onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

On this day in 1972...

Aussie Rules

Advert

Was Johnny James before or after this time, also John Flowers and Billy Summerscales.

As Pops says, John Flowers was late 60’s. John “Jesse” James was top scorer in the 69/70 promotion season and left Vale in ‘71. Bill Summerscales (whose brother John broke my ankle in a Sunday morning game) had a few appearances in 70/1 & 71/2, but became a regular the following season. Didn’t he break his neck playing for Vale ?

“Jesse” James was the front cover photo on the Vale programme one season. I excitedly told my mother, who didn’t understand the connection between Vale and a western cowboy !

:doh:

As my name says i always stood on the hamil with programme in hand waiting for the half time scores been put on the ABC letter boards on the running track in front of the lorne street Then we went posh and put a metal structure in the corner off hamil.Those were the days where my love of this club started and will never ever fade.

As Pops says, John Flowers was late 60’s. John “Jesse” James was top scorer in the 69/70 promotion season and left Vale in ‘71. Bill Summerscales (whose brother John broke my ankle in a Sunday morning game) had a few appearances in 70/1 & 71/2, but became a regular the following season. Didn’t he break his neck playing for Vale ?

“Jesse” James was the front cover photo on the Vale programme one season. I excitedly told my mother, who didn’t understand the connection between Vale and a western cowboy !

:doh:

Not quite correct. John Flowers was 70s definitely not 60s. He signed in 1971. John James left in 73. John Woodward was signed as his replacement. Bill Summerscales did break his neck in 1974 but he recovered to play more games.before leaving us for Rochdale in 1975 along with Tony Lacey. That squad was full of good honest professionals. There were some changes at the end of that season. Sproson, Morris, Sharratt, Flowers, Peyton all left. As noted above our big marque summer signing was Ray Williams.

Not the most gifted of teams but a lot of players there who I had an awful lot of time for, Sproson excluded in my list below.

Ball was in goal in our 69 promotion season under Lee.

Bobby Gough always had an eye for goal.

Morris would run all day for the team and always put in a shift.

Tommy Mac we all know about. Another one who was a Vale man through and through.

Morgan I think we signed from Gorleston Town and he got caps for NI with us didn't he? A few of us went to see him play at Wrexham I recall. Looked inoffensive but a hard player.

Brian Horton. Saw him on the day he signed from Hednesford and was bitterly upset when he left for Brighton. Excellent midfield player. All action, Great shot on him. Wonderful player for us and went on to bigger things of course.

We were pretty crap in those days but I remember them with great affection. Can't think why. We won nowt. Played in a rambling ground that was 9/10ths empty though you could walk round the pitch at half time and stand on the slag heap that was then the Hamil.

And if the tea bar had any tea left in that great rusty urn it was usually so strong and thick that most of it was poured away.

Great memories Sage, you've missed out two excellent players from that team in my opinion Johnny King and Ronnie Wilson, thinking about it every one of that team would scrap to the the death and thinking about Wrexham they generally did :wink: Hard as nails that team Lee only used 16 players that season if my memory serves me right.

Horton and Morgan didn't figure in Lee's promotion team they came later in the 3rd Div.

Not quite correct. John Flowers was 70s definitely not 60s. He signed in 1971. John James left in 73. John Woodward was signed as his replacement. Bill Summerscales did break his neck in 1974 but he recovered to play more games.before leaving us for Rochdale in 1975 along with Tony Lacey. That squad was full of good honest professionals. There were some changes at the end of that season. Sproson, Morris, Sharratt, Flowers, Peyton all left. As noted above our big marque summer signing was Ray Williams.

I thought so, was thinking my memory was going.

I remember seeing Flowers and James and I didn’t start going till 71.

Thanks for correcting me EV.

Great memories Sage, you've missed out two excellent players from that team in my opinion Johnny King and Ronnie Wilson, thinking about it every one of that team would scrap to the the death and thinking about Wrexham they generally did :wink: Hard as nails that team Lee only used 16 players that season if my memory serves me right.

Horton and Morgan didn't figure in Lee's promotion team they came later in the 3rd Div.

Yes, those games against Wrexham in that era were always feisty affairs, both on and off the pitch.

I seem to remember a game at Vale around ‘77ish when it “kicked off” between both sets of players in the tunnel. That little s**t Arfon Griffiths was involved and obviously Tommy McLaren ! I think Griffiths had missed a penalty and Tommy took the opportunity to remind him !

As a boy in the '50s and standing in the Hamil end with my mates it seemed to us that the only time players like Roy Sproson didn't turn out for the 'Vale was because they were dead or dying - and in the case of the latter we would jokingly say they better have a doctors paper :smile:

Great memories Sage, you've missed out two excellent players from that team in my opinion Johnny King and Ronnie Wilson

I didn't deliberately miss them out. I was just commenting on most of the players in that picture. But yes, King was a rock at the back in that 69 team and Ron Wilson was yet another whole-hearted player who scored from about 40 yards one game I think, at the Hamil End, though my memory might be playing tricks on me.

I always liked the all white, Leeds United strip.

But I can remember when we played in black and gold/amber and I'd love to see us have that as our second strip. I've never really liked blue or grey. Yellow is ok as it reminds me a lot of away games with Rudgie's teams.

I think Roy's legs had gone and that final game was just to say goodbye. But, he was, what by then, over 40?

Raymond Williams was indeed a great purchase from Rangers (Stafford not Glasgow!). We signed a lot back then from Stafford who were the kings of non league football and had a very good team, scoring loads of goals. I remember watching them play Peterboro in a Cup game at the old Stoke ground.

Terry Bailey followed and Ray, John Woodward and him got us a lot of goals. They were all very direct and Woodward and Williams were both quick. Good pairing but I seem to remember it didn't last very long.

As a boy in the '50s and standing in the Hamil end with my mates it seemed to us that the only time players like Roy Sproson didn't turn out for the 'Vale was because they were dead or dying - and in the case of the latter we would jokingly say they better have a doctors paper :smile:

You were so lucky Barry to see the 53-54 team and the Fourth Division winners in 59 was it?

I don't think I've ever seen us win a title nor get as far in the Cup.

Memories like that are golden.

You were so lucky Barry to see the 53-54 team and the Fourth Division winners in 59 was it?

I don't think I've ever seen us win a title nor get as far in the Cup.

Memories like that are golden.

Indeed Nick, but of course I never got to see the Blackpool and Semi Final games - mum in her wisdom said no.

I do remember walking up the Hamil and walking with us were our heroes - especially Ray King. Boy, did we think we were posh :yes:

As my name says i always stood on the hamil with programme in hand waiting for the half time scores been put on the ABC letter boards on the running track in front of the lorne street Then we went posh and put a metal structure in the corner off hamil.Those were the days where my love of this club started and will never ever fade.

With a distinct smell of hotdogs and onions in the air, from the bloke with the hotdog cart.

Not the most gifted of teams but a lot of players there who I had an awful lot of time for, Sproson excluded in my list below.

Ball was in goal in our 69 promotion season under Lee.

Bobby Gough always had an eye for goal.

Morris would run all day for the team and always put in a shift.

Tommy Mac we all know about. Another one who was a Vale man through and through.

Morgan I think we signed from Gorleston Town and he got caps for NI with us didn't he? A few of us went to see him play at Wrexham I recall. Looked inoffensive but a hard player.

Brian Horton. Saw him on the day he signed from Hednesford and was bitterly upset when he left for Brighton. Excellent midfield player. All action, Great shot on him. Wonderful player for us and went on to bigger things of course.

We were pretty crap in those days but I remember them with great affection. Can't think why. We won nowt. Played in a rambling ground that was 9/10ths empty though you could walk round the pitch at half time and stand on the slag heap that was then the Hamil.

And if the tea bar had any tea left in that great rusty urn it was usually so strong and thick that most of it was poured away.

I was also on the Bycars that day.

Sammy Morgan did get caps for NI, if I remember rightly he was a craggy, bustling center forward, think he went to Villa for a fee. I was hacked off when Brian Horton left, great player with a great shot on him. In that era Vale struggled to get 2000 fans at home at times.

Archived