onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list

Jacob_123

I'm hoping with a bit of Askey persuasion that Rawlinson realises he needs pastures new and going to be interesting how it pans out with Miller.

Of those released I'd be amazed if any of them were part of the ' seen things not seen in 30 years of football ' group.

So are we still left with a few wrong uns.

Sad for Kay as he has done ok but I'd imagine he is wise enough to of expected it at 36.

Turner just never cut the mustard.

Elliott looked lively but in that team so could I have done !!

Hannant I'll echo what others have said, a grafter , a worker. But not much end product as in goals or assists.

Considering Bolton who were championship had an alleged interest I'm slightly surprised.

If we come up against him he'll get a good reception I hope as he always have it his all

Over to you now Mr Askey and I really hope once and for all we finally do go quality over quantity.

Fingers crossed

Advert

Howkins did fine...against a team that pumped long balls up, for him to battle it out for. That is his strong force.

So, just what is required in the 4th Division then?!

As I said, there are seemingly issues with Howkins that render him unsuitable. But we need someone like him.

Legge gave one of the best centre-back performances I've seen away at Crewe in the Autumn but by the end of the season, after he came back from his spell out due to epilepsy, he was looking every year of his age and was very poor and vulnerable on the ground.

He's a good backup option but we need someone younger, less legg(e)y to partner Smith, so I'd be disappointed if we're stuck with both Legge & Rawlinson as centre-back options next season.

Well, they've gone so there's not much point in shedding too many tears over the odd one or two who might have made a good contribution next season. Arthur certainly has his work cut out so, first things first, let's hope he gets his own contract sorted so he can make a start.

We only have 10 players under contract with a few more still to be decided, so finding a similar number who are going to gel into a team and make us a force to be reckoned with, is going to be no easy task. It looks as if he has already been making tentative enquiries but he has a lot more to do. In his favour is the budget, about the tenth biggest last season, which will not be spread so thinly. New owners, increased season ticket sales and our newly found optimism for the future are also going to count but it will be the length of contract on offer and size of wage packet that will count for potential new players. At least you have decent owners behind you.

So good luck, Arthur, we look forward to an exciting, optimistic close season. Please, after the last three seasons, let's have a decent squad so at least we can make some headway up the table. That's all we're asking!

Well that was pretty brutal. Officially there's 10 left, but I can see that coming down to 8 when it's done. Interesting we haven't announced that we've made some players available. Suspect the club are keeping that to themselves. I would think there will be National League clubs willing to take a chance on Miller, and we should take them up on it if the deal is right.

Hope we can keep Oyeleke and Worrall. Both are of the required quality to get us out of this division on their day. Now it's time for them to step up and be a consistent force. Rawlinson, would be best for his own career to move on I think, suspect his distribution isn't good enough for the style Askey wants to play. I'm unsure on Legge, he's been good at times, poor at others. He's getting on a bit now though, but I'm sure he's a good influence.

The rest? I'm not sad about any of them. If they were good enough they'd have been retained. Hannant surely was a close call, but has he really pushed on from when he arrived? I don't think we've seen enough in terms of quality from him and I don't think he fits the system Askey will likely want to start with.

It all makes sense, but it's going to be a busy summer. If we're truly a changed club, then our standard should be 'Can this player get us in to League One?' If it's a no, then you find someone else. It may take us 2 summers to put a squad together that can truly challenge, but there's no point in bringing players in that get us to midtable. They're the ones you fill the squad with at the end, on short term deals to make sure we have the numbers.

The only one I'd have kept is Hannatt. 8 grafters, 2 good players and a goalie goes a long way in this league. There's a few on contract I'd have let go first. He can also cover a few roles and did top the paltry assists table.

Absolutely amazed (and a bit saddened) to see Dior Angus go. Goodness we're short of anyone (other than Tom Pope) to score goals. This lad has scored for every club he's been loaned out to and from all reports was a model professional at each of these clubs. He's only young, a natural goalscorer and one IM (humble)O that we should have kept for future development. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes on to another league club, scores goals and becomes a valuable property! Does anyone else agree that he was worth a punt?

Absolutely amazed (and a bit saddened) to see Dior Angus go. Goodness we're short of anyone (other than Tom Pope) to score goals. This lad has scored for every club he's been loaned out to and from all reports was a model professional at each of these clubs. He's only young, a natural goalscorer and one IM (humble)O that we should have kept for future development. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes on to another league club, scores goals and becomes a valuable property! Does anyone else agree that he was worth a punt?

I'll be surprised if any league club is looking at our list of released players to be honest. Only 2 league clubs finished below us last year, and I suspect Orient and Salford will have a bit of money to throw at next season.

The only surprise to me is that one or two more were not told they are leaving. Maybe that's in the pipeline.

But I'd also expect the numbers to drop even more.

We all have our favourites but if we want a leaner, better quality squad then we really don't need players who will warm the bench for 12 months and not be regulars. We'll need a few squad players of course but there is little point doing what we've done for the last 3 seasons and amass a squad of 35 players, most of whom don't ever play for the first team. That was madness.

We should be able to add a couple of good loan players to strengthen our first XI later in the summer and that's another sensible way to go, saving money for our own signings.

Should be a fascinating summer - again!!

Agree with Joe.

I would not be at all bothered to have been left with a squad of 3, namely Brown, Pope and Oyeleke. Possibly a 4th in Conlon.

Rest can go.

Might sound harsh but Legge, if he extends, will cost goals and points next season due to his inability to move.

Rawlinson isn't good enough. However, if his rumoured medical problems are true, then it is right for the football club to retain him if only to help him out, like Haldane. Binning him off is not an option.

With the rumours that had gone round I am massively surprised to see Gibbons and Miller retained.

Hopefully there is the possibility that Joyce, Miller and maybe Montaño can still be moved on.

IMO we need two full backs, two centre halves, two centre mids, two out and out wingers, a utility midfielder, and two forwards. 11 new players. Askey apparently wants 12. Good, hopefully Ryan Lloyd isn't one of them. No offence but we've seen it before with Joe Davis and its just ******* depressing.

I would think there will be National League clubs willing to take a chance on Miller, and we should take them up on it if the deal is right.

Enquiring club: 'Will you stump for the taxi?'

JA: 'Done. He'll be there in an hour'.

Sounds about the right deal to me

Whats left is a good base if we can tie Worrall and Manny down, i'd keep Legge also, hes decent and experienced.

If we let a couple of the contracted go if leaves us a base to add quality of 6 of 7 players to it.

Joyce should improve in a more mobile midfield, he started to show it when Kay was moved out the XI.

See what happens, hopefully get Wozza and Manny sorted.

Agreed.

Archived