Tom Pope... Bury FC forum

Advert:

I’ve just read the above thread on the Bury fans forum. Nice to see fans being so complimentary about an ex player, who by the sounds of it, wished he was still there, even if for a cameo role coming from the bench

Thanks for that, appreciation of ex players always appreciated, also as a Notts mate said "We would not be at the bottom with Pope in our team"

It's nice to see that Bury fans appreciate him more than some Vale fans.

Top scorer again and by all accounts had a blinder yesterday.

I'm not for one moment suggesting that he's the future and I'd love us to have a couple more decent strikers in our team for next season but I think Pope, if managed well, can still do a decent job for us at this level for another 18 months with a bit of luck.

A nice story that.

It's nice to see that Bury fans appreciate him more than some Vale fans.

Top scorer again and by all accounts had a blinder yesterday.

I'm not for one moment suggesting that he's the future and I'd love us to have a couple more decent strikers in our team for next season but I think Pope, if managed well, can still do a decent job for us at this level for another 18 months with a bit of luck.

A nice story that.

Need to get him fit. Have him concentrate on staying in the goal scoring zone. Other players must be improved to offer an alternative threat. If we have more than one threat he can flourish again. Even if he was say 35-40, he could still be really useful from the bench with reasonable fitness. Of course the ankles, knees, hip and back need to hold up.

Advert:

Need to get him fit. Have him concentrate on staying in the goal scoring zone. Other players must be improved to offer an alternative threat. If we have more than one threat he can flourish again. Even if he was say 35-40, he could still be really useful from the bench with reasonable fitness. Of course the ankles, knees, hip and back need to hold up.
An option on the bench with a reputation would earn his keep, fitness in his own hands but as you say joints, under stress, are not so manageable. The fitness trainer should know all the angles though.

Yet our fans have been absolute numpties about him on here!

Not numpties mate just being realistic. If and it's a big if we can get two wingers who can beat their man get to the byeline and feed the Pope then I'd play him 90 minutes. If not then like a number of people have said and impact substitution maybe 60-65 minute. He has to be man managed and that comes from the manager...

Not numpties mate just being realistic. If and it's a big if we can get two wingers who can beat their man get to the byeline and feed the Pope then I'd play him 90 minutes. If not then like a number of people have said and impact substitution maybe 60-65 minute. He has to be man managed and that comes from the manager...

People haven’t been saying that though mate what you’ve just said is realistic but posters on here have regularly said he is finished

Advert:

I’ve just read the above thread on the Bury fans forum. Nice to see fans being so complimentary about an ex player, who by the sounds of it, wished he was still there, even if for a cameo role coming from the bench

Thanks, there are many decent posts on there but I liked this one in particular:

Pope posted a similar 'apologies guys, it's just business' response on social media after the reverse fixture last year. His attitude and approach is one of many reasons why I love the game at our level. There are a number of guys who spend their careers in the lower leagues, keeping it real and forging a strong connection with the fans.

I agree with others who have posted already - he is exactly the type of target man we've missed since he left us. A clever player and someone who has been instrumental in keeping Vale in the FL.

Spot on.

He doesn't quite get the appreciation he deserves. I agree with the poster above that this man is a living legend and we'll miss him when he hangs up his boots or moves on.

It makes it even more special that he's local and a vale fan. There can't be many modern day footballers that truly represent their supporters like he does with us. Long live the Pope.

Have him concentrate on staying in the goal scoring zone.

I think this is a good point. I remember watching akinfenwa closely a few years ago when he destroyed us. He didn’t move outside of a channel in the centre of the pitch the width of the penalty area. And didn’t go back beyond the half way line. He literally spent the whole 90 minutes in that one stretch of grass and was highly effective.

I think this is a good point. I remember watching akinfenwa closely a few years ago when he destroyed us. He didn’t move outside of a channel in the centre of the pitch the width of the penalty area. And didn’t go back beyond the half way line. He literally spent the whole 90 minutes in that one stretch of grass and was highly effective.

Same is true of Glen Murray for Brighton. He's 35 now and over the last three years he's scored over 50 goals, playing very much in the channels and nowt else. Play Pope in the same way and that would be a good return over the next three seasons.

Advert:

Same is true of Glen Murray for Brighton. He's 35 now and over the last three years he's scored over 50 goals, playing very much in the channels and nowt else. Play Pope in the same way and that would be a good return over the next three seasons.

With a reputation a striker cannot be left alone just because he has slowed down, his mind, control and goal touch are still there.

Tom certainly looks a different animal after being dropped and having to fight to regain his place in the team.

His cameos against Crewe and Northampton were exactly what I was advocating when asking for him to be dropped or used more effectively. The return to Popeball for the Macc game was a stark reminder of how easily we can fall back into the trap of starting him every week and losing his impact.

Even though he is contracted it looks like Miller may be on the move this summer. One of the most crucial signings of pre season will be someone to challenge Popey for his position as lead striker, or someone who can play alongside him. I fear for us if the backup for Pope is Angus and Turner. Hopefully Synectics have learnt from NS that you have to pay a premium for centre forwards, they demand a higher wage than a left back.

With a reputation a striker cannot be left alone just because he has slowed down, his mind, control and goal touch are still there.

Remembering Jimmy Greenhoff's time at VP; you could tell he'd lost pace but he more than made up for it in skill.

Speed is transitory, class is permanent.

Archived