• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Statistic. Vale bottom of time spent winning league

JohnJames

Advert:

facts normally tend to be tailored to suit whoever is providing them. I don’t think this surprises anyone who attends the games.

This is down to being binary when it comes to attacking and a midfield lacking in quality and who turn up as individuals when they can be bothered.

Again with the hope of not sounding boring we need to change our approach from the long ball to Tom Pope. I can’t say that I’ve seen other players getting close to Pope and supporting him, since we played Luton Town at home since last season.

Advert:

You are right.

We don't have anyone with lightening pace who can frighten opponents, on a quick break or running from the half way line. No McPhee or the like.

Neither do we have energetic box to box midfield players who run past Pope and get into the box regularly, like a Taylor or an Earle.

Other teams as a consequence push up and we end up with an isolated and slow Pope on his own 30 yards away from any other player.

Askey changed things quite well and got the likes of Conlon and Worrall pushing up and trying to play on the front foot. But there are few goals in them and when it does drop we have no-one who can shoot powerfully from 25-30 yards and score ten goals from midfield. We always had a few in the past - Horton, Bailey, Bridgy, Dodds in his prime. Now? I haven't checked the figures but I'm guessing our whole midfield (5-6 players put together) haven't managed 10 league goals between them.

It must change. Three years on the trot now and no goalscorers in sight, apart from Pope. 2-3 more are an absolute necessity this summer. We can't start another season with no goals in the entire team. Even our centre backs don't score.

Interesting stat given that we didn't actually win many games through late goals.

Of the 12 games we won, we were in a winning position in 8 of them by half time. Against Bury we took the lead in the 51st minute. The only late-ish winners we scored were Northampton away (75th minute) and the two Crewe games (75 and 78).

So we weren't exactly Turkey in Euro 2008.

Up until MK every time we had lead we won the game.

MK and Bury were the only games where we didn't win having lead.

I'll get my anorak[/quote

We didn't win the home against Notts when we had the lead?

We didn't win the home game against Cheltenham when we had the lead?

Advert:

Archived