onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list

Jacob_123

Askey also said he was hoping we can get a decent striker in without having to pay too much, which sounded a bit ominous to me. Good strikers cost money and I hope the new owners can find the brass to help him out. Our previous owner was notorious for saying he could find a better striker than Pope for less money and look how that went. If we are looking for quality in a forward position, we'll have to find the readies, unless we are very, very lucky.

Carol and Kevin have a to do list a yard long, every item needing money to be spent on it, so it's not surprising if they have to set priorities. I would imagine though that on field spending is at the top of the list.

Advert

Askey also said he was hoping we can get a decent striker in without having to pay too much, which sounded a bit ominous to me. Good strikers cost money and I hope the new owners can find the brass to help him out. Our previous owner was notorious for saying he could find a better striker than Pope for less money and look how that went. If we are looking for quality in a forward position, we'll have to find the readies, unless we are very, very lucky.

I don't think it all depends on money. Clearly paying money out can help but it's not a 100% guarantee.

I know I am going to go back a fair bit now but... we paid £300,000 for Peter Beadle and he was rubbish. We paid £3,000 for Andy Jones and he was not.

I understand that if you want a "quality, proven striker" you will probably have to pay for that but as we know to our cost, sometimes another club's "brilliant" player can often be a let-down when they move to us.

If you have a quality scout then you may still be able to get a bargain. I understand Rudge played a part in Clark joining earlier this season - perhaps he has a couple of "chancers" he may recommend?

Personally, I would be happy with the way Rudge used to do it - bring in one of each - an experienced old hand (a Ally Brown, a Ron Futcher, a Nicky Cross) and a young rookie (an Andy Jones, a Darren Beckford) to learn off them.

If we end up with an experienced striker to pair with Pope and one we don't "have to pay too much" for that would work for me.

Didn't I hear Askey say this morning on the radio that we wanted two strikers in asap because the only one we had left now was Pope?

In which case it suggests that Miller has gone - which some of us thought was the case weeks ago. But I've seen nothing about him.

Cryptically he also said something about wanting people who were professional.

Yes, I heard him say that. Needs to get more goals in the team as we rely too heavily on tom and he's now the only striker left.

As rob said I'd expect, and take, one or two lads with a hunger and maybe a point to prove to come in and learn off popey.

There's some decent strikers that posted good returns playing up front with pope.

This is my issue with vale fans now. Whilst smurthwaite was in charges signing these young lads from non league was frowned upon on here. Now it’s completely changed.

And to a post I’ve seen earlier stating they’ve probably got more important things to spend money on that the budget.. really? It’s a football club once again the last chairman would be slated for this.

That is part of the fat blue ones legacy though. He fleeced Carol and Kevin for more than he deserved for the club after wrecking it and that obviously doesn't help their budget. Also, Burgess actually has some pedigree and could probably start in the first team, Norm was only interested in bargains that he could punt out for more money to some gullible club, he didn't consider their use to the manager for now.

Yes, I heard him say that. Needs to get more goals in the team as we rely too heavily on tom and he's now the only striker left.

As rob said I'd expect, and take, one or two lads with a hunger and maybe a point to prove to come in and learn off popey.

There's some decent strikers that posted good returns playing up front with pope.

Proven 20 goal a season strikers cost serious money and lets be honest every team in our division wants at least 1. Also if I was that individual realistically the Vale would be way down the pecking order as a result of our last 3 seasons. The same with serious potential 20 goal a season strikers the same criteria applies to them. So looks like we are looking to uncover a hidden gem, as mentioned earlier its been done before. Just wary of the obvious pitfalls in that we might have to kiss a lot of frogs to find a Prince.

This is my issue with vale fans now. Whilst smurthwaite was in charges signing these young lads from non league was frowned upon on here. Now it’s completely changed.

The difference is that Askey also picks the team on a Saturday.

That is part of the fat blue ones legacy though. He fleeced Carol and Kevin for more than he deserved for the club after wrecking it and that obviously doesn't help their budget. Also, Burgess actually has some pedigree and could probably start in the first team, Norm was only interested in bargains that he could punt out for more money to some gullible club, he didn't consider their use to the manager for now.

The Smugthwaite thought every young kid was going to be a Hugill.

Not from me it hasn't. I've always been a fan of bringing in from non-league as I think you can take a gamble on a few and usually see one or two make the step up.

For example, I think Oyeleke has broken through last season and I personally felt Angus could well have followed suit given a chance. I also wonder if Trickett-Smith can do so next season.

I also don't think Smurthwaite's recent purchases were "non-league" anyhow - the ones he brought in like Edser and Whelan were academy kids from higher leagues - a different thing altogether to non-league prospects.

The Smugthwaite thought every young kid was going to be a Hugill.

The ironic thing about that is that I remember him saying that the Academy was a waste of money, cost a fortune and blamed it on Paul Wildes.

However, out of those eleven players, ten didn't make it but one (Hugill) made the club its biggest fee in decades. Not a bad Wildes thing to do then!

And that for me shows that taking a gamble can work. Not every player will progress but the odd gem (like Hugill) can more than make up for it.

However, the key is to scout players properly (Jimmy Bell of Accrington was the Academy manager wasn't he? That's probably a telling thing IMO) wheras I felt Smurthwaite just relied on agents touting him the next big thing and his approach was a completely scattergun one.

Having cleared out so many players realistically there’s no way we can expect 8 or 10 signings that everyone will perceive as being “quality”, so folks may as well get used to that idea here and now.

However, just a couple or three good additions would make a massive difference when added to the first team players who were retained.

It’s still early days. 👍

The ironic thing about that is that I remember him saying that the Academy was a waste of money, cost a fortune and blamed it on Paul Wildes.

However, out of those eleven players, ten didn't make it but one (Hugill) made the club its biggest fee in decades. Not a bad Wildes thing to do then!

And that for me shows that taking a gamble can work. Not every player will progress but the odd gem (like Hugill) can more than make up for it.

However, the key is to scout players properly (Jimmy Bell of Accrington was the Academy manager wasn't he? That's probably a telling thing IMO) wheras I felt Smurthwaite just relied on agents touting him the next big thing and his approach was a completely scattergun one.

Bell was the manager, George Foster was the chief scout IIRC.

And to a post I’ve seen earlier stating they’ve probably got more important things to spend money on that the budget.. really? It’s a football club once again the last chairman would be slated for this.

I'm a bit more confident now that Smurthwaite isn't scouting them.

Askey knows what burgess can do as he's had him before.

Hannant apart, I got the feeling we were signing lads at random.

Archived