onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

On this day in 1972...

Aussie Rules

I was also on the Bycars that day.

Sammy Morgan did get caps for NI, if I remember rightly he was a craggy, bustling center forward, think he went to Villa for a fee. I was hacked off when Brian Horton left, great player with a great shot on him. In that era Vale struggled to get 2000 fans at home at times.

I saw Morgan play for Northern Ireland in a 1-0 win against Wales in The Home International Championship in the early 70’s.

But although it was NI’s home game it was actually played at Goodison. I think it was due to security concerns in Belfast because of the so called “troubles”

Poor game as I remember with a funereal atmosphere. Glad I went, but not one to remember, other than Sammy’s appearance.

Advert

Summerscales broke his neck in the 2-2 draw with York city. i think Morgan went for 45K to Villa. up until a few years ago he was youth development officer at Norwich. Brian Hortons last game for us was a 2-2 draw at palace on a week night. i remember listening to it in a woodwork class at school on an old valve set on radio two. a Vale director wanted his 30k loan back and was prepared to forclose on the club for it. peter taylor the Brighton manager got to hear about it and offered exactly the exact amount and stole probably the best midfielder we ever had for peanuts. BTW, i cant remember what happened last week.

Hey Jamo, your tale of listening to Vale matches in school took me back to 1974 and our cup replay at Luton.

The snow (good Lord, footballers playing in snow) covered match at Vale had finished 1-1 (when bizarrely we played in their home strip) and the replay was played on a week day afternoon due to the power cuts.

I smuggled one of those farty little hand size radio’s into “Stumpy” Knight’s Classical Studies lesson and desperately pretended to be concentrating on the lesson. The game was up when Vale scored ! This sort of behaviour was frowned upon at Wolstanton Grammar and widely regarded as poor form.

However, at the time I thought the ensuing detention was worth it.

Also wasn’t that game the one and only Vale appearance for left back Andy Carr ?

When i look back and think off the wide open spaces of vale park i think of some of the wingers that have seen in my years of supporting my club just a few to be going with.

Cunliffe,Askey,Jackson,Fidler,Oscroft,Bingham,Portwood,Rowland,Ron Smith,Fox,Ainsworth,Guppy, Mcarthy,and Chamberlain.Then i think to myself this season we have had Montano and Hannant as wide players says it all really,but i will keep the faith i will see the likes above once more.

that Luton replay was played in the afternoon on a week day due to the power cuts where electricity was not allowed to be used for sport so no floodlights. i was sitting in a maths class at Moorland high. the teacher wondered where half the class had gone since the morning and most of the lads were on coaches to Luton. i had to wait til i left school and got a job at 16 before i went my first away game = Arnold in the FAC1 in 1977

I was at Mark Chambo's first game when he came on a sub at Huddersfield in I think '79. he rounded four players and struck the ball in the top corner from 35 yrds. we went mental and had to be moved as we were in the home end. how much would he be worth if it was modern day? major depression when Sjoke bought him.

Archived