onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who should we sign?

leedsvaliant

Never understood the furore around Howkins. A jobbing League 2 big centre half, with added injury problems. Askey outright refused to play him at times, and as soon as Legge's suspension was up we didn't see him again.

He's good in the air as he's massive but on his feet he's like bambi. A nippy player gets the best of him on every occasion.

If we were to apply the logic of some of this forum, the season last before he couldn't get in a very average Cambridge side, playing twice, neither of them starts. Therefore he must be bad.

Of course he then came to us and people saw him actually play, and is now largely being heralded.

Wish him well but don't really see him getting any higher than League 1 in his career, and that's if he dramatically improves.

In terms of Bennett; I know little about, so I'm not going to trawl Wikipedia and make a judgement based on the numbers on there. Would appear he would, finally, be a target man to take the pressure off Pope needing to play 46 lots of 90 minutes and inevitably needing surgery in January, before hobbling through the run in. Morecambe fans seem to rate him. A FL expert I follow seems to think a lot of League 2 teams will want him as a backup target man, ala Matt Rhead at Lincoln. Thankfully we have, when fit, one of the best target men in the league, but it'd be great for him to have competition for the first time in years.

As Askey has stated, the pacey striker is the key.

Advert

A quick note on Wiki numbers, before you make judgements;

Kurtis Guthrie, a man who had grown men literally creaming themselves and heralding him as the second coming of El Fenomeno, has scored 11 league goals this season. His best ever season is 12. Prior to that, he scored 4 goals in back to back seasons for non-league Welling. He had one great game against us, but if he signed tomorrow this forum would orgasm.

Richie Bennett, on the other hand, scored 2 less goals than Guthrie, despite being loaned out to a team worse than us, and is met with scepticism as the wiki numbers aren't up to scratch.

Just asking for consistency lads. People are very quick to form judgements after a player has one good game at Vale Park. There have been plenty of farmers who have taken us to shreds in the past and then never be seen again (distinctly remember playing Barnet away in the promotion 12/13 season. A decrepit Edgar Davids ran the show and they had a centre half called Andy Iro who locked down Pope, who was the hottest striker in the country at the time. He had Popey on strings. Was convinced he was the future. That was literally his last ever game of football, at the age of 28).

Just feel we can all be far too reactionary about new signings. Everyone's a scout with Wiki Stats and Soccerbase, but will openly confess to have never seen these players kick a football. Obviously that doesn't stymie people having opinions, but its a weak basis for judging a signing.

And you're sure this is literally true?

Judging by the comments on here after the Stevenage game, it is only logical to presume that yes, men were brought to literal orgasm by a big forward playing well and scoring against the Vale.

EDIT: I'm clearly joking, thank you for the pedantry

A quick note on Wiki numbers, before you make judgements;

Kurtis Guthrie, a man who had grown men literally creaming themselves and heralding him as the second coming of El Fenomeno, has scored 11 league goals this season. His best ever season is 12. Prior to that, he scored 4 goals in back to back seasons for non-league Welling. He had one great game against us, but if he signed tomorrow this forum would orgasm.

Richie Bennett, on the other hand, scored 2 less goals than Guthrie, despite being loaned out to a team worse than us, and is met with scepticism as the wiki numbers aren't up to scratch.

Just asking for consistency lads. People are very quick to form judgements after a player has one good game at Vale Park. There have been plenty of farmers who have taken us to shreds in the past and then never be seen again (distinctly remember playing Barnet away in the promotion 12/13 season. A decrepit Edgar Davids ran the show and they had a centre half called Andy Iro who locked down Pope, who was the hottest striker in the country at the time. He had Popey on strings. Was convinced he was the future. That was literally his last ever game of football, at the age of 28).

Just feel we can all be far too reactionary about new signings. Everyone's a scout with Wiki Stats and Soccerbase, but will openly confess to have never seen these players kick a football. Obviously that doesn't stymie people having opinions, but its a weak basis for judging a signing.

Was simply stating how many he’s scored. Wasn’t being a ‘scout’.

For your point on howkins being bambi? No chance one of the best centre backs we’ve had for a while and far better than what we have.

Judging by the comments on here after the Stevenage game, it is only logical to presume that yes, men were brought to literal orgasm by a big forward playing well and scoring against the Vale.

EDIT: I'm clearly joking, thank you for the pedantry

TBF he did impress that day, albeit in a decent side, which does help. I don’t remember changing my underwear..... not saying it definitely didn’t happen though....

On the ground he was an absolute shambles. Couldn't distribute, and if you ran at him he was in panic. He's fine for League 2 as most defending is in the air.

If he was so good he would have started more, but despite Legge's tendency for an error I would still take him over Howkins, on current ability. Obviously age tilts it in Howkins' favour but there was a reason Askey only played Howkins when Legge was suspended.

Can’t agree with you on this one Joe, he looked a really solid prospect the season before, in fact most thought him a great signing second time around but, as we know, it didn’t work out. It’s a bit simplistic to imply Askey didn’t rate him, he may or may not have done. Askey went on record as saying Howkins arrived unfit. We needed someone ready to slot straight in the team. What else happened behind the scenes we know not. What we can see, both from the retained list and signings so far, is that Askey is playing it somewhat safe with the players signed thus far in that he knows their characters. We can assume that he wants to avoid a repeat of whatever shenanigans went on last season.

Anyhow Howkins is elsewhere now so it’ll be interesting to see how he progresses. Feel free to come back here at the end of the season and tell me “I told you so!” 👍

Was simply stating how many he’s scored. Wasn’t being a ‘scout’.

For your point on howkins being bambi? No chance one of the best centre backs we’ve had for a while and far better than what we have.

Howkins is a useless centre back if he's in the treatment room. He is the same age as Nathan Smith. He's been on loan with us twice, with Mansfield and with Cambridge during the last three years. In that time he's made 25 league starts. Smith has made 136. We can't take risks on players with dodgy fitness records if we are intending to have a smaller squad.

For those moaning about the signing (both current and proposed) there is a great article in the Sentinel from Robbie Earle

He answers the question of how Askey gets the squad to punch above it’s weight.

Quote:

“Well you don't have as many talented individuals as the top sides, but you replace that with team spirit, work rate, organisation and discipline.“

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/robbie-earle-column-port-vale-2972240.amp#click=https://t.co/401OdOjxJX

We can all talk about sign this or that player, but as said we need the right type of people the right character ! We don't want any bad apples. In this we have to trust JAs judgement because I am sure he appreciated that.

Howkins is a useless centre back if he's in the treatment room. He is the same age as Nathan Smith. He's been on loan with us twice, with Mansfield and with Cambridge during the last three years. In that time he's made 25 league starts. Smith has made 136. We can't take risks on players with dodgy fitness records if we are intending to have a smaller squad.

I still think he would be worth a go. I get he’s had injuries but he was fantastic the first loan spell with us. If he’s stays fit he’s the best centre back in this league imo.

Can’t agree with you on this one Joe, he looked a really solid prospect the season before, in fact most thought him a great signing second time around but, as we know, it didn’t work out. It’s a bit simplistic to imply Askey didn’t rate him, he may or may not have done. Askey went on record as saying Howkins arrived unfit. We needed someone ready to slot straight in the team. What else happened behind the scenes we know not. What we can see, both from the retained list and signings so far, is that Askey is playing it somewhat safe with the players signed thus far in that he knows their characters. We can assume that he wants to avoid a repeat of whatever shenanigans went on last season.

Anyhow Howkins is elsewhere now so it’ll be interesting to see how he progresses. Feel free to come back here at the end of the season and tell me “I told you so!” 👍

Spot on Ray re Howkins. Askey is clearly signing players he can trust to have a professional attitude - something which was clearly missing in the squad when he arrived. This should serve us well for a comfortable mid table finish and if we can spend the remaining budget on a couple of decent strikers then for me a great summer.

A few we have been linked with would be very happy with - a huge upgrade on last year.

#TrustAskey

I desperately want all this to work. But its hard to trust again after we have had 3 successive manger who have absolutely wasted transfer money on non league standard players.

Then you have Askey, a man who has not succeeded as yet outside of non league, signing non league players and Macclesfield rejects.

I will throw my support behind whoever comes in and hope it all comes off. But I can't say that I'm particularly hopeful based on our current and rumoured business.

Let's face it, everyone was saying "we've got to cut our cloth, he's saving the budget for up top, pace to burn and loads of goals" and our rumoured new striker is...a 6'4 target man with a patchy record and only 15 league goals in his career. Hardly what we all had in mind.

It's all well and good saying keep the faith and let Askey pick his men, but we said the same about Bruno brown and aspo. Look how that went.

Spot on Ray re Howkins. Askey is clearly signing players he can trust to have a professional attitude - something which was clearly missing in the squad when he arrived. This should serve us well for a comfortable mid table finish and if we can spend the remaining budget on a couple of decent strikers then for me a great summer.

A few we have been linked with would be very happy with - a huge upgrade on last year.

#TrustAskey

Who are the players that would be a huge upgrade?

I desperately want all this to work. But its hard to trust again after we have had 3 successive manger who have absolutely wasted transfer money on non league standard players.

Then you have Askey, a man who has not succeeded as yet outside of non league, signing non league players and Macclesfield rejects.

I will throw my support behind whoever comes in and hope it all comes off. But I can't say that I'm particularly hopeful based on our current and rumoured business.

Let's face it, everyone was saying "we've got to cut our cloth, he's saving the budget for up top, pace to burn and loads of goals" and our rumoured new striker is...a 6'4 target man with a patchy record and only 15 league goals in his career. Hardly what we all had in mind.

It's all well and good saying keep the faith and let Askey pick his men, but we said the same about Bruno brown and aspo. Look how that went.

For your own sanity I would just wait and see who comes in rather than creating disasters in your head that haven’t happened yet.

Bennett has only been rumoured on here... no basis whatsoever.

Archived