onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

2019 Cricket - World Cup, Ashes, Pakistan ODI series etc

robf

Where do I start ?

After having the convicts at 122/8 in the 2nd session of the series and to then lose by 250 odd runs is unbelievable and, more importantly, unacceptable.. Root’s inept leadership and captaincy is nearly matched by his Australian counterpart. Has there ever been an Ashes series with two such poor captains in opposition ?

I personally think that it’s getting near to the point where Root needs to be replaced mid series, like Botham in the early 80’s,

Also, although Lyon is no duffer, he certainly isn’t a Warne who should trouble you to any great degree. He doesn’t spin the ball prodigiously, yet somehow 6 home players manage to lose their wickets’ to him.

The Ashes have gone in one afternoon and what is more despairing is that they are an average touring side, with just one exceptional exception.

Whilst the XI has a whole has failed, Root has to go. No leadership, no inventive field placing, no pro active thoughts, nothing.

A new and inspiring captain is required. Who that is, I don’t know. But I do know that it shouldn’t be Root.

Advert

That's a bit unfair on Lyon who is a better spin bowler than anyone we've got and has got a hatful of test wickets. They also have Starc, Marsh and Aizlewood in the wings, as well as the option of dropping Paine (for Wade or Carey). Make no mistake, with Starc back they'll be even more formidable. 

I think our problem is that we've put all our eggs in one basket - the world cup - and red ball cricket has taken a back seat. Far too many of our lads have not been educated in the 4-5 day game and recklessly give away their wicket. Technique leaves a lot to be desired. And the cupboard looks bare at the minute, in terms of batting.

Archer will come under consideration. Curran and Leach too. But I doubt they'll change much for Lords. 

Simple. We have to prepare a green wicket and hope the ball moves laterally or we could easily lose again. 

I agree. It was very disappointing (to say the least)  after doing so well in the first session. But losing our best bowler meant it was always going to be very very hard.

10 hours ago, cheshirevaliant said:

I think I read that Woakes didn't bowl much because they wanted to "share the workload". Although it's arguable how much they are sharing the workload if one of the 2 blokes who was excellent in the first innings only bowls 13 out of 112 overs and none before lunch when the game is in the balance. 

Someone who was at the game all five days told me yesterday that Woakes had been fidgetting with his shoulder when fielding so she thought he was probably injured.  No other explanation makes sense.

5 hours ago, TheSage said:

That's a bit unfair on Lyon who is a better spin bowler than anyone we've got and has got a hatful of test wickets. They also have Starc, Marsh and Aizlewood in the wings, as well as the option of dropping Paine (for Wade or Carey). Make no mistake, with Starc back they'll be even more formidable. 

I think our problem is that we've put all our eggs in one basket - the world cup - and red ball cricket has taken a back seat. Far too many of our lads have not been educated in the 4-5 day game and recklessly give away their wicket. Technique leaves a lot to be desired. And the cupboard looks bare at the minute, in terms of batting.

Archer will come under consideration. Curran and Leach too. But I doubt they'll change much for Lords. 

Simple. We have to prepare a green wicket and hope the ball moves laterally or we could easily lose again. 

I agree. It was very disappointing (to say the least)  after doing so well in the first session. But losing our best bowler meant it was always going to be very very hard.

Lyon is underrated in England. He gets a lot of drift and overspin, which allows less lateral movement to become more valuable. Amazing to think that a few years ago he was the groundsman/net bowler in South Australia, his development is really a testament to hard work.

I wouldn't worry too much about either of the Marsh's, both of whom are flat track bullies. Starc and Hazelwood however, are both formidable replacements if any of the quicks break down. I don't think that a green top would necessarily make a difference Sage, given the technical deficiencies of our batsmen and the quality of their bowling attack. Paine will not be dropped - Wade's keeping is not really up to scratch for Tests and he's in for his batting only while Carey might be more of the long term option once they can give the captaincy back to Smith.

Conversely, I don't look at our side, or their backups with any great confidence. Without wanting to overreact or be typically defeatist about English cricket, you are right in that there are so many issues to address. I love watching Roy bat, but why is he in the Test team? It's embarrassing watching him score at a strike rate of 20, knowing he is trying to be cautious and conservative because if he gives his wicket away, he will get pilloried. If he is in the side, surely he needs to be a Warner type counterpuncher at the top of the order (incidentally, what will happen once they get a good start! Bancroft has been playing in England and Warner is surely too good to fail all series...)

I think Curren would be a good addition if we can also add pace to complement his lack of it - he's a change of angle as a leftie, plus he scores quickly when batting so would add a little zest. For all the talk of the talent in the middle order, yesterday was entirely predictable; we always get rolled when having to bat for a draw, because we eschew natural positivity for being too defensive, get stuck in a rut, then get undone by either frustration, or a decent ball. By being positive and putting a bit more pressure back on the bowlers, I always think you are in a better mindset, and less likely to get out. At the end of the day, what can you do if you get an unplayable ball whatever the scenario.

All in all, worrying signs. I don't think there is much between the 2 teams to be perfectly honest, but we need to recover quickly from such a poor start.

Isn't it the case that Roy doesn't open for Surrey in red ball games?  Would he not be better batting at four or five so that he can (hopefully) take advantage of a solid start rather that be expected to make the solid start?  The problem then is, who else is there who can open the batting?  Come back Alastair!

Regardless of this series, I think we do need to look at what we are doing and where we are going with county/test match cricket. The season began early this year and it's hard to find form on early season, damp wickets and then switch into one day mode for the World Cup. Very few top order batsmen are in a prime form. But is that because of the way we've planned the fixtures, the fact that they've been brought up on a limited overs diet, or are they just not quite good enough yet and we can but hope that the wheel of fortune turns in our favour soon?

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/08/2019 at 11:14, Jacko51 said:

Isn't it the case that Roy doesn't open for Surrey in red ball games?  Would he not be better batting at four or five so that he can (hopefully) take advantage of a solid start rather that be expected to make the solid start?  The problem then is, who else is there who can open the batting?  Come back Alastair!

I think there's multiple problems -

• Roy doesn't open for Surrey and he's opening for England
  • Root doesn't like number three - he's coming in at three
  • Denly rarely plays at four - he's coming in at four
  • Buttler is bang out of form
  • The middle trio of Bairstow, Buttler and Stokes are all flair players and on bad days can collapse like a house of cards *
  • Australia have a run machine who is winning the Ashes single-handed

* Admittedly Stokes has been more resilient recently

My goodness, that was some seriously quick bowling from Archer. 

I know it's legitimate and Cummins was giving it some yesterday but I don't like to see batsmen retire hurt because they've been hit with the ball.

Was it Statham who said, "If they miss, I hit"? I'd rather see the stumps flying myself.

A pulsating day ahead. Probably a draw but who knows?

Has the equation now changed as far as Steve Smith is concerned, great to see the Aussies getting some of their own medicine. Pity Archer wasn't fit for the first test.

Bowl Archer for 4-6 overs at the start of an innings, take him off and then as soon as Steve Smith comes into bat give him the ball. Nothing better than seeing Aussie batsmen, irrespective at what number they come in at, jumping around at the crease, apologies AR.

Very interesting day tomorrow.

14 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

I have no sympathy for any Aussie who gets hit. Remember the last series over there when we were told to prepare to have our arms broken?  Those who live by the sword must die by the sword. 

Exactly Jean. There's even been a statement by the Aussie player's union moaning about the booing of Smith. While no-one wants to see someone hurt, proven cheat Steven Smith is apparently an "outstanding young man"...

It's here;

"The overnight events at Lords show the importance of the concussion protocols which have been developed in Australia over the last few years," president Greg Dyer and chief executive Alistair Nicholson said in a joint statement.

"Administrators in Australia working with the ACA and now the ICC have done a good job in putting the protocols in place. Plainly, they are necessary to protect the players who are struck. Let's remind ourselves - this is a workplace for these players.

"The reality is that cricket can be a dangerous sport, especially when the bowling is as ferocious as it has been in this series. To see the protocols practiced at Lords overnight was important and correct.

"What was unwelcome and incorrect was the sound of booing of an injured player. Cricket deserves much better than that. And Lords, the home of cricket, deserves much better than that also.

"What we witnessed was bravery from an outstanding young man. It should be commended not vilified. Over the English summer, generally the crowds have been terrific and really added to the contest. But when someone is hurt, yet the boos continue, it's time to call 'enough.'

"At any rate, the players have already served the toughest penalties in the history of cricket. Surely it is time to move forward."

This is a cricket association that:

• Had a captain (Michael Clarke) saying they wanted to break England players' arms
  • Have a current player (Lyon) saying he wanted to end England careers
  • Did not condemn the Aussie press hounding Stuart Broad as a "disgrace" over a far less serious offence (not walking) than Smith's cheating
  • Issued no statement announcing any sort of investigation when Mooen Ali spoke of racist abuse

I look forward to their statements on all the above before I take any notice of their latest one. 

While no-one wants anyone hurt or anyone booed when injured, it's takes some brassneck for a players' union to issue a statement like that considering their own fans and players' treatment of England players over the years.

Archived