onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Forum issue [being worked on]

I am looking into the issue when weird characters are appearing on inverted commas (see it's in my post above). I think it's a script I added (which I have just removed) but you may see things appear and disappear as I try and work out what is causing it.

Advert

I am looking into the issue when weird characters are appearing on inverted commas (see it's in my post above). I think it's a script I added (which I have just removed) but you may see things appear and disappear as I try and work out what is causing it.

Just testing the quote function still works

Hi,

I have now worked out the problem.

Annoyingly for those who liked the addition, it was the don't show quotes from ignored members add-on that I mentioned on this thread - https://www.onevalefan.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?38720-Enhancement-quoted-text-from-ignored-members-will-no-longer-appear

I have switched that off and will look for an alternative as I felt that was a useful addition to the site.

Thanks,

Rob

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Slow speed

Abig forum cache has been cleared as I've been investigating a few things so that may explain the slowness.

There is also a residual slowness as well which can best be explained as:

- The site is over 20 years old with this forum database over ten years. That's a huge size so there will be issues from time to time - but to delete it would clear your PMs, old posts and your stats so I keep it going and just accept the occasional slowness.

- Secondly, this site has real traffic surges. A signing or a match taking place can see users 30 times. I can't budget to have a server to cope with those higher numbers so when something dramatic happens the site usually struggles. Unless I win the Euro Millions (and that's somewhat unlikely as I don't play it) it may also be something to live with.

I will continue to try little tweaks to help with the speed - deleting old plugins, old user accounts etc but to maintain the history of the forum we're always going to have some slowness wheras the nature of football news means we will always have manic moments when the site can't cope with traffic.

Other forum things I am looking at:

Login - I have changed the login options at the top for desktop users. If anyone has any problems please email me.

Cookies - two users continue to have issues with being logged out - I am still investigating it.

Mobile - I am going to have a look around the mobile theme soon just to check all is working correctly.

If anyone ever wants to volunteer to help then also please get in touch:

I am always looking for memorabilia - videos, programmes, clippings, autographs etc. I can accept them via email or if via post I will usually scan these and return them to you in a matter of days. Please email me as I do have a lot of stuff myself so check to avoid duplication :wink:

Any volunteers to do some (admittedly dull tasks) like check over old blog sections for typos/missing images would be accepted. I have 8,400 posts so inevitably there are typos and issues with some. Please email me.

Similarly if you spot something wrong please email me so I can correct. I don't have a second pair of eyes to check my work over so errors occurs (everyone has quirks and I have certain player names I can never get right and certain words I always mis-spell). I am always happy to take your corrections - please email me.

Anyone with content ideas please let me know. You may want to contribute an opinion piece, a nostalgia piece or just pass on an idea for something to be featured on the site. Please email me.

My email is [email protected]

Thanks,

Rob

This might be daft but do long threads affect things? One forum I go on insists on new threads being started after 100 pages due to technical stuff I don't understand and the Brexit thread on here is approaching 800 pages.

Fair point. OVF does generate some super-long threads and logically they will take longer to generate. I will give it some thought...

Archived