Gone was the zip previously shown. Why? Weather? Tired? 

As for getting Smith. He’s known for his weakness towards spin, and we know he doesn’t like it at his head, so we should play to our strengths a bit rather than his. 

I have to say that Smith is something else. 

I felt he deserved to take the hit for the sandpaper-gate incident. At the time the Aussies were out of control and he was like a giggling, immature schoolboy at the head of it all. He should have been an example, not egging them on. He deserved all the criticism that followed, including the booing.

However, you just have to take your hat off to him. To get through all that and to be not just a world class player but a clear notch above the likes of Root, Kohli, Williamson is something else. To do it with a bizarre, quirky technique is something else. To do it in another country is something else. To come back from being whacked on the head and do it is something else. 

Without him, I am still convinced England would win the series but with him there I think he may win it for them single-handedly - and that is an astonishing achievement, no matter what you think about his character.

Love him or hate him Smith is a tremendous batsman, not  classical or technically correct but he must have incredible hand, eye, feet co-ordination. To me he appears to get too square on at the crease but manages to get the bat going perfectly through the line of the ball. To come back and score a double hundred after what happened at Headingley is testament to his application and determination.

I agree Rob, he's the difference between the Aussies retaining the Ashes and not.

Crunch day today I think...

It seems with England it's two extremes so it's either going to be 250 all out and the follow-on - or comfortably passing 298 with no problems from the bowling. 

It's going to be a big day for Jos Buttler too, I think. Not sure that England can persist with Buttler and Roy in the side and one, perhaps even both, may need swapping out.

I can't understand why England don't tell Bairstow he's a batsman (like he is with success in the World Cup winning ODI side) and bring in Foakes, who to me is more of a Test batsman than Roy or Buttler. 

OK, so as has seemed quite predictable since the 1st test, The Ashes have gone. Where do we go from here ?

Anyone who reads my posts will know that, as a captain, I am no fan of Root. But clearly his poor leadership is only a part of the problem.

What are other people’s view of the overall problems and how do we begin to put this right ?

At the end of the day Australia had the one class batsman in either team  and the Aussie bowling attack was better than England's hence the result of the Ashes series.

I'm unsure if taking the captaincy off Root will solve any problems 'cause it won't shore up the technical deficiencies of some of England's batsmen and make the bowlers more threatening although it would allow Root to concentrate on his batting more.  Shane Warne during commentary was talking about if one day cricket is responsible for the lack of technically correct, test class batsmen. His view appeared to be that it wasn't anything to do with one day cricket and he put some of it down to how the batsmen practice these days, he said they use more practice aids which don't simulate a bowler bowling.

At the end of the day we need the players with the required talent and temperament who are better than what other countries have.

Archived