onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

2019 Cricket - World Cup, Ashes, Pakistan ODI series etc

robf

Advert

Ive said it before on these pages and I’ll say it again. When is Root’s  captaincy and leadership going to be called into question ?

After the 1st test debacle I called for his removal as captain. Today’s calamitous performance only confirms my views.

I realise that technically he is only an eleventh of the problem but as captain he has to lead, something he seems sadly incapable off,

We have been systematically dismantled by an average, at best, touring antipodean side minus their talisman Smith !

Whatever you think of the convicts, 90% of the time when the Ashes come around they are up for it. The same cannot be said about ourselves.

Especially under Root’s appalling captaincy. 

Root could do better. I agree. But pressure does some funny things to people!

For me our problem can be summed up in a word - batting. You won't win a 5 day test unless you can regularly score over 300 runs, at least.

Our bowlers have done well and that's minus Anderson. Curran is also decent. And we've found Archer. That isn't a problem, really. It's our batting line up that has been found wanting.

The middle order used to save us but that's no longer the case. Most of them play one day cricket in a five day test match. They've been coached to play like that. It's their natural instinct.

There was a fascinating tea time discussion yesterday on the radio between Cook, Vaughan and Boycott, all players who could build an innings and leave balls wide of the stumps. Players who took delight in being 30 not out at lunch having faced 75 dot balls. But we don't seem to have any players like this now. Remember Trott at 3. And Bell had a sound technique. Now we've got a team of bish, bash, boomers who chase wide balls, swish at balls that are nowhere near the stumps and think it's criminal if they play a dot ball. It's mentality and coaching and technique.

All we can do is to identify the best young batsmen around and give them the best coaching that money can buy. Perhaps some of these proven cricketers can swap their Sky box for the nets and give these lads some advice and coaching.

But we're introducing another limited overs competition next year so there's no sign of anything improving anytime soon.

What young players are out there worth considering for the long term? Who plays for the Lions? But as I said before, the fixtures and whole season are is planned for the one day game. It's hard for batsmen to get enough practice on good pitches. Archer had to play for his 2nd XI the other week, just to get a game. It needs looking at. Or do we forget test cricket and simply play with a white ball?

We have been hoist by our own petard as we ordered the batch of Dukes ball that we are using with a bigger seam than they now use in county cricket. This has enabled our bowlers to take Aussie wickets but our fragile batting that has been concentrating on fancy shots against the non moving white ball can`t cope.

The lack of a working opening partnership is costing us dear and exposing our fancy dan middle order too early. Having said that the Aussie bowling has been excellent in this game in their plans and execution and I would guess our old nemesis Steve Waugh would have a lot to do with that, the wily old fox. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived